Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What's your "Buffalo story"
I've lived in Buffalo, NY all my life 8 17.78%
I moved away for school/work (haven't returned) 9 20.00%
I moved away for school/work and returned to Buffalo 4 8.89%
Never lived in Buffalo, but it's nice to visit 5 11.11%
I came to Buffalo for school/work and settled here 6 13.33%
I came to Buffalo for school/work and left 6 13.33%
I have a "Western New York story" and will leave a comment 4 8.89%
Other... will leave a comment 3 6.67%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 09:06 AM

2,972 posts, read 8,216,361 times

Advertisements

For my 400th post, I thought I'd make it a good one.

I hope this poll can remain specific to the City of Buffalo. Make a selection of which best fits... and place share your Buffalo stories in a post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 09:21 AM

I've lived in Buffalo all my life and I still think it's the best city when political problems are set aside.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:08 AM

327 posts, read 939,777 times
Thumbs up My story

Came to the United States on a visitor visa. Lived for a few month in Orchard Park, later in South Buffalo. Had lived in the South Buffalo apartment for 5 years while taking English Language classes for adults in downtown Buffalo and later working. Decided to stay in America. Got green card and later became an American citizen. Bought a house and moved to the Lackawanna/Blasdell area.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:24 AM

3,483 posts, read 6,267,693 times
Lived in Elma/East Aurora for 40 years and split after the winter of 1999. Couldn't take the harsh winters no more. Throwing snow off my roof, was it for me. I'd return if the employment situation was right.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:27 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,820,073 times
I moved here int he 1960s to go to college in the city. Then I went to the city campus of UB ( no north campus then). I married a local. I have lived in Buffalo, north of the city and way east......

I worked here over 30 years (closer to 40 if you count college jobs), raised my family here ( kids and spouse are still here and with good jobs). My husband worked here even longer.

You could not pay me to move unless it was perhaps to New England and free!!

Old 05-06-2008, 11:34 PM

928 posts, read 3,853,445 times
Buffalo has alot of hidden gems especially in employment. If I joined corporate america again, I'd consider getting into a business that does business in Buffalo so I could transfer. I don't beleive that's going to happen though.

I miss the food, the people, the sarcasim, telling it like it is, Elmwood Taco's and SUb (they ahd the best wings), Sweet Tooth on Elmwood, and many others. I know i can swing all this in a visit, but the Climate is relaly the deal breaker now.

Born and raise in South Buffalo - You can take the girl out of NY but you cannot take the NY out of the girl. In the south they have redneck and i have my NY temper.

Old 05-07-2008, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack2008 View Post
met a guy who works for Buffalo BioDiesel the other day. They pick up local restaurants waste grease and turned into biodiesel. I didn't know that we had such a company here in Buffalo.
====================
jack

With our love of chicken wings, it is probably very profitable!!

Old 05-07-2008, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
With our love of chicken wings, it is probably very profitable!!
High Five BT!!!

My best Buffalo story is... I'm raising my children in the same neighborhood their great-grandfather was brought up in. The same neighborhood my great-grandfather died in. My best Buffalo story is my family history, four generations on both sides.

Old 05-07-2008, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FedupWNY View Post
High Five BT!!!

My best Buffalo story is... I'm raising my children in the same neighborhood their great-grandfather was brought up in. The same neighborhood my great-grandfather died in. My best Buffalo story is my family history, four generations on both sides.
My husband's family was from Buffalo and points south... you could never safely bring kids up where he was born (on E. Ferry, when it was a nice blue-collar area)..... If I lived where I had grown up ( downstate), my daughters would have been 5th generation in the town. I moved here, loved it and stayed... marry a local, you stay here!

Old 05-08-2008, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
My husband's family was from Buffalo and points south... you could never safely bring kids up where he was born (on E. Ferry, when it was a nice blue-collar area)..... If I lived where I had grown up ( downstate), my daughters would have been 5th generation in the town. I moved here, loved it and stayed... marry a local, you stay here!
Shortly after moving off the East Side into the neighborhood I'm in now was when I discovered my great-grandfather raised his family a few blocks away. He passed on in 1941 but I sometimes try to imagine myself walking in his footsteps down the same streets, in the same park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area