Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 07:46 AM

53 posts, read 181,398 times

Advertisements

America’s Ten Dead Cities: From Detroit To New Orleans - 24/7 Wall St.

These are NOT the list you like to see your city coming in first on
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2010, 07:58 AM

93,239 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingirls2boys View Post
America’s Ten Dead Cities: From Detroit To New Orleans - 24/7 Wall St.

These are NOT the list you like to see your city coming in first on
Keep in mind that this is for the city proper, not the metro as a whole. While these cities have seen better days, the metros themselves are actually not as bad as people think they are. Albany is a city on that list that is a great example. Hartford is another.

Old 08-25-2010, 04:03 PM

205 posts, read 479,265 times
What exactly is 24/7wallst.com? Seems like a forbes wannabe.

Old 08-25-2010, 08:25 PM

112 posts, read 282,506 times
It's going to get even more dead when

HSBC pulling out & now PNC Bank is talking about buying M & T Bank and moving
jobs to philly

PNC could buy Capital One, M&T, SunTrust: report | PhillyDeals | 08/09/2010

Old 08-26-2010, 07:17 AM

2,601 posts, read 8,519,988 times
I read the article-its at best just a guess. Galveston TX in the top 10? No way - sure its had hurricanes but it will always come back - the Texas Coast will always attract tourists, snowbirds and Texans looking for the ocean ( although Rockport is much nicer). Just having it in the top 10 takes credibility away from the article.

I also think Detroit is worse off than Buffalo.

Old 08-26-2010, 01:11 PM

93,239 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocean2026 View Post
I read the article-its at best just a guess. Galveston TX in the top 10? No way - sure its had hurricanes but it will always come back - the Texas Coast will always attract tourists, snowbirds and Texans looking for the ocean ( although Rockport is much nicer). Just having it in the top 10 takes credibility away from the article.

I also think Detroit is worse off than Buffalo.
I agree. Youngstown OH and Flint MI are as well. I was surprised to see Albany in there as well.

Old 08-31-2010, 04:27 AM

1,884 posts, read 3,446,336 times
Yeah, this list is kinda hokey however I'm surprised the city proper up in Albany has declined as much as it has:

Quote:
Albany is still the capital of New York State. It was once one of the largest “inland ports” in the world sitting near the place where the Hudson River meets the Erie Canal. This helped it become a major center for finished lumber and iron works. Perhaps because of the influence of the politicians who worked in the city, several universities and colleges were built there. The city’s manufacturing industry helped the population to rise to 134,000 in 1950. it is now under 95,000. The higher education institutions in the region have begun to help Albany become a regional center for information technology and the biotechnology industries, but these are not large enough to offset declines in the city’s fortunes which began in the 1960s.
I understand that when the state expanded its footprint, there, in the 60's and 70's a lot of people were displaced, so that might explain some of the pop. drop within the city. I know Schenectady, Amsterdam, and Troy are dumps, so that metro is not immune to decline of different forms, despite the overwhelming numbers of state jobs, there.

Upstate's cities need to adopt a more regional approach to problems, and economic development, and those in charge in Buffalo should start "thinking smaller", in fact smaller metros which have done OK in the last 30 years are smaller ones.

Far as NO, Galveston, and other port towns mentioned, they'll do fine after the Panama Canal is expanded. Lower-cost eastern ports, and inland ports in the South, will expand.

The Allentown one threw me for a loop, too, as that town has done OK in the last 10 years or so, in fact NE Penna. has experienced a resurgence in a few areas.

Old 08-31-2010, 04:37 AM

1,884 posts, read 3,446,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I agree. Youngstown OH and Flint MI are as well. I was surprised to see Albany in there as well.
Detroit's a ghost town. I was up there on business during Feb., and it was shocking to witness how dead it is these days. Had to visit Toledo, too, and that's another city which has seen better days. The entire region, across to Anderson, IN, down to Dayton, etc., has been crippled by losses in auto mfg. Around Ft. Wayne things are stable, and over to Warsaw, IN, where there's a cluster of successful medical manufacturers.

Buffalo's got a lot more going for it, all things considered. It's just like other Upstate cities in that the labor laws, unions, and taxes have conspired to prevent even modest, long-term economic growth.

Old 08-31-2010, 10:09 AM

744 posts, read 1,767,571 times
With the exception of government fed Columbus, ALL of Ohio is dying. The State's unemplyment rate is closing in on 12% or about 50% higher than our 7.8%. With their statewide economy so heavily dependent upon an auto industry that has shed tens upon tens of thousands of jobs that are never coming back, Ohio's future is bleak indeed.

Old 08-31-2010, 04:25 PM

112 posts, read 282,506 times
But the day's of Town, City, County, State
workers of making $70,000 a year pushing a broom or even doing
less keeps growing and growing as the population keeps shrinking
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area