Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 06:37 PM

2,898 posts, read 1,865,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
Not much to do there. Kind of far from everything especially in the winter.
Debatable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2017, 08:07 AM

6,406 posts, read 4,901,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
Debatable.
I lived in both places. Unless proximity to the football stadium is a priority they are far from everything. If you have a family that keeps you busy much of the time then they are OK. If you are an avid skier then they are close to ski country. Both cities are Southtowns. The McKinley Mall is a ghost town, the Seneca Mall is a huge empty parking lot. Galleria is approx 20 minutes from both in nice weather. Both are 30 minutes from the Peace bridge to Canada. Both are 25-30 minutes from downtown and hospitals. The Southtowns does not have decent hospitals. I lived in Snyder which was 10 minutes from downtown, 10 minutes from the Galleria, 5 minutes from the Thruway and I-290.

Old 09-02-2017, 10:58 AM

3,532 posts, read 3,019,347 times
I don't think that I could ever afford to buy in east aurora so I don't think it's a good idea to even rent for a year there knowing I can never stay.
Most of the other towns have places that I can afford to buy, I'd rather focus there. I'm going to spend a few days up there later this month or next to get a feel. I'm really interested in what you consider lots of traffic in some towns. It may be what I was dealing with in northwest Indiana and really not that big of a deal to me.

Old 09-02-2017, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
I don't think that I could ever afford to buy in east aurora so I don't think it's a good idea to even rent for a year there knowing I can never stay.
Most of the other towns have places that I can afford to buy, I'd rather focus there. I'm going to spend a few days up there later this month or next to get a feel. I'm really interested in what you consider lots of traffic in some towns. It may be what I was dealing with in northwest Indiana and really not that big of a deal to me.

Be sure to report back and let us know how it goes and what your impressions are.

Old 09-16-2017, 07:26 PM

284 posts, read 269,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellob View Post
The taxes aren't that terrible. They are way better than Orange County. For the 4-5k I'd be in a decent home in a safe town. Here, I'd pay a bit more taxes to be in a fixer upper in Middletown or Port Jervis. A 150-200k house in a safe town there would be 240-350k here with 7-10k taxes.
Exactly! While for people not from the Hudson valley area, taxes probably seem high but my house was
150k and my taxes are $5600 and I'm in Sullivan county. Our taxes are very reasonable for here. Lower Orange County, you typically can't touch (Warwick, Florida, Monroe ) for less than 9k in taxes

Old 09-17-2017, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristenleex View Post
150k and my taxes are $5600 and I'm in Sullivan county. Our taxes are very reasonable for here. Lower Orange County, you typically can't touch (Warwick, Florida, Monroe ) for less than 9k in taxes
That's madness

Old 09-18-2017, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Exactly! While for people not from the Hudson valley area, taxes probably seem high but my house was
I know. It's terrible here. Even if you buy in a dump like PJ or Middletown, the taxes are so high. The only place in OC that isn't sky high is Deerpark and if I had to live in those boonies, I might as well go to the Adirondack area and pay 2k a year. This area is insane. They act like you're part of NYC metro but you're not getting any benefit of NYC. I can't wait to get away from here.

Old 09-18-2017, 04:08 PM

93,231 posts, read 123,842,121 times
Quote:
is that consistent or does it vary? I only ask because of this listing: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...0_M49657-80001

Old 09-18-2017, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
is that consistent or does it vary? I only ask because of this listing: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...0_M49657-80001
A lot of them are currently lower bc they have long time owners and haven't been recently assessed. This one is cheaper, more recently assessed and the taxes are 8k. If you buy now, this is close to the reality.
The home you linked would be a gut job for the vast majority of people who move to Warwick.

https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...-73993#photo12

Old 10-29-2017, 06:19 PM

I went to visit last week. I like the south towns a lot but think Williamsville/Amherst might be the short term winner. I'm going to watch the snowfall and see how different it is.

Does anyone know where I can track the snow by town and not just the general Buffalo report?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area