Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2014, 05:40 PM

6 posts, read 5,706 times

Advertisements

Hello to all

We believe we have a stable and continuous me but is it really reality ? Is it possible to drill directly the illusion of the self ?

In seeking to better understand the self, I came across this site:

http://illusionoftheself.blogspot.com

What do you think of it ?

[...] What does made the brain with all sensations, all perceptions it receives? It unifies behind one banner: "I" .
Thus, it can tie all internal and external phenomena, as varied as they are, to a single entity. This is handy. I see, I sing, I understand, I am moved. Always I, I, I, used continuously and applied to everything. I laugh, I tan, I mean, I digest. This is a convenient word to unify the whole.
By dint to be called by name, by dint of say "I", mind firmly believes in the existence of a self that would be a person in a corps. But this person is not found. Actually, There ? Nobody! [...]

Last edited by IanDL; 11-12-2014 at 06:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 05:55 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,940,876 times
I like the website---will finish reading it all and answer later.

Old 11-13-2014, 12:05 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,093,735 times
Yes, ideas of identity are often ignorant of realities. When I took my elective introduction to philosophy course I was very troubled by the topic of philosophical questions upon ideas of identity. Then I found something that fit the "I," a river. but the idea of the candle is also useful. The mind is fleeting (thoughts and memories are impermanent), the body is fleeting (atom in atom out). A third cannot be part of the self, for there is nothing to identify it. Yet a river is not always the same water, not always the same course or speed. Yet we still find something to label a "river" identity there.

Old 11-13-2014, 04:57 AM

23,294 posts, read 10,606,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Yes, ideas of identity are often ignorant of realities. When I took my elective introduction to philosophy course I was very troubled by the topic of philosophical questions upon ideas of identity. Then I found something that fit the "I," a river. but the idea of the candle is also useful. The mind is fleeting (thoughts and memories are impermanent), the body is fleeting (atom in atom out). A third cannot be part of the self, for there is nothing to identify it. Yet a river is not always the same water, not always the same course or speed. Yet we still find something to label a "river" identity there.

All the rivers run into the Ocean, all the oceans fall like snow onto the mountains, and the mountains melt the snow and run into the river, and all the rivers run to the ocean but the ocean is never full.

A tree is planted and it's fruits are taken as oil, and then the fruits of plants are taken to make a wick.

These make the fire, and a fire will illuminate a house, but the fire is nothing without a wick, and a wick is nothing without the oil.

Old 11-13-2014, 05:20 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,662,044 times
Its true in a way. But the events that form the illusion are as real as it gets. What I mean is that if everything is an illusion then everything must be real.

The "fire" is in the oil it is not "nothing".

Old 11-13-2014, 05:35 AM

21,017 posts, read 19,511,292 times
Well, it's kind of our job to see what is really going on 'here'...as opposed to
'there'....'now' as opposed to 'then'...'me' as opposed to 'you'...
' outside as opposed to inside'....

Now that quantum physics can know what the Masters have always known...
that we are 99.99999% empty space...the separation of 'things' becomes less...ha!
And we see the Cosmic Shapeshifter at work...kinda like
a lava lamp! Haha

What is Reality. What is the Unseen?

Fun isn't it?

Welcome here, IanDL.

Old 11-13-2014, 06:46 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,662,044 times
They actually are changing that view. There is no nothing. Space is "something". Remember quantum mach is a probability description based on waving and observations. What does that mean? it means they don't know what it is yet. But it has been 100% correct so far in making predictions.

Old 11-13-2014, 08:52 AM

21,017 posts, read 19,511,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
They actually are changing that view.
There is no nothing. Space is "something"...
Yes.
If you're referring to the '99.9999% empty space' I posted...the scientists aren't saying it
is 'nothing'...hope I didn't imply that.

Old 11-13-2014, 09:36 AM

23,294 posts, read 10,606,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
Its true in a way. But the events that form the illusion are as real as it gets. What I mean is that if everything is an illusion then everything must be real.

The "fire" is in the oil it is not "nothing".

Fire is only the result of something burning.

If there is nothing to burn, there can be no fire.

Old 11-13-2014, 06:25 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,093,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
All the rivers run into the Ocean, all the oceans fall like snow onto the mountains, and the mountains melt the snow and run into the river, and all the rivers run to the ocean but the ocean is never full.

A tree is planted and it's fruits are taken as oil, and then the fruits of plants are taken to make a wick.

These make the fire, and a fire will illuminate a house, but the fire is nothing without a wick, and a wick is nothing without the oil.
Luckily, although a river has water and gravity as a human has their food and breath, the water does not make the river unique, nor is the water the essence of the river.

But truthfully also it's location, course, and other qualities, which end and are void once the river dries up and leaves mostly the canyon oddly carved are what makes a river be truly and fully and wholly a river.

The river which is reborn as other things (or in essence is just the pseudo-immortal water), is the river that is not a river.

Although a salty ocean might swallow up the fresh waters of a river, an ocean is just an ocean, and a river just a river. And although the ocean seems vast and never full, we know that perception is but perception. To the vastly limited, the merely vast may seem eternal.

As I've never looked into the workings of a candle deeply, I looked through this and was up-brought with understanding... How does a candle work? - HowStuffWorks

If we are a as impermanent as a flame, then we know that our bodies are a wick, and our substanance is the oil. Yet a flame is a flame, and not just the energy and gas molecules that compose it. Nor is a flame reborn, except but as a mere clone and different identity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism