Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 01:45 PM

1,228 posts, read 3,718,741 times

Advertisements

I do notice that Black people are very spread out all over Columbus, which seems rare. I don't really care about interracial couples, and the mayor is White there... It certainly won't be DC.

I think that Columbus is what Buffalo could have been if we had a better tax structure and weren't so worried about tearing down any building with any history involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 02:47 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,544,841 times
Columbus is also very much a socially liberal city. By religious right standards its a modern day Sodom. About the only places in Ohio I would even consider living are the C-Bus & Cleveland areas. A lot of the rural areas of the state are just too conservative for my tastes & Cincinnati is really nothing better than the other 2 cities except they falsely believe they are southern.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:46 PM
JH6

1,435 posts, read 3,217,522 times
I spent a week in Cleveland this past month for a conference. The city reminds me a LOT of Buffalo. I would not move there. My girlfriend and I both commented that it was a little better than buffalo, but in a lot of ways it was the exact same. Same weather, same rusty cars, same slummy buildings.

I have family in Columbus and it is a MUCH nicer city. Every year when I drive out there, there are new office buildings, new companies coming, new growth. They have some fantastic shopping centers, and I'm just overall impressed with the city.

Old 08-18-2010, 06:50 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound47 View Post
I do notice that Black people are very spread out all over Columbus, which seems rare. I don't really care about interracial couples, and the mayor is White there... It certainly won't be DC.

I think that Columbus is what Buffalo could have been if we had a better tax structure and weren't so worried about tearing down any building with any history involved.
No he isn't. Mike Coleman is Black. He's just "light skinned". Office of the Mayor, Columbus, Ohio This picture is better: Columbus Mayor Michael B. Coleman - Office of the Mayor, Columbus, Ohio Most of the city council is Black, the superintendent of schools is Black, 3 of the 7 Board of Ed. members are Black(w/1 Hispanic woman) and even in the corporate environment, there are quite a few Black folks in leadership positions there as well. This is for a city that is about 25% Black and 16th biggest city in the US.

Black folks do live throughout the area and I think the mobility of that community in the area due to educational attainment has something to do with that. That's actually not as rare in other parts of the country or even in some major areas in the NE like Rochester, Hartford, NYC, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia and in many areas in NJ.

Also, I find your comment about IR couples a bit different from one on a Hamburg topic, but it's whatever.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:44 AM

1,228 posts, read 3,718,741 times
Hmm, I always saw his pictures and assumed he was White. He is really light skinned, and doesn't have Black features. I personally wouldn't want to live in a Black area, but if Blacks are mixed throughout the community, and they are hard working, I've got no problem with it. In all honesty, when I see suburban Blacks I find this a good thing, because they are hard working, good people. Some from the city a too, but with 1/2 of all Black males in Buffalo not working, there is a serious problem with work ethic.

As for interracial marriage. I am strongly against it, but if you're happy with that decision, I couldn't care less.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:49 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,544,841 times
Quote:
Hmm, I always saw his pictures and assumed he was White. He is really light skinned, and doesn't have Black features. I personally wouldn't want to live in a Black area, but if Blacks are mixed throughout the community, and they are hard working, I've got no problem with it. In all honesty, when I see suburban Blacks I find this a good thing, because they are hard working, good people. Some from the city a too, but with 1/2 of all Black males in Buffalo not working, there is a serious problem with work ethic.

As for interracial marriage. I am strongly against it, but if you're happy with that decision, I couldn't care less.
I'm just curious why you are strongly against interracial marriage? To say its not something you would considering doing is one thing but to state you strongly oppose it is another. Are you also against Hispanic-White, Hispanic-Black, Asian-White, etc or only Black-White? Im trying to understand why some are so against interracial couples? IMO race is a term used by those that have an agenda to build a hatred and a fear of those that are different. At the end of the day we are all human beings & it is very likely that we all evolved from the same species.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:38 PM

Quote:

That's why I posted the second picture because it becomes more appearant. This would probably more convincing: Photos from Who's Who In Black Columbus | Facebook

Old 08-18-2010, 01:02 PM

719 posts, read 1,553,434 times
How did the original topic "Just a quick question about Cleveland from a Buffalonian perspective " turn into "just how black does the mayor of Columbus look"?
What difference does it make if he is light or dark skinnned? Does that drive policy decisions or impact the job he is doing as mayor? Sometimes I wish we were all exact Xerox copies of 1 human template and the only thing that differentiated us was personality, work ethic, honesty, etc. etc.

Old 08-18-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD_JT_14221 View Post
How did the original topic "Just a quick question about Cleveland from a Buffalonian perspective " turn into "just how black does the mayor of Columbus look"?
What difference does it make if he is light or dark skinnned? Does that drive policy decisions or impact the job he is doing as mayor? Sometimes I wish we were all exact Xerox copies of 1 human template and the only thing that differentiated us was personality, work ethic, honesty, etc. etc.
You are right. I think the Eastern suburbs of Cleveland would be the best bet due to the proximity to Buffalo. There seems to be plenty to choose from too.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:21 PM

77 posts, read 280,461 times
I lived in Cleveland for 8 years It's very similar to Buffalo, although bigger and has more "big city" stuff. There is a clear divide between "east Side" and "West Side"...downtown is the split and the two sides of the city are very different. Almost no one lives within Cleveland-proper. We were East Siders and lived in Shaker Heights. I found the West side a bit more generic aesthetically and the drive to Buffalo could be 40 -60 minutes longer. From Shaker the drive was 3 hours. I wold describe the East Side more like living in Snyder or around Delaware Park/Elmwood village area in the suburbs like Cleveland Heights and Shaker Heights, and more like Lewiston/Orchard Park in the suburbs of Pepper Pike, Gates Mills, Hunting Valley and Chagrin Falls. The West side would be more like the areas of East Amherst, clarence or hamburg.

I am very biased in favor of the East Side suburbs as far as where I like to live, however I spent lots of time on the West side and there's alot to offer there and it was very nice as well. It all depends on you.

I am there about once a month visiting my sister and friends and love the city. The shopping in Cleveland is awesome and they have Trader Joe's! Health care is so much better than you will ever get in Buffalo...Cleveland Clinic and University Hospitals are world class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area