Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 07:48 PM

928 posts, read 3,854,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmd51 View Post
Its called south Buffalo. AKA in charlotte
Huh? South Buffalo IS South Buffalo the home of Jimmy Griffin.... I never heard this and I lived in Charlotte for 9 years! There is a Canisius Alumni Chapter in charlotte and i'm sure they've never heard of this reference either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2008, 09:39 PM

225 posts, read 716,727 times
The folks that are from Charlotte (natives) have said to me its called south buffalo due to the transplants here.

Old 05-24-2008, 07:16 AM

79 posts, read 258,844 times
I work in corporate relocation in Atlanta and I have more transferees requesting relocation to offices in the north & midwest. I think it will be a growing trend with rising costs in the south and a rapidly growing population.

Last edited by NYGirl1216; 05-24-2008 at 07:32 AM..

Old 05-26-2008, 02:54 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,908,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FedupWNY View Post
Thanks to shibainu who posted the complete list in the Rochester forum:
http://www.primacy.com/resources/BestCitiesFamily2008.pdf (broken link)
this list makes NO sense..pittsburgh is the most polluted city in the USA and it's number one on large cities...Omaha? number one? you like tornados? the house prices are relatively high...the first top five on the lists are not high end places -depressed economies with little hope for growth -you think a big biz is going to move to SYracuse and pay those taxes with a smaller tax base due o the exodus of population? Makes no sense..the cities where folks are moving to are in Texas, NC, TN,etc. 30 new companies are moving to Nashville this year -10k new jobs, no snow, low taxes, and appreciating real estate -relo families are learning the truth about these upstate towns -they advertise the cheap crack house prices in the city...but when they buy in the suburbs they are paying over a 100 a square foot in places like amherst and clarence and paying TWICE the taxes! not a good deal no matter how good they think the schools are ( schools used to be better) ....good luck...

Old 05-26-2008, 09:47 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,825,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XNYgirl View Post
Especially those winter gas bills - Ouch1!!
If you rent, find a place WITH utilites.

BTW, with full a/c on all year and heat at 68 in winter, and NYSEG for elec ( higher than Nat. grid) I spend less than $2K for my house. Add water and town and county taxes, it is still under $5K.

Old 05-27-2008, 02:26 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,440,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XNYgirl View Post
Huh? South Buffalo IS South Buffalo the home of Jimmy Griffin.... I never heard this and I lived in Charlotte for 9 years! There is a Canisius Alumni Chapter in charlotte and i'm sure they've never heard of this reference either.
Actually, I have heard Charlotte called Buffalo South MANY times. Just go into Tavern on the Tracks when the Bills or Sabres are losing...I mean playing. I see more Bills/Sabres bumper stickers and personalized license plates here than I did on my recent trip to WNY. I don't go anywhere around here without running into people from Buffalo and MANY of my coworkers are from there.

Old 05-27-2008, 02:28 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,440,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
If you rent, find a place WITH utilites.

BTW, with full a/c on all year and heat at 68 in winter, and NYSEG for elec ( higher than Nat. grid) I spend less than $2K for my house. Add water and town and county taxes, it is still under $5K.
When I factor all of these in where I live I get about $2000 annually, if that, in Fort Mill, SC (right next to Charlotte). I don't even pay city taxes and also don't pay tolls.

Old 05-27-2008, 03:32 PM

327 posts, read 940,142 times
Default Alive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmd51 View Post
Cheap houses, but the taxes and utilities will kill ya.
Sounds like you're still alive.

Old 05-27-2008, 03:35 PM

327 posts, read 940,142 times
Thumbs up Balance

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
When I factor all of these in where I live I get about $2000 annually, if that, in Fort Mill, SC (right next to Charlotte). I don't even pay city taxes and also don't pay tolls.
But you paid to much for your house and home insurance. One way ot another it all balances.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:33 AM

4,135 posts, read 10,825,959 times
I pay no city tax; I don't live in the city. I avoid the Thruway, so no tolls. Personally, I would rather have the costs I have (and our paid for home) -- living here comes out very cheaply -- than the insanity of crowded areas, an area that worries over water, the heat.... you get the idea. You can keep the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area