Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2013, 08:06 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,197,833 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
spelling aside, the above post is truth...if the term "30k millionaire" was coined in Houston (or was it Phoenix? They probably both claim it), Buffalo might as well claim 20k millionaire
LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2013, 08:19 PM

3 posts, read 6,096 times
Homes are cheap in Kaisertown & Buffalo is 10 minutes away. I know you don't want to buy, but I'd consider maybe buying & doing some minimal renovations. I purchased my home 3.5K less than it was assessed for. My plan is to update esthetics, sell in a year or 2 and move to Denver where there are way more jobs in my field.
If you are definitely against buying, there are all kinds of beautiful apartments, homes, & lofts for rent; all within close proximity to downtown Buffalo.
Are you considering children? If you are we have a great program called Say Yes to Education Buffalo; they provide free tuition to Buffalo Public School kids & there parents if your combined income is under 75k.
I don't make half of your income & I'm able to own my own 4BR house. It's a nice, solid home in a decent area. Taxes are cheap too. Good Luck!

Old 09-17-2013, 06:32 PM

811 posts, read 1,738,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swat Kat View Post
My husband has been offered a job recently in Buffalo with a salary of 70k and full health insurance benefits for both of us (We both are on good side of 30).
Is this salary enough to live a decent life in a decent neighborhood

Our idea of decent life:
1. Planning to rent for around 1000-1500/pm (is it enough?), planning to live close to work (Erie Basin Marina), so that total commute time is of ~ 45 min one way.
2. We do not party every weekend. We do go out occasionally for dinner like birthday, anniversaries and special occasions, etc.
3. I am a stay at home wife, so I will be cooking all meals, cleaning the house, dishes and laundry (and studying).
4. No kids and debt free.
5. We do have a car and it is paid off.
6. We are not looking to buy a house in Buffalo (so I am guessing the debate about property taxes is out of question).

We have a option of two jobs, one is in Buffalo (70k), and other in NYC (80k) so we are debating.

Any help will be appreciated!
80K in NYC is just above entry level for most industries. I'd fight for more if you were really considering that job. If I made 70K in Buffalo, I'd be looking at jobs at the 90K+ level in NYC, and that is not including a bonus which should be anywhere from 10-50% at that level depending on the industry.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:12 PM

1,155 posts, read 2,142,448 times
80k in NYC is nothing. We struggle with a tiny 2 bedroom in an area far into Queens. We make about that much. Unless you make over 100k combined with no debt, then it's worth it.

If you aren't constantly wanting night life and tons to do, NYC isn't that great of a fit. Buffalo is a better fit. Your 70k would go very far. If you are looking at 1000 to 1500 a month, you can live pretty much anywhere in the city and burbs. There were some amazing places in Elmwood and Allentown if you like the cityish life. If not, then Tonawanda, Amherst, Williamsville/Clarence, or Kenmore would probably fit. Depends on if you like suburbs or more city type life. Either way, travel is very simple in Buffalo. 30 mins and you are to the burbs or the country.

Buffalo still has plenty of things to do. Bars, clubs, restaurants, musicals, free concerts, parks, festivals and endless nature activities just outside of Buffalo. Canada is right there. Niagara Falls is right there. Toronto is a short day trip away if you want a bustling city to tour. Rochester is also a day trip away. Buffalo has FAR more then you can do in a weekend. In the summer it's amazing. In the winter, yeah it can be rough. But they have winter activities too.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:00 AM

417 posts, read 867,517 times
You can live almost anywhere in Buffalo or its suburbs for that, hell you could make $45,000 and live in a 4bd 1800 sq ft colonial in a subdivision in Grand Island for that, I did.

Old 01-06-2014, 03:29 PM

17 posts, read 30,538 times
A stay at home wife with no kids? That's...unique.

Old 01-06-2014, 03:53 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,197,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlearn2 View Post
Perhaps the wife is an immigrant who doesn't have a work VISA. Perhaps there's a disability.

Old 01-10-2014, 04:35 AM

132 posts, read 159,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlearn2 View Post
my wife has to deal with the same kind of idiotic comments, like "what do you do all day?". Are you really such a sad miserable person that you couldn't fill your day without crying babies to take care of?

there are more stay at home people with no kids out there than you think.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:37 AM

417 posts, read 867,517 times
Stay at home wife with no kids simply could mean the husband makes enough money for the both of them and she dosent have to work, it happens and its pretty nice.

Old 01-10-2014, 03:07 PM

17 posts, read 30,538 times
First, I never intended to insult anyone. I simply thought it was a unique situation. It's not one I am too familiar with.

Secondly, again I don't mean to offend anyone, but what does someone who stays at home (with no job/kids) do all day? I am unemployed right now, in the process of trying to find a job and I am going crazy being home with nothing to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area