Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2007, 04:15 PM

16 posts, read 70,782 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Buffalo area after living all my life on Long Island, I know this will be a big change. We were looking at the syracuse area but my husbands transfer may be to Buffalo. Any nice lake properties. Looking for a three bedroom ranch with a basement. Good school district and medical facilities near by. Ice rink close also as my daughter skates in competition. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2007, 05:55 PM

991 posts, read 4,617,855 times
Hey what part of the Island are you moving from, we are looking all over to relocate, including PA<upstate NY,NC and NC. Is your husband in health care mine is. The doctor he worked for for 10 years graduated from Suny Buffalo. After reading some of the NC/SC about it being infested with copperheads I am not so sure I want to live there!

Old 04-19-2007, 07:03 PM

103 posts, read 653,978 times
Amherst has the Pepsi center for skating, a decent school district, but it is not on the lake.

Grand Island has a lot of river front properties. Again, not cheap. I am unfamiliar with the school system but if you are interested I can ask my ex as his stepchildren go to school on Grand Island.

The city of Buffalo has a school district that is what you make of it. City Honors is highly rated, as are Tech (broken link) and Leonardo Da Vinci High School. All of those require admission testing.

Lake front properties downtown are not cheap, nor are the ones in Hamburg. Local MLS listings

Ranches are available although the larger the ranch the more the price per square foot. Basements are customary. I would hesitate to purchase a home on a slab in this area as it may be a more difficult resale. You will have an easier time finding a ranch in the suburbs rather then the city.

By medical facilities do you mean hospitals, urgent care facilities or doctor offices?

Old 05-10-2007, 05:53 AM

16 posts, read 79,260 times
Default moveing from orlando fl to amherst

im thinking of moveing from orlando fl to amherst ny. whats there to do up there? and is it a smart move?

Old 05-10-2007, 12:45 PM

31 posts, read 153,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omar1 View Post
im thinking of moveing from orlando fl to amherst ny. whats there to do up there? and is it a smart move?
Clearing Snow from October to April, paying taxes and wondering if your house will sink. That ought to keep you busy.

Old 05-11-2007, 08:28 AM

hi everyone! im thinking of moveing to amherst from orlando fl because of the crime. i been reading how buffelo has alot of crime so im really not sure on if its good for my family and me. can anyone please tell me how far is amherst from where all this crime is going down? also i am hispanic would i have any problems living in amherst? im looking for a better life can anyone help me??? one more thing how much are the property taxes??

Old 05-11-2007, 03:23 PM

928 posts, read 3,851,876 times
The city can be a crap hole depending on where you go.

The biggest hospital Erie County Medical Center is in the HEART of The GHETTO, with drugs and gunshot victims being their specialty . Stay away from Ferry, Grider, West and East Side, Delvan Ave. Buffalo General is in a crappy area too. Actually all the hospitals seem to be in urban decay areas.

Good Luck, I'd stick with rochester if you can or amherst. I do'nt think there's many hospitals in amherst though. THings are expensive in NY.

Also, NC isn't full of copperheads, I've never seen a snake in the 8 years I have been here. The City Schools stink too, the suburbs are more expensive but the schools are directly funded by the tax base, the nicer the property the better your schools. It's not like that in the South.

Old 05-11-2007, 04:56 PM

im just looking for some where nice to live i now that i cant buy a home in the city so upstate was my best bet. now if im going to be around gun shots and thives i rather stay here. i moved from staten island ny to orlando fl in 2001 and it was great now everyone has moved over here and crime is high. i looked it up at 1-10 orlando was a 8..

Old 05-12-2007, 06:10 PM

103 posts, read 653,978 times
No, you will not be getting shot at in the city of Buffalo - some people...

The city of Buffalo is generally divided into 5 parts - north Buffalo, south Buffalo, the west side, the east side and downtown. I personally would not move to the east side. Every major city has a part that is not as good as the rest of the city, and the east side would fulfill that "need" for Buffalo.

Millard Fillmore City (a hospital) is located in the richest area in Western NY. You can type in the words Chapin Parkway, Lincoln Parkway, into the local mls www.buffaloniagarahomes.com to see the "crap hole" that area is. Buffalo General one block east of Main street. Linwood, the next street over from Main, is where many relocating doctors have chosen to live.

Here is what I wrote in another thread about Amherst -

Quote:
Amherst is the largest suburb of Buffalo. If it were a city, it would be the 4th largest in NYS. Amherst is always rated in the top 3 safest communities over 50,000 people in the US, and it is the safest at the 100,000+ mark.
Millard Fillmore Suburban Hospital is located on the corner of Hopkins and Maple. There is indeed a hospital in Amherst.

Amherst itself is very diverse. You may want to look at the demographic breakdown. Your ethnicity will not matter in Amherst (or in Buffalo).

While the weather will be a big change from the muggy, icky heat (IMO) of Orlando, there is no better weather in the US from May - October than in upstate NY. One other perk is you can go outside here every day, any time of day. No more doing all your errands at the crack of dawn because it is too hot to go out later. Depending on how long you have lived in Orlando you will probably find the area very cold from Nov - March. Just remember to add another layer until your blood thickens.

Old 05-12-2007, 07:24 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,078,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XNYgirl View Post
The city can be a crap hole depending on where you go.

The biggest hospital Erie County Medical Center is in the HEART of The GHETTO, with drugs and gunshot victims being their specialty . Stay away from Ferry, Grider, West and East Side, Delvan Ave. Buffalo General is in a crappy area too. Actually all the hospitals seem to be in urban decay areas.

Good Luck, I'd stick with rochester if you can or amherst. I do'nt think there's many hospitals in amherst though. THings are expensive in NY.

Also, NC isn't full of copperheads, I've never seen a snake in the 8 years I have been here. The City Schools stink too, the suburbs are more expensive but the schools are directly funded by the tax base, the nicer the property the better your schools. It's not like that in the South.
I'm just curious XNY girl, you spend a lot of time bashing Buffalo and NY in general while living in the wonderful world of NC....I'm thinking you miss NY more than you want to admit. I have a sibling that moved there recently and he's admitted that expense-wise, it's right there with NY and climbing (Triangle area) and the schools are so-so compared to NY.....yes, no doubt business is booming and population is growing but at a rate that could have dire consequences for the entire area down the road. And he talks about the water restrictions and brushfire alerts and tornado concerns that he never had to deal with in upstate.........no place is perfect IMO but give me a snowstorm anyday, never had one wipe my house off the map!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area