Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2015, 01:02 PM

20,007 posts, read 13,486,477 times

Advertisements

I guess even Buddhism has its fundamentalist wing:

Buddhist monks in Myanmar celebrate repressive laws - Al Jazeera English

Does anyone know if this is a case of a fascist government coopting the local religion, or the inverse?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2015, 04:57 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,068,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I guess even Buddhism has its fundamentalist wing:

Buddhist monks in Myanmar celebrate repressive laws - Al Jazeera English

Does anyone know if this is a case of a fascist government coopting the local religion, or the inverse?
Oh Al Jazeera, do they (as Muslim groupies) not know that the Myanmar was under the complete control of the military because the sought to defend themselves from dreadful European Colonialism?

Now they have Muslim Colonialism and they are supposed to let Muslims keep throwing acid in the face of nuns?

The New Laws are Initiations by both the conservatives in government (whose's constitution promises they will protect the Buddhist heritage of Myanmar) and the conservatives in the monk-hood.

The make sure polygamy is illegal (Muslims want polygamy) and that "Forced conversion through marriage" (another Muslim tradition) is illegal also. [marriage might have been forced if the women has consentual sex, so the muslim polygamist men were probably taking advantage of this weakness in such a third world country].

Quote:
Yangon (AsiaNews/Agencies) – Myanmar’s parliament passed controversial legislation on polygamy and conversion championed by hard-line Buddhist nationalists, to use against already marginalised minority groups.

Human rights activists and opposition movements are sounding the alarm, pointing out that the government is jeopardising citizens’ rights and freedoms in order to please the country’s Buddhist extremists.

Whilst there were scant details on the bills, the polygamy law reportedly includes a provision to criminalise extra-marital affairs, while the conversion law will apparently make it harder for people to change religion.
MYANMAR Myanmar passes polygamy and conversion laws that please Buddhist extremists - Asia News

If anything, the laws of Myanmar have now become more like our own laws. I guess secular Christians are "Buddhist extremists" too because they discriminate "religious minorities" with anti-polygamy laws.

Quote:
The law requires Buddhist women and men of other faiths to register their intent to marry with local authorities, who will display a public notice of the engagements. Couples can marry only if there are no objections; but if they violate the law, they could face imprisonment.
http://www.rfa.org/english/news/myan...015152051.html

Quote:
Wirathu and other hardline Buddhists had lobbied for the restrictive laws, which were signed into law in August. The race and religion laws include bills that impose mandatory "birth spacing" for women; monogamy laws that would punish people with more than one spouse; marriage laws that require Buddhist women to register their marriages in advance if marrying a man who is not Buddhist; and a law regulating religious conversions.
http://www.ucanews.com/news/myanmar-...-victory/74304

The truth is in the details, and they sure don't want to give us too much of the details.
There have been constant Muslim Terrorist Attacks and Muslim Faith-Crimes (Honor Killings, Forced conversion of young ladies who didn't know any better, etc) in the past 20 years in Myanmar. The conservatives and their friends on the liberal side are tired of it.

The Catholics and other Christians think these conservative laws negatively affect them, so they are crying out in their Western outlets as well.

I personally think Buddhism doesn't need any Government Protecting, it is clear being Buddhist makes you the best least biased leader... The military conservatives did think it was necessary because of their fear of the Christian War Machine. Now their new hate has transferred to the Muslim Jihad Machine.

Quote:
"We have much concern that religion is used for political purposes and things could become unstable ahead of Nov. 8 polls," Father Nyunt Wai told ucanews.com.
LOL, It's such a deluded pretension to think that such a line is not itself using religion for political purposes. Sorry but Myanmar's constitution doesn't say "we need to placate to Christian and Muslim settlers and their converts." What does need to be done is to educate these deluded Abrahamists instead of ignoring them and thinking they won't thrive underground like an illegal drug of frothing blood-focused intent.

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 09-23-2015 at 05:25 PM..

Old 09-24-2015, 05:19 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,731,784 times
Ma Ba Tha, spokesman Wirathu, is almost certainly the tool of the Military regime who, having dressed up in civilian clothes, are now dressing up as Buddhist monks. The Burmese people should be aware that this is simply another Control ploy by the one party government which traces its nasty ancestry all the way back to Ne Win (google him) and who are not so much interested in combating the Islamic Threat as using it as a tactic to combat the NLD opposition which has great popular support (Wirathu has said that the NLD is the 'Party of Islamicization').

Fear of the Muslim Threat is a convenient tool they can use to push through legislation without anybody protesting, since the old method of dealing with protest - gunning it down in the streets - is not such an easy option as it was.

The Myanmar people know what they have to do - reject the rantings of Wirathu and his Fascists in dayglo robes and continue with their peaceful push for reform, progress and democracy in Myanmar - for everyone.

Old 09-24-2015, 07:18 AM

2,826 posts, read 2,368,659 times
Arequipa, that's fine and all, but you aren't in a country where your faith is violated by Islam. Where your women ate violated by Islam. Myanmar actually needs to push both of these people out of their country. But the people feel powerless, so they turn to a group that is just as bad.

It's like if you have an ex-bf that wants to beat you to death. Nobody's tough enough to stand against him, except for Weird Jimmy who knows judo. But Jimmy wants to sleep with you and is known for some gross stuff. You can go at let a crazed ex beat you to death, or you can decide that this guy is lesser of the evils (and maybe he's not). The ex seems like such a real threat that you're willingly giving up your freedom and control over your body to defend yourself.

When Muslims decide that Myanmar is not a welcome country, maybe they can talk about reforms. And talk they should. But you have a culture of people that is largely nonviolent, so asking people to drive out the people who are threatening them is a losing proposition. Either accept the despotism or accept the foreign invaders.

Old 09-24-2015, 07:28 AM

I know. You don't need to tell me what's wrong with Islam, any more than you need to tell me what's wrong with Fundamentalist Creationist Christianity. And i do live in a country where the women are violated by Muslim gangs. There was a high profile court case not long ago.

But, I don't use that as a stick to beat all of Islam with. There are some problems that Myanmar may have with muslims. They have similar ones with Christians, like the Karens and Chins, who have states within the union but ..well, it's like Yugoslavia. The Central Government is like Serbia trying to stop other states leaving and is willing to use the army to do it. But using those problems to bolster their own political grip is something they should be aware of. Just as we in the UK should be aware of extremist political parties playing the Immigration -panic card to try to get power.

Old 09-24-2015, 03:03 PM

2,826 posts, read 2,368,659 times
Got it. I was just making the point that they were backed against the wall.

It does sound like a very ****ty government, and I hope they can find the willpower to oust both of these groups.

Old 09-24-2015, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
Got it. I was just making the point that they were backed against the wall.

It does sound like a very ****ty government, and I hope they can find the willpower to oust both of these groups.
It is much better than anything they had running the country since independence and U Nu's Buddhist -style government. Mainly because International pressure got them to take off the uniforms and stop shooting protesters. And come to an accommodation with Aung San Suu Kyi and the NLD. But they are still trying to carry on in the same way undercover and I am convinced that this ranting disgrace to the Sangha is part of that.

I don't think they are backed against a wall - so far as Muslims are concerned. Buddhism dominates - hugely.

Old 09-25-2015, 09:59 PM

3,440 posts, read 2,646,691 times
There is usually too much conflations such a discussion that ended in pulling the issue into a tighten tangled knot.
We need to loosen the issue into its respective elements to get a clearer view, i.e.
1. Politics - government
2. Religion - main purpose = eschatological
3. Myanmarists as Buddhists as humans
4. Myanmarists as Buddhists as Buddhist-proper
5. Religion with contributing evil laden elements in their holy texts
6. Religion with no contributing evil laden elements.
Point is, whenever we deal with any religious related evils and violence we need to take into account the above elements separately and review their respective combinations instead of conflating all the elements into the issue.

On the issue of 'Buddhist monks celebrating repressive laws' that has nothing to do with the religion of Buddhism because the relevant variables are;

1. Politics - government
3. Myanmarists as Buddhists as humans
6. Religion with no contributing evil laden elements.

The fact is the majority in Myanmar happened to be Buddhists for various reasons. Thus is it only natural the political arena of that country will comprised Buddhists. If there are any political or social violence, we have to review whether the religion itself inspire their believers to commit evils and violence.
In the case of Buddhism per se, there are no effective/malignant evil laden verses within Buddhism and its Sutras that will inspire any Buddhist to commit evil nor violence.

Thus the truth of the OP should be restated as;

Some Buddhist-monks-as-humans in Buddhist-majority-Myanmar driven by political fervor [not inspired Buddhism per-se] celebrate repressive laws against minority.
The above is messy but necessary to get to the truth rather than conflating all the elements.

In contrast there is the following;
Some believers-as-humans in ReligionX-majority-country driven by political fervor [and inspired verses within ReligionX] celebrate repressive laws against minority.

Old 09-26-2015, 02:19 AM

Most informative.

Old 10-15-2015, 04:33 AM

3,671 posts, read 3,558,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Oh Al Jazeera, do they (as Muslim groupies) not know that the Myanmar was under the complete control of the military because the sought to defend themselves from dreadful European Colonialism?

Now they have Muslim Colonialism and they are supposed to let Muslims keep throwing acid in the face of nuns?

The New Laws are Initiations by both the conservatives in government (whose's constitution promises they will protect the Buddhist heritage of Myanmar) and the conservatives in the monk-hood.

The make sure polygamy is illegal (Muslims want polygamy) and that "Forced conversion through marriage" (another Muslim tradition) is illegal also. [marriage might have been forced if the women has consentual sex, so the muslim polygamist men were probably taking advantage of this weakness in such a third world country].

MYANMAR Myanmar passes polygamy and conversion laws that please Buddhist extremists - Asia News

If anything, the laws of Myanmar have now become more like our own laws. I guess secular Christians are "Buddhist extremists" too because they discriminate "religious minorities" with anti-polygamy laws.

Myanmar

Myanmar Buddhists celebrate religion laws as a 'victory' ucanews.com

The truth is in the details, and they sure don't want to give us too much of the details.
There have been constant Muslim Terrorist Attacks and Muslim Faith-Crimes (Honor Killings, Forced conversion of young ladies who didn't know any better, etc) in the past 20 years in Myanmar. The conservatives and their friends on the liberal side are tired of it.

The Catholics and other Christians think these conservative laws negatively affect them, so they are crying out in their Western outlets as well.

I personally think Buddhism doesn't need any Government Protecting, it is clear being Buddhist makes you the best least biased leader... The military conservatives did think it was necessary because of their fear of the Christian War Machine. Now their new hate has transferred to the Muslim Jihad Machine.

LOL, It's such a deluded pretension to think that such a line is not itself using religion for political purposes. Sorry but Myanmar's constitution doesn't say "we need to placate to Christian and Muslim settlers and their converts." What does need to be done is to educate these deluded Abrahamists instead of ignoring them and thinking they won't thrive underground like an illegal drug of frothing blood-focused intent.

I could not have said it better myself, so I'll just quote this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism