Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 08:07 PM

3,514 posts, read 9,428,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canerican View Post
I just checked in in Manchester, and they are nicer here, it seems.
The Manchester, NH area was the only place I've been to in New England where I felt at home. The people there remind of how the Syracuse area was in the early 1990s when it was growing from an influx of newcomers/outsiders.

Canerican, go check out the coastal area of Connecticut from New Haven to NYC! That was probably the rudest area I've ever been to in my life!

The people in Montreal weren't super friendly to me when I opened my mouth and spoke english, but their culture, class and outlook in life canceled out any rudeness I encountered. I loved Quebec so much that if I had to move away from Syracuse and could live anywhere I'd probably move to Montreal.

Old 08-16-2009, 08:37 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,817,172 times
You want rude overage hippies and younger liveral nutcases in NE? Go to Brattleboro VT.

Old 08-17-2009, 12:20 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,772,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post

Canerican, go check out the coastal area of Connecticut from New Haven to NYC! That was probably the rudest area I've ever been to in my life!
Oh yeah! NYC! I went inside a Pathmark Supermarket in the Bronx the last time I was there to ask for directions and the clerk so curtly cut me off saying "Sir I'm on break, go ask her" and promptly walked away. That was utmost rude. Yet what do you expect from The Big Apple? The place is so crowded that there simply isn't enough time to help everyone's needs. The friendliest period I have experienced down there was right after 9/11 when the city was hungry for tourists. Since then, while not everyone has been rude or mean - I did encounter some very friendly and helpful people - the manners have gone down again.

Old 08-17-2009, 12:35 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,336,773 times
Quote:
I agree with all of this. But I also have to admit that I never would have moved to Vermont in a million years.

These stupid hippies talk about love, and unity, and friendship, but I guess it ends outside of the drum circle, because I certainly felt no love (and no I wasn't wearing my NRA hat or anything like that )

I'm sorry....that just cracked me up. Vermont is one of the very few states I haven't been to, so I'm not commenting on its people. I just thought this was hilarious.

PS-- I'm close enough to Vermont now to make the trip easily. But I'm not sure I want to!

Maybe I'll wait until the autumn comes and just take the family for a drive to see the mountain foliage...

Old 08-17-2009, 06:40 PM

969 posts, read 2,073,921 times
Yippee, more classic city-data forum sweeping generalizations. A couple experiences doesn't represent an entire region. With some exceptions (some of them being due to visitors unaware of the local culture, more in foreign countries), the way you're treated is dependent on your actions. I've travelled plenty enough to know this to be true.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:49 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,817,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisps View Post
Yippee, more classic city-data forum sweeping generalizations. A couple experiences doesn't represent an entire region. With some exceptions (some of them being due to visitors unaware of the local culture, more in foreign countries), the way you're treated is dependent on your actions. I've travelled plenty enough to know this to be true.
No, but forget the term generaliztions when you have lots of family or friends in the region you are talking about.

Old 08-18-2009, 01:28 PM

8 posts, read 14,421 times
Quote:
I called Buffalo a very rude city, but I was wrong. I am doing a tour of New England right now (in Burlington today), and I can tell you that these people are RUDE! Stuff that Buffalonians do without thinking, holding doors, saying hi to strangers, letting a lady go by first, doesn't happen here. Even in Saratoga Springs where I ate breakfast and lunch.

Just terrible!

I certainly took some things for granted, and odd as it is to say it, I miss Buffalo, after two days. I've only spent 3 days so far, but this stinks. I was hoping to get to talk to some people, but me and the group I am with have been treated rudely. Even servers at good restaurants aren't nice.

I went to a Subway and was told, "If you don't know what you want I have alot of work to do," because I was looking for the paper with everyone's orders for less than 10 seconds.

I can understand how all you New Englanders can fairly call Buffalo a friendly city. It sure isn't the South, but it has the manners and civility of the midwest.

Now, on to Manchester, Boston, Providence, then to Virginia!
Have you ever been to the South? Southern Hospitality is a falsehood. People are just as rude here as anywhere else. Sometimes even more so. They tend to smile in your face then stab you in the back.

Old 08-18-2009, 02:14 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,545,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbdelucia View Post
Have you ever been to the South? Southern Hospitality is a falsehood. People are just as rude here as anywhere else. Sometimes even more so. They tend to smile in your face then stab you in the back.
Couldn't agree more.

Old 08-18-2009, 09:11 PM

922 posts, read 3,861,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbdelucia View Post
I've heard that from many, many people. That's why you can't judge an area's relative "friendliness" or "rudeness" from simple interactions like store clerks or restaurant servers. You really don't know anyplace until you live there for at least several months.

Old 08-19-2009, 07:13 AM

1,515 posts, read 3,332,888 times
Whereas in New England they'll stab you in your front... Right...

I'm in the Hampton Roads area, and I've found my place. It's amazing, new buildings going up, housing is affordable, wages are high, traffic isn't bad... THERE ARE JOBS. They have several malls that are bigger than the Galleria. Taxes are low.

Most importantly the people are so friendly everywhere. You hear please and thank you, the men treat women properly.

This isn't quintessential Southern obviously, but it is amazing, and the manners here are good, people are far nicer than in Buffalo.

People say that you have to trade a growing and vibrant city for low traffic or low housing costs like Buffalo, that isn't true, I drove to and from downtown Norfolk to Virginia Beach twice, and I drove the speed limit the whole time except for about 5 minutes I drove 40 mph.

I agree with what you said though Upstater, that's why I went to church here and met the "regular folks."

Now I will say that Boston was by far the rudest place. Even the waitresses didn't even try and be polite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area