Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 12:44 PM

7 posts, read 37,286 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Buffalo for professional reasons and was hoping for some advice about the best areas to live. I am looking for an area that is cheap, close to Buffalo University (South campus), and is safe.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2008, 02:50 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,860,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by areg99 View Post
I'm moving to Buffalo for professional reasons and was hoping for some advice about the best areas to live. I am looking for an area that is cheap, close to Buffalo University (South campus), and is safe.

Thanks!
I would stay away from anything in direct contact with the university, and it depends on what you are looking for? Are you bringing a family with you? Do you need good schools? Are you looking to rent an apt or home or buy a home? Give us a little more of what you 'need"

Welcome!!!

Colleen

Old 06-23-2008, 03:09 PM

I don't have kids or other family coming with me, it'll just be me. This is the first time I'm ever relocating though, and I'd rather stay in a suburban-like area. Right now I'm really liking Amherst. From what I'm read on this forum, it seems to be one of the safest areas and is not too far from UB. I do have a car, so a little distance won't be a problem. I'm looking to rent an apartment, but have a very low salary as a beginning researcher, so I need something very affordable.

Thanks!

Old 06-23-2008, 03:10 PM

19 posts, read 47,036 times
Default suggestion

I would say consider the area near UB (South Campus). Some nice streets are University Avenue and some smaller streets within a few block radius. I would avoid Englewood Ave because it is predominately students and once school is on ..well college parties galore.

Across Main Street, Highgate is ok up to Parkridge. Going up Main Street (north) towards the Town of Williamsville has lovely homes, but I'm not sure of pricing.

I am a landlord of over 5 years and my property off of Main St., 2 blocks from UB (SC). I would recommend the street, but it is mostly small homes with long time (mostly elderly) residents and is ok. I rent to grad students who always tell me of the feeling of safety they have.

Do consider if you have a family. I am promoter of city living and you can find lovely and safe housing in the area you mentioned. Consider your preferences. UB area is nice because you can get many things without ever really having to get on the expressway.

Last edited by global_gal; 06-23-2008 at 03:15 PM.. Reason: missplelling and incomplete

Old 06-23-2008, 05:04 PM

259 posts, read 889,502 times
Try an Apt. in the Town of Tonawanda,maybe along Sheridan drive. 5 minute drive to UB,safe and cheaper than Amherst.

Old 06-23-2008, 05:56 PM

327 posts, read 940,485 times
Thumbs up UB will help

UB has a great location when city of Buffalo, Amherst, and Tanawanda merge.
You're on the right track: do your homework first. Good luck.
Contact the UB' housing offices and the'll guide you with your housing needs. Ask for a consultation andyou'll assigned a couselor. They're good at it!!
Go to UB's website and ask your question. They'll help!!

DO YOUR HOMEWORK. YOU ARE A RESEARCHER. RIGHT?

Old 06-28-2008, 10:45 AM

Yes I am a researcher, and getting information and opinions of others is part of my research! Thanks for all of your input! I'll be going up to Buffalo soon to look at some places. Does anyone know how diverse the Buffalo/Amherst area is? Specifically what is the South Asian population like (if any)?

Also, what is the best (by best, I mean cheapest) way to get to Buffalo from Northern NJ?

Thanks again!

Old 06-28-2008, 10:56 PM

19 posts, read 47,036 times
Default for travel

You can check low cost inter city travel. They leave from Penn Station.

Old 06-29-2008, 06:22 AM

259 posts, read 889,502 times
Check JetBlue?

Old 06-29-2008, 07:41 PM

327 posts, read 940,485 times
Default Researcher challenge

Find more about Buffalo Home - City of Buffalo and Amherst Official Website of the Town of Amherst, New York
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area