Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2013, 07:25 PM

1 posts, read 1,158 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I will be relocating to the Buffalo within the next few months and would like some advice on areas to avoid as well as areas of interest. We are a same sex couple both 30 yrs old. I am currently a bartender and she manages a restaurant. We would like to rent a house but are open to an apartment as long as it is not part of a large complex. I have lived in a very small southern town my entire life and she has lived in various larger northern areas. Neither of us are familiar with this area and would appreciate any suggestions or tips.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 08:05 PM

1,696 posts, read 4,349,604 times
Welcome to Buffalo!! Lots of bars and restaurants for you and your fiance to work at! Why don't you describe your ideal place and then we can offer some suggestions. Do you want to be in the city of Buffalo or in the suburbs? What is most important to you? I'm sure with a little more information we can help you find your "perfect place" in the Buffalo area.

Old 03-08-2013, 08:19 PM

48 posts, read 98,582 times
Buffalo has a lot to offer... My husband and I used to play in a band around town... Great nightlife in the Allentown and Elmwood Village area (if you are looking to move into the city)..... As far as suburbs, I personally recommend any in the Northtowns as the commute to work (if you are going to work downtown that is) is short, and the Northtowns (such as Kenmore, Tonawanda, Amherst) get less snow than the south towns.

If you are both looking to get positions with restaurants or bars in the area, we have TONS of them! Buffalonians love to eat & we love to drink! In the city there are a lot of amazing restaurants you could both find jobs at! The Elmwood Strip has a lot, so does Franklin Street, and Delaware Avenue!

Best of luck to you both!

Old 03-09-2013, 05:34 AM

879 posts, read 1,631,737 times
There are plenty of places to rent in Buffalo. The most common scenario is the flat of a double story house. There are a few complexes. The rent of a flat is 700 and up. Expect your monthly heating budget to be roughly 100 (for a cooler house) to 200 for a warmer house. Electric is about 70 without A/C (which you won't really need in Buffalo, especially coming from TN). There are tons of restaurants. Don't expect the pay to be very high though, because of the competition, pay is partially depressed. Buffalo is often said to have a small town feel and you will likely run into people you know with some frequency. Welcome!

Old 03-09-2013, 10:41 AM

69 posts, read 194,122 times
Welcome to Buffalo! Buffalo has a great and growing bar and restaurant scene, so there are definitely opportunities here. Typical housing units are either half of a two-story house, as mentioned above, or a single-family home. Rents are quite low - if you're lucky, you can get an apartment for $500/month, but it depends on the area so maybe up to $1000 depending. I am from the south central US and compared to that, Buffalo is generally a pretty open and accepting place for same-sex couples, though not to the level that NYC is, of course. Nonetheless, some parts of any metro area are always more diverse and accepting than others. In Buffalo, I would recommend the Allentown and Elmwood Village areas of the city of Buffalo. Allentown is more of a night-life district, but it has most of the gay bars in the city, whereas Elmwood Village is more of a full-service urban neighborhood full of young professionals and young families. Both are surrounded by lovely old houses for rent or sale. As far as the suburbs go, I would say that the village of East Aurora is one of the more progressive nearby towns, but someone else will need to advise more on this.

Old 03-17-2013, 07:31 AM

1,726 posts, read 5,862,227 times
East Aurora is a bit of a hike to Buffalo, however, and it's to the south so it gets a lot of snow in the winter. Some people like the snow, others want to avoid the heavier snowfalls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area