Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 01:24 PM

1,576 posts, read 5,347,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineFromBuffalo View Post
I have one thing to say to those of you who are giving Buffalo a neg-rep. Why? If you don't like the city or the suburbs leave. It obviously isn't hard and you won't miss anything from what most of you say, I mean Buffalo doesn't have any jobs and taxes are high. I am sure you will be much happier in another city.

What Buffalo needs is leaders willing to put their neck on the line. Get the corrupt out! Taxes and utilities are high in Buffalo because of those members of the community that suck it dry. The able bodied members of socity that would rather sell drugs then pay taxes! The corrupt cops who let these cowards stay on the streets.
The disgusting people that litter and don't take care of their property need to be fined, if they don't pay their fines arrest them. Then the jails need to do something usefully with those crimals... hey like clean the streets, if the tax payers are paying for their "care" while they sit in a jail cell doing the exact same thing they were doing before they were in jail (being a leech) they might as well do something useful.
I could go on and on about all the things that would make Buffalo better. But if the city of Buffalo were to do a few "simple" things like this, it would make the city more inviting more businesses would open. More business = more jobs = lower taxes = happy citizens.
And what can we, as citizens do about this? I would love to make Buffalo better through what you have just said, but how? How can WE change Buffalo for the better and get the corruptedness out? - Aside from nice pictures and good reputative talk . We need to step it up, and maybe our leaders will too - eh, you never know, and I'm sure we could help make our city great through us as One Community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2008, 03:27 PM

137 posts, read 316,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalonian4life View Post
And what can we, as citizens do about this? I would love to make Buffalo better through what you have just said, but how? How can WE change Buffalo for the better and get the corruptedness out? - Aside from nice pictures and good reputative talk . We need to step it up, and maybe our leaders will too - eh, you never know, and I'm sure we could help make our city great through us as One Community.
The "people's" oppinion matters to all of our leaders. Think about it, if enough people said they would not vote for that said person in the next election if they did not fix a certain issue, they will do it because without the people behind that person in the next election they won't be in office anymore.
Call the leaders out if they are not doing there job. Negitive rep. is always a bad thing.
Honestly I would run for mayor if I thought I could win, but a 22 yr old x-marine with no college education (yet) and no experience does not have much of a chance, if I thought I did I honestly would run for mayor.

Old 11-01-2008, 10:43 PM

1,576 posts, read 5,347,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarineFromBuffalo View Post
The "people's" oppinion matters to all of our leaders. Think about it, if enough people said they would not vote for that said person in the next election if they did not fix a certain issue, they will do it because without the people behind that person in the next election they won't be in office anymore.
Call the leaders out if they are not doing there job. Negitive rep. is always a bad thing.
Honestly I would run for mayor if I thought I could win, but a 22 yr old x-marine with no college education (yet) and no experience does not have much of a chance, if I thought I did I honestly would run for mayor.

But the mayor isn't the most important position of Buffalo. Oviously it matters who is in that high seat but what about developers, various urban organizations, etc that make up the majority of progress we see today in Buffalo. The mayor has done very little, but others are starting to catch on and develop, etc. Have you ever thought about being a city of Buffalo developer to take on projects, like restoring a vacant building and leasing it to others and market that space? People that do things as simple as these are so critical to any city or community. That's why, I am hoping to have a side job soon that will take me to an urban developer status so that I can take on some projects - flip some houses, build some NEW homes, buy some downtown abondoness and restore it or build it up. Now, this oviously would not solve the MANY other problems that are so evident within the city, however, it would certainly make our business climate look better - and would make our city look more presentable and thus, a better reputation.

Old 11-01-2008, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalonian4life View Post
But the mayor isn't the most important position of Buffalo. Oviously it matters who is in that high seat but what about developers, various urban organizations, etc that make up the majority of progress we see today in Buffalo. The mayor has done very little, but others are starting to catch on and develop, etc. Have you ever thought about being a city of Buffalo developer to take on projects, like restoring a vacant building and leasing it to others and market that space? People that do things as simple as these are so critical to any city or community. That's why, I am hoping to have a side job soon that will take me to an urban developer status so that I can take on some projects - flip some houses, build some NEW homes, buy some downtown abondoness and restore it or build it up. Now, this oviously would not solve the MANY other problems that are so evident within the city, however, it would certainly make our business climate look better - and would make our city look more presentable and thus, a better reputation.
Me and several friends who were also born and raised in Buffalo already have some ideas in the works, don't want to say what they are because I don't want someone to steal our ideas
I own one house right now in Buffalo and I plan on owning more that I am either going to sell or rent out. I will ONLY buy "fixer uppers" my house had not been updated since 1960 literally.
I would love to become a city of Buffalo developer, is that an offical position? How to you get started?

Old 11-03-2008, 04:47 PM

114 posts, read 868,136 times
I think we need reduced property taxes..I mean this is ridiculous. There is no major industry in buffalo, everyone works small jobs. I am surprised that people can even afford to pay them. My friends in NC pay 60% less property taxes then us and the state tax is only 6%.
MP.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minusach View Post
I think we need reduced property taxes..I mean this is ridiculous. There is no major industry in buffalo, everyone works small jobs. I am surprised that people can even afford to pay them. My friends in NC pay 60% less property taxes then us and the state tax is only 6%.
MP.

You can't just reduce property taxes, taxes are used to pay for "projects" around the city/county. To get taxes reduces enough to make a difference you need to increase something else. For example if they raise tolls they may be able to reduce property taxes but people would complain about that. The only real way to get taxes, tolls, and what have you reduced is for their to be more people employed.
More jobs, makes more money to go around, taxes can be lower (That is if the government decides they want to lower them)

Old 12-05-2008, 02:37 PM

22 posts, read 86,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itSmellsBAD View Post
SUNY Buffalo is gunfire central. All the funding in the world will not make the neighborhood safer. It's a nightmare. Rapes and murders are so common they don't even get much attention in the media. Smash and grab crimes, assaults etc are epidemic. Throwing cash at the problem is WHY we are in this situation. Buffalo is an open sewer.
Really?

We're not talking about the HOOD Moderator cut: personal debates / attacks We're talking about the actual inner-city. You start at the center and grow outward.

A nightmare at UB?

Really? You're obviously talking about South campus. For the past 3 years I've partied my ass off on streets just off of Main. Do you even know where north campus is? Moderator cut: personal debates / attacks

Last edited by bellafinzi; 12-05-2008 at 04:12 PM..

Old 12-05-2008, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcore View Post
Buffalo needs a safer community. Buffalo is the second most dangerous cities I have ever been.
WHERE DO YOU GO!?

Seriously? Do you walk through the fruitbelt by yourself or something? Holy **** man, woman, whatever you are.

When you talk about Buffalo being dangerous.. where do you refer to?

I've walked Buffalo alone several times to meet up with friends. I just stay away from the Genesee Ghetto/Broadway hood.

Instead of talking **** about my city, how about coming up with ideas to make it better.

-Make it harder to obtain welfare

-Continue turning old buildings into condos
(the more people to move into the actual city area, the more jobs move here)

-Extend the subway to the Buffalo airport and the Walden Galleria mall.. also, cut off some subway stops in the ghettos such as East Utica etc.

-There are way too many flat parking lots. Build some ramps, make them look presentable from the outside i.e. maybe some windows to go along with neighboring buildings.

-Offer tax breaks to big players coming into the area in hopes to expanding business. THE TAXES YOU WOULD GET FROM THEM IS FAR LESS THAN THE ECONOMIC OUTBURST THEY WILL PROVIDE FOR THE CITY.

-Require background checks/good credit and JOBS to rent out a home within 5 miles of the citys core.

-Like I said, start in the heart and flourish outward.

Buffalo is really on its way back and its a shame some of you dont see it. In the past 5 years, 2200+ upscale apartments/condos have gone up in the heart of Buffalo.. with plenty more planned. Fifteen years prior to that? Guess how many? 85, TOTAL!

And I'll continue....

-New peace bridge. We need a TOURIST attraction. How about a bridge like nobody has ever constructed before? Think the digital age.

-City cleanup. Walking around the city lately, cleanup looks to be moving along good.. but there is still work to be done.

-THE WATERFRONT
Huge opportunities here. Look at the area of Fuhrman boulevard.... an ABUNDANCE of land!

and finally,
TEAR THE ****ING SKYWAY DOWNNNNNNNNNNN!!

Moderator cut: personal debates / attacks

Last edited by bellafinzi; 12-05-2008 at 04:14 PM..

Old 12-05-2008, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MButler320 View Post
Being serious now Buffalo has to file bankrupsy, that will end any and all union BS that's sucking the life out of the city. No police or fire department will have a leg to stand on and Buiffalo can then regroup. Unions have ruined NY in general with all of it's organized crime sticking it's fingers even into the paper products that resturants order. The City needs to rid itself of any contract, any agreement it may have with any type on contractor.

fire the mayor and remove all commissioners. Just like many southern areas have the county take over, sheriffs office and fire department. Raise taxes, you have too, get rid of the poor, they do nothing for a city, raise taxes people will move and start to get richer folks in there. Get rid of the train that goes up Main Street and replace it with a Trolley Car. Little by little Buffalo will improve, I saw cops on TV the other day, Buffalo NY what a dump, big fat people half dressed, my wife laughed at me. I live in Ft Lauderdale now and have been here for 30 years. You have to change that image. Make it easy for a business to start and survive there, business will come back. Enforce the laws you already have on the books in terms of appearence, make people paint their house, cut the grass, no junk cars on the lawn. I used to live in Allentown 60's and part of the 70's I came back in 2003 to visit, what a dump, blacks and spanish all over, pot holes, if you cannot afford to live in Buffalo and live by the laws then get out.
Niagara Falls is another dump, one of the 7 wonders of the world and it looks like that.
I could never move back but those that want to stay you need to make a change.
Buffalo in apparence is probably one of the worst cities I have seen, there is simply no improvement at all and definately no money.
You live in Florida so your ignorance is DEFINITELY* understandable. Stop up here sometime, the construction that is ongoing is truly a breath of fresh air. Abandoned shops along main street are being renovated in anticipation of that area FINALLY seeing car traffic allowed back to the street.

People are moving from the burbs to the heart of the city and thats what will start this rebirth. Condos from 100,000-1,000,000+ have been added with more proposed and 80% have been sold before construction completion.

If that doesnt convince you that Buffalo is coming back, I don't know what will.

Buffalo Rising | Your Guide to Buffalo NY News, Arts, Events & Buffalo Restaurants
Only click if you are hopeful, though.

Old 12-05-2008, 03:13 PM

ALSO,

New York City needs to become its own district. The taxes we pay to keep that ****hole lit is unbearable for new business.

Personally, I hope long island sinks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area