Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 05:51 PM

122 posts, read 352,389 times

Advertisements

Well, due to the fact it seems like my husband cannot find a job in Buffalo, Rochester or Syracuse (very sad about this) we are considering Cleveland Oh. (and was pleasantly suprised to find a few jobs that fit)
Was wondering if anyone could help me with these questions, how far of a drive is Cleveland to Buffalo? How would you compare Cleveland to Buffalo? What would be an equivalent suburb to Amherst? or Hamburg? (the key is safety) Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2010, 06:32 PM

726 posts, read 2,148,235 times
Cleveland is similar to Buffalo but I always found there seemed more to do in Cleveland. About a 3 hour drive. It's a very easy drive you don't usually see any traffic until you are practically right in Cleveland. I don't recommend the drive in the winter though. If there's even a hint of bad weather you'll run into it somewhere along I90. I used to commute back and forth between the 2. I have heard Cleveland has been sliding downhill after what seemed like an upswing but you do get the affordable housing with lower taxes. I always liked spending time in Cleveland. Unfortunately I can't remember the names of the suburbs I've spent time in but yes there seemed to be plenty like Amherst.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:21 PM

1,228 posts, read 3,719,529 times
One thing that I hate about Cleveland is that when you are approaching the city from the east (down 90) it looks like a slum... Even those suburbs. I really haven't spent enough time in that area to make a fair judgment, but I know parts of Ohio very well, and have enjoyed every city there with the exception of Dayton and Toledo. I would relocate to Ohio in a second, but can't find a job there right now... It's got a more moderate climate, middle of the road politics, and good tax structure that is fair to the middle class. I've been sold on Ohio for years, just a matter of getting a good job.

Old 08-16-2010, 07:58 AM

93,385 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBound47 View Post
One thing that I hate about Cleveland is that when you are approaching the city from the east (down 90) it looks like a slum... Even those suburbs. I really haven't spent enough time in that area to make a fair judgment, but I know parts of Ohio very well, and have enjoyed every city there with the exception of Dayton and Toledo. I would relocate to Ohio in a second, but can't find a job there right now... It's got a more moderate climate, middle of the road politics, and good tax structure that is fair to the middle class. I've been sold on Ohio for years, just a matter of getting a good job.
Look at Columbus......I think the East Side of Cleveland is more blue collar and rougher. This goes into East Cleveland and somewhat with Euclid. There are some nice suburbs to the East like most of Shaker Heights, Twinsburg, Wickliffe, Mentor and Willoughby, amongst others.

It seems like the West Side and the Western suburbs are nicer, at least in terms of reputation.

Old 08-16-2010, 09:42 AM

Quote:
do you mind me asking how long you have been actively looking for a job there? Thanks!

Old 08-16-2010, 03:33 PM

112 posts, read 282,664 times
Take a look at Columbus or even Cinny/Lexington KY area

Old 08-16-2010, 04:41 PM

280 posts, read 675,112 times
When I worked there for about a year, I lived in Beachwood and it seemed pretty Amherst-like. Euclid is also nice, but maybe a little older. Both are on the east side and convenient for trips back into NY.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:44 AM

1,228 posts, read 3,719,529 times
I've been interviewing in both Cincy and in Columbus. Looking very actively for about 3 months. I think I've got an offer coming out of Columbus very soon though.

The trouble for me is have the time to actually interview. I work Monday through Satuday with a half day off during the week... So I leave after work one night, interview the next morning and drive back in time for work. I actually get a decent number of calls, but can't go down if they require many interviews.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:22 AM

Southbound47 --Thanks for responding. 3 months is very good for a job search that sounds like it is going well. Sounds like OH has a healthy economy. It has been almost 2 years for our job search for the WNY region from DC. We only now just started to consider Cleveland. Best of Luck to you!

Old 08-17-2010, 08:31 AM

93,385 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
I've been interviewing in both Cincy and in Columbus. Looking very actively for about 3 months. I think I've got an offer coming out of Columbus very soon though.

The trouble for me is have the time to actually interview. I work Monday through Satuday with a half day off during the week... So I leave after work one night, interview the next morning and drive back in time for work. I actually get a decent number of calls, but can't go down if they require many interviews.
Keep in mind with Columbus that it is a bit on the "liberal" side and you will notice quite a few Black folks in leadership positions there, as well as interracial relationships/couples. Not saying those things necessarily bother you, but you might notice those things if you move there. A lot of that has to do with being the state capital and Ohio State is the biggest college/university in the country. So, it is a city with a highly educated workforce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area