Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2008, 03:48 PM

10 posts, read 36,069 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone.

I'm almost done with my college search and I applied to a school in Buffalo, New York almost 9 hours away from my home town on Long Island. While I really liked the school and the area, could anyone tell me (or try) to tell me what the transition would be like. Buffalo gets a lot of snow and East Moriches (where I live) gets not enough (lol). Does anyone think a New Yorker like me would be able to adjust? I also like the cold weather! And if I was gonna drive any idea on what I should be driving? I know this is a lot of info, but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Jeremy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2008, 04:41 PM

259 posts, read 888,763 times
Its snows. We deal with it and life goes on. You learn when to take it slow. What school and where are you going to live? On Campus?

Old 10-29-2008, 06:43 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,857,403 times
anything other than a scooter will be fine - we get a bad rap - boston gets more snow and shuts down easier..........the snow is the least of your worries - i assure you!!

Old 10-29-2008, 08:33 PM

1,576 posts, read 5,348,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandsofblue View Post
Hey Everyone.

I'm almost done with my college search and I applied to a school in Buffalo, New York almost 9 hours away from my home town on Long Island. While I really liked the school and the area, could anyone tell me (or try) to tell me what the transition would be like. Buffalo gets a lot of snow and East Moriches (where I live) gets not enough (lol). Does anyone think a New Yorker like me would be able to adjust? I also like the cold weather! And if I was gonna drive any idea on what I should be driving? I know this is a lot of info, but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Jeremy

You will love it here! Welcome to one of the most growing, hip college areas in the country! Welcome and enjoy your time in Buffalo, New York .

Old 10-29-2008, 09:58 PM

2,972 posts, read 8,214,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bandsofblue View Post
Does anyone think a New Yorker like me would be able to adjust?
Jeremy, we're all "New Yorkers" based on statehood. You're no different in WNY as I'd be in NYC. Go to Duffy's, enjoy some great wings & you'll adjust just fine

You didn't mention the school you settled on, (you don't have to say), just interested in what Buffalo is offering that NYU isn't.

Old 10-30-2008, 04:59 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,857,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffalonian4life View Post
You will love it here! Welcome to one of the most growing, hip college areas in the country! Welcome and enjoy your time in Buffalo, New York .

that picture is gorgeous!!!! did you take it??????

Old 10-30-2008, 10:14 AM

259 posts, read 888,763 times
Before you come take a walk down to 42nd & 2nd on a Sunday afternoon at 1 pm. Just a "little taste" of Buffalo.

Old 10-30-2008, 03:06 PM

10 posts, read 36,069 times
Haha thanks these posts were very helpful. In response to you FedupWNY, I'm pretty sure NYU does offer chiropractic. I wanna go to D'Youville or the other school I applied to was in Boston haha so it looks like I have a snowy decision. ;-) and I'd be staying on campus.

And yeah I'd love to go and have some wings. I love me some wings =D

Thanks everyone for your help

Old 10-31-2008, 09:45 PM

1,576 posts, read 5,348,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAugust View Post
that picture is gorgeous!!!! did you take it??????

Indeed I did, thank you!!!

Old 10-31-2008, 09:46 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,817,172 times
Jeremy, I moved here from LI in the late 1960s to go to college. I fell in love with the place, married a local, had my family and career here and we are now retired here. Very little is differnet except life is slower. First time my husband saw the 10 am traffic ( after rush hour) on LI, he freaked! Traffic is much less hectic. Cost of living is lower, much lower. The house I grew up in on the south shore is worth $400K+ and here they go for less than $90K. Rents are the same in proportiion..... Living on campus is simple and buses are aroun d all the colleges. Look up NFTA.com for bus routes and schedules. As to the snow, I have family in the Babylon/DeerPark area who are getting worse storms than here.... the difference is we get it fairly consistently.

Adjusting to Buffalo is not hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area