Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-12-2009, 07:44 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,903,785 times

Advertisements

My mom is looking in that area and do I recall some gypsum mines around the area? Any landfills or large electric grid towers? She has serious asthma problems...isn't gypsum what they use to make asbestos?

thanks!

12buttons
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2009, 10:53 AM

744 posts, read 1,767,409 times
A couple in Tonawanda near the Dunlop plant. Tonawanda and Pendleton are pollution free compared to the cities of Buffalo, Lackawanna or Niagara Falls. I would be leary of property in most sections of those cities. I think the only clear areas in Buffalo are near Delaware Park anywhere else in the city and you are going to be near some sort of vacant former industrial site.

Old 12-12-2009, 11:16 AM

726 posts, read 2,147,179 times
Do you both already live in WNY? If not it might not be the best place to move to if she has bad asthma depending on where you're from. Places in the South like Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi are the worst but any region with high humidity levels tends to really give asthma sufferers a hard time. So if you're moving from there it might be better but if you're from an arid climate or mountainous region it would be much worse.

Old 12-13-2009, 02:13 PM

1,293 posts, read 4,997,040 times
The only spots that I have heard of is around the parks on River RD in NT. Gastown in Tonawanda has had some reports, but again no confirmed cases that would give alarm. Pendleton is mostly rural/suburban with alot of old farmland, so I really doubt there would be any problems there.

Old 12-13-2009, 06:50 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,810,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12buttons View Post
My mom is looking in that area and do I recall some gypsum mines around the area? Any landfills or large electric grid towers? She has serious asthma problems...isn't gypsum what they use to make asbestos?

thanks!

12buttons
Asbestos was put into gypsum to make fireproof products demanded by indudstry. Gypsum itself is not asbestos. Asbestos is added to it . national gypsum no longer mines here nor makes any product w/asbestos. Anyplace you see wallboard or shingles or any king of fireproofing pre 1979 can have asbestos, just usually encapsulated and safe ( like house shingles) The problems were w/workers making the product ( had family who worked in the plants)

If you mother were to move anywhere in a recent house, she could get Chinese wallboard ( gypsum w/out asbestos) which is more toxic and will corrode things.

Large electric grid towers run from the Falls all across the area. We have lines from NYSEG about half a mile away from the house. Not an issue. There are lots in Tonawanda - from the Falls, s. along Ellicott Creek and crossing the creek near parker. Don't know where they go farther south. You get them out in farm country like Alabama and Basom as well.

As to landfills, you have almost everything in the world in the county. Some are sites with dangerous chemicals. Most don't Someone suggested looking into the area of Delaware park. FWIW, the entire area of the Pan American Exposition ( in that area) tore down the place after it was over and used it as landfill; look up a map for the Pan American.

Old 12-14-2009, 02:57 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,868,622 times
This website should help you. It list every possible toxic site (including minor ones like leaking tanks from gas stations)
Toxics Targeting |

Old 12-15-2009, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by donbuy View Post
A couple in Tonawanda near the Dunlop plant. Tonawanda and Pendleton are pollution free compared to the cities of Buffalo, Lackawanna or Niagara Falls. I would be leary of property in most sections of those cities. I think the only clear areas in Buffalo are near Delaware Park anywhere else in the city and you are going to be near some sort of vacant former industrial site.

There is a superfund site under Soldiers Place

Old 12-15-2009, 04:22 AM

np wonder everybody
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloTransplant View Post
Asbestos was put into gypsum to make fireproof products demanded by indudstry. Gypsum itself is not asbestos. Asbestos is added to it . national gypsum no longer mines here nor makes any product w/asbestos. Anyplace you see wallboard or shingles or any king of fireproofing pre 1979 can have asbestos, just usually encapsulated and safe ( like house shingles) The problems were w/workers making the product ( had family who worked in the plants)

If you mother were to move anywhere in a recent house, she could get Chinese wallboard ( gypsum w/out asbestos) which is more toxic and will corrode things.

Large electric grid towers run from the Falls all across the area. We have lines from NYSEG about half a mile away from the house. Not an issue. There are lots in Tonawanda - from the Falls, s. along Ellicott Creek and crossing the creek near parker. Don't know where they go farther south. You get them out in farm country like Alabama and Basom as well.

As to landfills, you have almost everything in the world in the county. Some are sites with dangerous chemicals. Most don't Someone suggested looking into the area of Delaware park. FWIW, the entire area of the Pan American Exposition ( in that area) tore down the place after it was over and used it as landfill; look up a map for the Pan American.
no wonder it pays to be in healthcare in Buffalo - sins of the father yada yada -thanks for the info such as it is..actually I think they still mine for gypsum in the Clarence area - I recall a group of Indian doctors were shown properties in a really nice sub only to be told it was built over a gypsum mine - they hightailed it out of there like bats outta hell.

Old 12-15-2009, 09:02 AM

1,199 posts, read 2,868,622 times
The problem with Gypsum mines is not contamination but the risk that they could collapse. There is a very upscale subdivision in East Amherst that is built right over one. Not a place I would buy a home, the unstable soil in that area is bad enough.

As for there being no toxic waste dumps in Tonawanda I whole heartly disagree. There are lots of toxic waste sites in the River Road cooridor including some that contain radioactive materials. Areas east of Military Road throughout the vast majority of the Town are problem free.

Old 12-15-2009, 10:22 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,810,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12buttons View Post
np wonder everybody

no wonder it pays to be in healthcare in Buffalo - sins of the father yada yada -thanks for the info such as it is..actually I think they still mine for gypsum in the Clarence area - I recall a group of Indian doctors were shown properties in a really nice sub only to be told it was built over a gypsum mine - they hightailed it out of there like bats outta hell.
The mines are closed and the plant is nothing but scrap metal of what used to be there. I good portion of Clarence's nicest homes are out by those mines. there are also problems from springs underground -- my husband knew someone who built in Clarence and the basement was over a spring
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area