Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 02:12 PM

1 posts, read 3,188 times

Advertisements

My husband and I have lived in buffalo for almost 6 years, the first 4 we spent on linwood, which was a mixed experiences. we had our cars broken into 3 times during that time. Then moved to saint james and had our son who is 18 months now. Saint James place is lovely, but still had car broken into once and unfortunately experienced a home invasion So I am more than aware that even in nice areas in buffalo it's a reality of city living being at risk for these things more so the suburbs. We are not turned off enough that we want to move to the suburbs and want to purchase a home preferably in the city. I'm not 100% on what streets our nice in the rest of the elmwood village. Price range is variable I note on zillow. We're proabaly looking for 180-220k. Single or double. Ashland seems questionable. What about richmond? Seems slightly iffy but is it getting worse or better? How about streets between elmwood and richmond? Seems like between elmwood and delware and above west utica and forest is the best bet but pricier. Also quite interested in nice areas in north buffalo but have no ideas where these are! Also school district will be important I imagine.

Any help/input/argument for a neighborhood over another would be really appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 03:06 PM

93,584 posts, read 124,293,378 times
Maybe look in the North Park, North Delaware and Starin Central areas of North Buffalo. If you can find something in Parkside, that might be the best place to look.

Old 04-22-2010, 08:58 PM

205 posts, read 479,932 times
4 car break ins and a home invasion! I don't know if I am lucky or you are unlucky.

Old 04-23-2010, 12:25 PM

504 posts, read 1,494,911 times
I'm sorry to hear about the problems you've had with crime. As far as safety, I don't think I would say certain parts of Elmwood Village are nicer than others. Certainly some streets have grander homes, more well kept properties, but I believe crime is pretty consistent. Car break-ins are going to happen everywhere in the city. Best thing you can do is not leave anything in sight (even an empty bag, or a wire of some kind). That'll cut down on car break-ins some (4 times in 6 years seems unusually unlucky) but of course won't guarantee it won't happen. A couple years back, my sister had a car that was "easy" to break into, so several times a week she would come down to find her doors unlocked and her things rummaged through. And I've had my share of smashed in windows (less of a share than you, though!).

I'd have no qualms about buying on Ashland, Norwood or Richmond. But since you have a child that'll be starting school in a few years, I would consider school districts or the price of private schools before I thought about where to buy.

Old 04-23-2010, 02:04 PM

30 posts, read 82,930 times
St. Lawrence is a good street near the Starin end of it. Also, any of the streets that run off of St. Lawrence near Starin.

Old 04-23-2010, 08:57 PM

3,585 posts, read 3,088,595 times
Depends how much you want to pay, and what type of house. I like the area North of Amherst and South of Taunton between Colvin and Main Street. Nearly all have driveways and garages, which will keep your cars safer. Closer to Hertel you will get more drunken visitors passing thru, like on Elmwood, but there is a tremendous variety of housing types and sizes in this area. My favorite houses are in the area around Voorhees, Huntington and Woodbridge. The closer you get to Taunton and Colvin, the cheaper the houses get.

North of Taunton is not bad, but to me it is too suburban. West of Colvin (actually starting around Sterling) there are more doubles, and many good streets, but the lots are smaller and the majority of homes are not as interesting, but there are some really good looking blocks in that area also. A couple of my favorite houses are on Crestwood near Hertel.

Old 04-26-2010, 02:42 PM

69 posts, read 187,603 times
I have friends who recently purchased a double on Richmond. That street can go either way. They are across from the high school (name escapes me) and its telling that every day when school lets out, there are no less than two police patrol cars just outside the school. I've seen several arrests of students, most likely drugs, since the police are already aware something is up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leahpa07 View Post
My husband and I have lived in buffalo for almost 6 years, the first 4 we spent on linwood, which was a mixed experiences. we had our cars broken into 3 times during that time. Then moved to saint james and had our son who is 18 months now. Saint James place is lovely, but still had car broken into once and unfortunately experienced a home invasion So I am more than aware that even in nice areas in buffalo it's a reality of city living being at risk for these things more so the suburbs. We are not turned off enough that we want to move to the suburbs and want to purchase a home preferably in the city. I'm not 100% on what streets our nice in the rest of the elmwood village. Price range is variable I note on zillow. We're proabaly looking for 180-220k. Single or double. Ashland seems questionable. What about richmond? Seems slightly iffy but is it getting worse or better? How about streets between elmwood and richmond? Seems like between elmwood and delware and above west utica and forest is the best bet but pricier. Also quite interested in nice areas in north buffalo but have no ideas where these are! Also school district will be important I imagine.

Any help/input/argument for a neighborhood over another would be really appreciated!!

Old 04-26-2010, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnwebm View Post
I have friends who recently purchased a double on Richmond. That street can go either way. They are across from the high school (name escapes me) and its telling that every day when school lets out, there are no less than two police patrol cars just outside the school. I've seen several arrests of students, most likely drugs, since the police are already aware something is up.
Do you mean Lafayette High School? Or maybe Grover Cleveland? I've also seen kids causing trouble before and after school at Lafayette and Grover but neither of them is actually on Richmond, they're west of it. I would say Richmond is solid for its entire length. The west side (which is now defined as areas west of Richmond) is tougher to recommend for a young family concerned about safety issues.

I'd always think twice before living near a high school in the city. It's not exactly pleasant to see kids beating each other up after school every day, and that's what goes on at a lot of these schools. Richmond Ave stays quiet from my experience, though.

Old 04-26-2010, 04:14 PM

69 posts, read 187,603 times
Don't quote me, but I believe it's Lafayette, but one side of the school is definitely on Richmond, right across from their front door. The rest of Richmond is ok, but yes, the West Side seems to be declining rapidly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycrows View Post
Do you mean Lafayette High School? Or maybe Grover Cleveland? I've also seen kids causing trouble before and after school at Lafayette and Grover but neither of them is actually on Richmond, they're west of it. I would say Richmond is solid for its entire length. The west side (which is now defined as areas west of Richmond) is tougher to recommend for a young family concerned about safety issues.

I'd always think twice before living near a high school in the city. It's not exactly pleasant to see kids beating each other up after school every day, and that's what goes on at a lot of these schools. Richmond Ave stays quiet from my experience, though.

Old 04-26-2010, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnwebm View Post
Don't quote me, but I believe it's Lafayette, but one side of the school is definitely on Richmond, right across from their front door. The rest of Richmond is ok, but yes, the West Side seems to be declining rapidly.
Oh, on the contrary, I think the west side is actually on its way up. It's not as nice as it was when I was a kid, but it's definitely nicer than 5-10 years ago. If your friends actually did buy a two flat near Lafayette HS, I'd say they probably made a good investment (depending what they paid, of course) since I suspect there'll be even more speculation in real estate west of Richmond in the future. The recent commercial development on Grant St seems premature, but I think the residential investments west of Richmond we've seen in the last five years are the real thing. Richmond itself used to be considerably more grimy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Buffalo area