Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 03:47 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,816,764 times

Advertisements

Well probably because we weren't born into Buddist families..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2007, 03:52 PM

1,648 posts, read 2,560,640 times
Thanks for all your posts, Jerz, but it is a diss. I do however believe that homosexuals and others who can't reconcile with scripture should convert to buddhism, they can escape condemnation from others cause they are no longer consider a sin under new management.

And about taking care of myself first, I have already chosen to be agnostic. My advice is to those who must have religion in their lives, choose one that doesn't condemn you. It may seem ridiculous to 'shop' for a religion, but its even more ridiculous to believe in something that wants you gone.

Last edited by person; 05-24-2007 at 04:01 PM..

Old 05-24-2007, 05:24 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,279,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by person View Post
Religion is the means to an end, to gain salvation, so it makes sense to 'shop' for one. If one wants peacefulness, why not look at the history of a religion's 'peacefulness'.
That may be the case with you, but it isn't the case for a great many religious folks -- including most Buddhists I know and have read. People who accept a religion because "they like it" or because it "makes them feel good" have a very shallow faith in my opinion. You should accept a faith because you believe it to be true, not because it appeals to you.

Personally, I'd love it if I could use the Force and wield a lightsaber. The religion of the Jedi sure looks cool. But I can't be a Jedi, because that religion is not true (not to mention entirely fictional).

Religion shouldn't be (only) about finding peace. It should be about finding Truth and living according to that. The end result of that will most likely be peace, true, but if that is one's only goal, it will likely always remain elusive.

Old 05-24-2007, 05:27 PM

Quote:
My advice is to those who must have religion in their lives, choose one that doesn't condemn you.
With respect, I must say that's pretty poor advice. If someone (be it a religion, a person, a law, or a talking cricket) condemns you, your first question should be: Is the condemnation just? If so, then the problem is with you, not the someone. If the condemnation is unjust, then don't worry about it.

Quote:
It may seem ridiculous to 'shop' for a religion, but its even more ridiculous to believe in something that wants you gone.
I don't know of any religion that wants its adherents "gone." But nearly all religions (Buddhism certainly included!) want to lead their adherents to faith and truth.

Old 05-24-2007, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
With respect, I must say that's pretty poor advice. If someone (be it a religion, a person, a law, or a talking cricket) condemns you, your first question should be: Is the condemnation just? If so, then the problem is with you, not the someone. If the condemnation is unjust, then don't worry about it.

I don't know of any religion that wants its adherents "gone." But nearly all religions (Buddhism certainly included!) want to lead their adherents to faith and truth.
Of course it should be unjust condemnation, that should have be obvious.

Old 05-24-2007, 05:36 PM

Quote:
That may be the case with you, but it isn't the case for a great many religious folks -- including most Buddhists I know and have read. People who accept a religion because "they like it" or because it "makes them feel good" have a very shallow faith in my opinion. You should accept a faith because you believe it to be true, not because it appeals to you.

Personally, I'd love it if I could use the Force and wield a lightsaber. The religion of the Jedi sure looks cool. But I can't be a Jedi, because that religion is not true (not to mention entirely fictional).

Religion shouldn't be (only) about finding peace. It should be about finding Truth and living according to that. The end result of that will most likely be peace, true, but if that is one's only goal, it will likely always remain elusive.
The Jedi religion is true, some devil just want you to think its fictional.

That aside,
The history of a religion's past should be taken into consideration when trying to find the Truth and living according to that. Things like how did it work out for others in the past. What was done in its name?

And I don't know why you would think that finding peace should be the ONLY way to accept a religion.

Old 05-24-2007, 05:38 PM

Quote:
The Jedi religion is true, some devil just want you to think its fictional.
I find your lack of faith disturbing....

Old 05-24-2007, 05:45 PM

Quote:
I find your lack of faith disturbing....
Then you would find everyone disturbing, cause everyone has a lack of faith in other religions aside from the one they chose.

Old 05-24-2007, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Then you would find everyone disturbing, cause everyone has a lack of faith in other religions aside from the one they chose.
Dude, it was a STAR WARS quote (since we were talking about Jedi). A joke. Relax.

Remember in the Death Star when one of the officers was giving Vader a hard time for believing in the Force? Vader starts choking the dude with the Force. "I find your lack of faith disturbing...."

That was the line. A joke. Chill, mon.

Old 05-24-2007, 10:17 PM

1,028 posts, read 2,338,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
I think the problem is that a person can't just suddenly "believe" in Buddhism, for one, any more than someone can suddenly just "believe" Christianity (that would be me).

It's no different for Buddhism so you'd need to cut non-Buddhists some slack on this one.

Also, I don't think Buddhism is a religion per se but more of a practice. Or a way of living/system of practices to deal with human life. Isn't that right? (Feel free to correct me.) In other words, there isn't a named Buddhist "big god" (creator God), right? Siddhartha Buddha and Guatama Buddha and the other Buddhas were considered to be inspired but not gods in their own right the way Jesus is considered to be a literal part of God. I'm pretty sure you can be Buddhist but have your own concept of God. So it might be a little not-quite-committed for some people to handle.

As for your argument that there is less violence with Buddhism, again, you can't really just go grocery shopping for a religion and say, "This one has more love! This one has less violence! This one has fewer calories and is less filling! Okay. I believe." (Trust me, as a constant "searcher" this is one thing I know for sure.)goo
I think there is an issue of lack of structure that is appealing to the Buddhists but puzzling for those not used to it. It takes a lot of initiative to understand it. Above everything else it seems to be the least exclusive of all religions, the least threatened by the existence of "competitors." But the individualized independence and deference the religion gives its practitioners contributes to a lack of structure. Just like some folks can thrive in a healthy, wholesome manner with little or no government, others can't, and require varying degrees of power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Buddhism