Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you feel the Govt takes too much control over the state of NY
YES 61 71.76%
NO 24 28.24%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 05:46 PM

7,510 posts, read 4,351,558 times

Advertisements

rubygreta:
Quote:
"Cuomo's stupid Safe Act."
Yes! We agree on something although that act was passed a few years after I moved. Had I stayed I'd be a criminal today, because of a pistol magazine that holds over 10 rounds that came with a handgun that I legally registered 30 years ago and had a license to carry. Gun registration does in fact lead to confiscation or criminalization of otherwise law abiding people. The "Safe Act" is proof of this. I wonder how many people who have obtained their weapons illegally will abide by this act.

Quote:
"You cannot refute my thesis. If Buffalo were sunny and 70 in the winter, very few seniors/retirees would move to Arizona."
You don't know that, it's not just Arizona that they are moving to. You are correct though it is just your thesis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2014, 06:02 PM

jackie2000:
Quote:
"The housing market in Arizona is exploding again, As soon as you put your house on
the market, there is a biding war going on . houses are selling in 1 or 2 days and they are getting
$30,000, $40,000 and over $50,000 over the asking price with multiply bids.
It all comes down to simple supply and demand, Just Like Dallas & Austin etc., Arizona
has population explosion going on again vs WNY that lost nearly 1/2 it's population"
Better hurry up Jackie, come on out and visit. Arizona is indeed a great place to live, the biggest problem we have is water so development could be curtailed in the future. It will be supply and demand. The value of my home has gone up since the time I moved here, but it doesn't matter to me I'm not going anywhere even if my home value doubled or tripled. I love it where I am, great neighbors, great friends, great weather and the most spectacular scenery on the face of the earth. But most of all freedom from oppression.

Old 05-09-2014, 06:10 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,316,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyman8989 View Post
After 50 years of being born and raised in Western NY an hour South of Buffalo its time to say good riddance. This "High tax paying citizen is sick of the control our Govt puts on us" Shortly After sending out to Catt County NY our yearly property/school taxes of $4,000.00 on a home thats "only" valued at $95,000 we left to visit Conway South Carolina. While we were there we stopped at a local store to grab a pack of cigarettes "COST $4.85 a pack, vs $10.50 a pk back in NYS. My husband thought WTF... And as we are driving down the highway in SC we noticed people using their Cell Phones, (We thought wow Id be scared to try that back in NY) We later learned from a residents in SC they have "NO" use of cellphone laws. (Im not saying thats a bad law to have in NY "BUT" its nice to have a Govt of SC allow the people of their state make their own decision for themselves and not have a Govt of NY make that decision for you!!" ) We pulled into a Bar/Restaurant and was asked by the waitress who greeted us with a huge smile.. "Would you like smoking or non smoking?" Once again we thought wow.. Are we in another country.. because just that feel of FREEDOM that we once lived years ago is NO LONGER THERE BACK HOME IN NYS. Now husband checks out the cost of a fishing and hunting license and he starts asking all sorts of living cost comparison between Buffalo NY and Conway SC .. We decide to meet with a realtor and we learned that Property taxes on a $300,000. home is "ONLY $900.00 a year.. VS $6,000.00 A YR IN a suburb of Buffalo NY. Savings wow.. $5,000.00 a year!! So we went to Cityratings web site to type in the comparison of living and we learned if you make $25,000.00 a year in Buffalo NY then you would ONLY have to make $12,000.00 in Conway SC to keep the same life style of living. Sure they have Tornado's in SC But we also did our homework and its only certain areas that are higher chances then others. Minimum wage may be lower to start out in SC vs NYS but at a cost of living cut into half and with beautiful temperatures year around that SC has to offer VS what BUFFALO HAS TO OFFER, We cant sell our home here in Western NY fast enough. We want out of this high taxed, Govt Controlled state NOW.. My husband says the only regret he has is we didnt make this move long before now, We may have been much richer in more ways then one. In money and in the feeling that a free America does still exists. From a 50 yr life long citizen of NYS all we have to say is "I hate NY" and no more will you get another tax dollar from this citizen or its family members who are all hard workers and will be transitioning out of NY very soon!
I just caught this post on a whim; I'm not from Buffalo, but noticed it highlighted in the state forum page on the top right side, where it shows the latest posts in each city's respective forum.

Congrats to you. We moved last year from Rochester down to the Charleston area and absolutely love it. I hate NYS, the taxes, the politics, the naive people that don't know they are being rear-ended by a horse, etc.. You are moving to a great state, my friend. People just GET it here. Sadly, it won't be the last you hear from NY. When you pay your taxes next year, you will curse the state up and down, like I did two months ago. But it will feel good once everything is said and done.

Tornadoes are rare along the coast in SC, and when they happen, they are extremely weak, so take that off your radar. Hurricanes, sure, but the locals say don't even worry about it. With you in Conway, I doubt you'll ever have to worry about it.

And don't worry about what other people are saying Re: cellphone, smoking, etc. South Carolina does what it wants and their people do too. Remember, most northerners get their perception of Southerners from TV and movies. They have no freggin' clue what it's like here, so just ignore them and leave them to die in the miserable lives in NYS under a heavy blanket of denial. I just read through pages of comments in this thread of morons who have no freggin' clue what they are talking about. OMG SNAKES!!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!? What kind of idiot are you to sit there and say you'd never move to a state because the snake population you read on Wikipedia or talked to your dopey friend about. Really? Just ignore these people. It's great down here. Don't believe ANY perceptions people have of the South. They are incorrect. Even the backwoods stuff. PM me if you need anything or want any additional information. I want to make it my life's work to assist Northerners get the F out of dodge and come to paradise. I lived 30 years in NY. Never again. If South Carolina sinks into the ocean, I'm not going back to NY.

Remember, if for whatever reason, it doesn't work in Conway, just head to another area of SC. I'm here in the Charleston area and every day is like a vacation. Good luck to you and your family. Logic and heart is on your side. But I think you won't have a problem. In the South, your neighbors are your neighbors, not some people that live next door that rarely talk to you. If a tree falls in your yard, your neighbors are right there with you helping you clean it up.

Oh and to the dopes that love cracking jokes about intelligence: I have a Master's degree and my IQ via WAIS-III was 143. I'll make sure to tip you a little better next time I'm in Buffalo and I tell you to fill it up with premium.

Last edited by rorytmeadows; 05-09-2014 at 06:32 PM..

Old 05-09-2014, 07:21 PM

93,257 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie2000 View Post
The housing market in Arizona is exploding again, As soon as you put your house on
the market, there is a biding war going on . houses are selling in 1 or 2 days and they are getting
$30,000, $40,000 and over $50,000 over the asking price with multiply bids.
It all comes down to simple supply and demand, Just Like Dallas & Austin etc., Arizona
has population explosion going on again vs WNY that lost nearly 1/2 it's population
WNY has lost half of its population?

Old 05-09-2014, 07:53 PM

6 posts, read 9,587 times
If someday their' s going to be water shortage in AZ , you would never know it with all thousands & thousands, of office & industrial parks, colleges, schools, hospital/medical, stadiums, shopping centers/malls master planned/sub divisions & etc. under construction right now, they all have some kind of water features, Lakes, ponds, water falls, water jets & fountains being built into them.

Old 05-09-2014, 08:05 PM

ckthankgod:
Quote:
"WNY has lost half of its population?"
Quote:
"Escape From New York? High-Taxing Empire State Loses 3.4 Million Residents in 10 Years--cnsnews.com/news/article/escape-new-york"
I wonder how many of those were from Western New York? And what the population of Western New York was during that time period. I'm also guessing that Western New York did not have the massive influx of foreign immigrants that the Hudson Valley, New York City and Long Island have had to partially offset their population loss. Western New York of course would not include Albany, the Hudson Valley, New York City and Long Island these are the most populated regions of the state.
Quote:
"If it were counted as a single area, the population of western New York would number 2.5 million" and consist of Batavia, Buffalo, Canandaigua, Dunkirk, Geneva, Jamestown, Lackawanna, Lockport, Niagara Falls, North Tonawanda, Olean, Rochester, Salamanca, Tonawanda.--http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_New_York
"Jackie2000" may not be that far off.

Old 05-09-2014, 08:10 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,813,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie2000 View Post
If someday their' s going to be water shortage in AZ , you would never know it with all thousands & thousands, of office & industrial parks, colleges, schools, hospital/medical, stadiums, shopping centers/malls master planned/sub divisions & etc. under construction right now, they all have some kind of water features, Lakes, ponds, water falls, water jets & fountains being built into them.
Friends moved out there and hated the cost of their water and restrictions on use! They moved back.
FWIW, my annual water bill for 2 of us is under $120. No restrictions. If any were put on, we have well and it can be used for the garden and outside easily .

Old 05-09-2014, 08:25 PM

jackie2000:
Quote:
"If someday their' s going to be water shortage in AZ , you would never know it with all thousands & thousands, of office & industrial parks, colleges, schools, hospital/medical, stadiums, shopping centers/malls master planned/sub divisions & etc. under construction right now, they all have some kind of water features, Lakes, ponds, water falls, water jets & fountains being built into them."
A lot of those water features especially water jets & fountains are recirculating water that is already there, some is lost due to evaporation but the amount is negligible. They were talking about building another 20,000 homes about 30 miles north of where I am. I don't think it will go through because of water issues that have been brought up at the county board meetings. We do indeed have lakes, ponds and water falls, and we do indeed have water issues. A lot of people have lawns that they water, but I can foresee a day when they will not allow that. We have an automatic sprinkler system in our yard, but I do not use it. I didn't move to Arizona to have a lush green lawn, the scenery and neighborhoods are fine to me without them. Being water conscious is part of living out here at least for us.

Old 05-09-2014, 08:33 PM

BuffaloTransplant:
Quote:
"Friends moved out there and hated the cost of their water and restrictions on use!"
I'm paying the same as I was in Peekskill, N.Y. about $120 per quarter and use about the same amount of water. In spite of our water situation, as of yet there have been no restrictions, I'm surprised that there haven't been any. If a lawn is important to you than Arizona is not the place for you. If they didn't like Arizona, I don't blame them for moving, but back to New York? There are plenty of other places where they could have moved to that are similar to New York without all the BS. You mentioned you have a well I'm sure that helps you cut back on your water bill.

Old 05-09-2014, 10:35 PM

515 posts, read 624,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
rubygreta:

Why is it you just don't understand the real reasons people are moving out of New York State in general? Or the fact that many people are not sorry they left and found that they could live a much better life elsewhere? Just go to Yahoo or Google and type in "Exodus from New York", you will get your information. If anything if you love it so much there. Why don't you try and change the political situation in New York to make it a more attractive and affordable place to live? I doubt that you will you'll just keep on electing Democrats who refuse to believe that it is there policies that cause so many people to go to all the trouble of selling their homes and leaving everything they are familiar with just to be out of that miserable state.

For all of the people that leave there are a multitude that would never give up the quality of life they have in the Northeast for elsewhere. Ever.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area