Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2008, 08:39 PM

10 posts, read 39,990 times

Advertisements

This is my second-tier backup to U of M; it looks like it would carry just as much weight and be a little less selective.

--Is the transportation OK? I live in the Twin Cities so I'm used to 'meh' public transportation but it has to be at least adequate.

--How's the crime rate around the college and in the main city (where I'd probably end up hanging out)? I'm not overly afraid of it but I'd like to at least know.

--Is there a lot to do here via music/culture?

--The poverty rate appears to be very high here, and that makes me a little nervous since I will need, repeat, NEED a job to pay my way through school. How much harder would it be to find a job compared to here in Minneapolis?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2008, 07:55 AM

4,135 posts, read 10,815,877 times
SUNY Buffalo ( the Univ) is excellent and really isn't less selective than many schools anymore.. Undergrad is mostly North Campus; in the town of Amherst. Lots of dorms, student apts; Safe area & in a semi-rural location getting built up fast. SUNY South Campus is mostly Grad ( Med, Dental, Pharmacy, Arch, etc.) The area is a bit tough. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it, but walking around in bad areas off campus ( and ther are some) isn't a great idea ( esp. if you are alone and look vulnerable.) Transportaion from N to S campus is a campus bus that basically runs continually.[ It also goes to the supermarket and Mall ( look up SUNYAB and find schedules for the Buffalo Stampede)] The city buses and rail (NFTA) are good going from S. Campus to anywhere in the city in daytime. A metro pass is probably in the $60/all month all zones -- as many rides as you want, anywhere. It will be on the NFTA site. However, buses do not run really late except on a few lines.

Get hold of a Friday Buffalo News (try online) and look thru Gusto ( entertainment section). We have a Philharmonic and we have music in clubs/bars and there is a lot on college campuses as well; it lists all. We have theatre ( several downtown and lots of small repertory). The area many kids hang out in is either Chippewa ( clubs/bars) or the Elmwood strip. There is a lot to do on campus, so you might not even need to. As far a jobs, the poverty here is mostly welfare people who don't work. There are lots of jobs at SUNYAB -- it has a Commons, stores and all , on N. Campus. I imagine there are jobs there and also in places ike the 10+ libraries on campus, food service -- most standard college jobs, There are always hotel housekeeping ( right off campus are several), restaurant jobs around and working in supermarkets. Other talents, there are other jobs.

Best idea -- if you have no car -- is to make friends w/those who do. Makes life easier.

If you get posts about all the horrors of the city and SUNY, just keep in mind that any large Univ. is going to have crime. S. Campus ( city) will have more than North. I know a few posters will post all the crime stats. It is still a lot safer than many locations in the city. Don't let them deter you from thinking about it.

Old 02-05-2008, 09:26 AM

88 posts, read 530,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MascaraSnake View Post
--Is the transportation OK? I live in the Twin Cities so I'm used to 'meh' public transportation but it has to be at least adequate.
Transportation around the city is also 'meh' as you put it. There is a train that will take you throughout the city but it is limited in time (think it stops running 12 midnight) and in location (doesn't go everywhere like in NYC). As for transportaion on campus, there is a bus to take you back and forth between North and South campuses. If you live on North campus, most of your immediate needs are already on campus (stores, bank, billiard, etc)--so a car is not really necessary. If you live on South Campus, bars and stores are within walking distance.--again, a car is not necessary.

Quote:
--How's the crime rate around the college and in the main city (where I'd probably end up hanging out)? I'm not overly afraid of it but I'd like to at least know.
The neighboorhood around South campus is not the best. Don't get me wrong, by no means do you have to be afraid to walk around...it's not like that at all. The are used to the college kids around the neighborhood, and surrounding businesses are accomodating.

Quote:
--Is there a lot to do here via music/culture?
I would say there is an average amount to do with respects to the arts. If you seek you will find.

Quote:
--The poverty rate appears to be very high here, and that makes me a little nervous since I will need, repeat, NEED a job to pay my way through school. How much harder would it be to find a job compared to here in Minneapolis?
I don't think you will have trouble getting a job especially if you enter a work study program (there will be ample opportunity there). As far as finding work off of campus, it is most certainly there as well. I know people who were working their way through school and they never had trouble finding something. I wouldn't worry about the high unemployement rate...that's characteristic of "hood" neighborhoods. It doesn't mean there isn't work, it just means the people there choose not to work for various reasons.

Old 02-16-2008, 09:37 PM

5 posts, read 18,044 times
Buffalo has a lot in the area of music for a city of its size. There's pretty much couple of shows of any type of music every night, and on Friday & Saturday there're more. There're a ton of galleries and theatres too.

The public transit system will pretty much get you where you need to go in the city, as long as you have anything that tells time and a few bus schedules. It's not the greatest system, but it works - at least for me. BTW the busses only run to about 1 or 1:30 AM. There is a late night bus, but I'm not sure on exactly how late or where it runs.

The crime rate around the college is a little high, but there are far worse areas in the city.

Old 02-26-2008, 03:10 PM

48 posts, read 137,679 times
My daughter is considering University of Buffalo too. HOw is the campus?

Do alot of the kids visit Toronto?

How is financial aid. We are from Illinois.

Old 02-10-2013, 08:53 AM

4,135 posts, read 10,815,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurama93 View Post
My daughter is considering University of Buffalo too. HOw is the campus?

Do alot of the kids visit Toronto?

How is financial aid. We are from Illinois.
Out of state tuition is substantially higher than in state. Depending on her major and on level ( grad/undergrad) some adi might be around. She would not get the $250/semester TAP - instate only for that.

Also, to be instate ( and get instate tuition) means living here in a real residence over a year and a NY license and a tax return. They are very strict.

Here's their website:
Welcome to the University at Buffalo - University at Buffalo

On campus out of state undergrad? About $32,500 total,w/ all fees ( bottom right on link) -- their figures . [For the record, in state tuition is less than $6K]
http://financialaid.buffalo.edu/costs/undergradcost.php
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area