Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2012, 12:55 PM

2,173 posts, read 4,410,251 times

Advertisements

Which city would you prefer to live and why? I have a telecommuting job and can live in either. These are my 2 favorite New England small cities. I like the no state tax in NH. I think VT is overall a prettier state, but both are pretty. Portsmouth is closer to Boston, beaches, lakes in Maine, which is good. Burlington closer to mountains, Montreal, and is right on Lake Champlain. But Burlington is a little more "further out there" away from stuff.

Thoughts? Thanks your your input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2012, 01:06 PM

1,822 posts, read 5,133,363 times
I prefer the "feel" of Burlington to Portsmouth, and prefer Vermont to NH overall. But I could probably be happy either place.

I can't bear humidity. Portsmouth is more humid than Vermont, though Burlington near the lake is also more humid than other parts of Vermont.

As you noted, if you plan to go to Boston frequently, Portsmouth will be more convenient.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
Which city would you prefer to live and why? I have a telecommuting job and can live in either. These are my 2 favorite New England small cities. I like the no state tax in NH. I think VT is overall a prettier state, but both are pretty. Portsmouth is closer to Boston, beaches, lakes in Maine, which is good. Burlington closer to mountains, Montreal, and is right on Lake Champlain. But Burlington is a little more "further out there" away from stuff.

Thoughts? Thanks your your input!

Old 05-30-2012, 09:58 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,495,346 times
Since you posted this in the VT forum, plan on getting Burlington is the better place responses. Since im from NH, i will say portsmouth is a better place. Purely based on location. like you said, close to Boston, close to the ocean, close to Maine, still fairly close to the mountains and close to the lakes region of NH.

If you like taxes and lean to the far left then i would say Burlington is the place for you, Portsmouth is a left leaning city, but it still is in NH after all. good luck, i wish i tele commuted!

Old 05-30-2012, 11:05 AM

3,459 posts, read 10,269,613 times
Portsmouth feels more cosmopolitan to me than Burlington. Burlington feels like a much more outdoorsy crowd.
You really can't go wrong with either. Guess it comes down to whether you want to be on the ocean and near Boston or on a lake and near Montreal. Burlington is also much closer to mountains than Portsmouth.

Old 05-30-2012, 11:56 AM

2,173 posts, read 4,410,251 times
Thanks all a lot of good responses. I did stay in Burlington for 5 weeks in 2010 so I have a good feel for that. I guess my best bet is to do a short term rental in the Portsmouth area for a month or so to compare. Just hard to know until you try. I think I'm probably leaning towards Portsmouth b/c it's closer to more and the no state tax. Although I think the Burlington area has prettier scenery and there's just something unique and special about those Green Mountains, and the scenic VT country roads

Old 05-30-2012, 12:47 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,173,884 times
I adore both towns. Although Burlington enjoys a more beautiful location, Portsmouth wins by a hair for me because it receives considerably more sunshine year-round than Burlington. I don't know how important that is to you, but it makes a difference for me. I also love the architecture in Portsmouth.

I do have to take point with Portsmouth being called more "cosmopolitan" than Burlington, though. I think they are probably at least equal in this area, and might actually give the edge to Burlington. The closest major city being in a foreign country certainly helps, too.

Last edited by Verseau; 05-30-2012 at 01:22 PM..

Old 05-30-2012, 02:49 PM

3,459 posts, read 10,269,613 times
Verseau-funny how people have different perspective on things! Burlington just seems more "hippy-outdoorsy" to me and Portsmouth more "yuppy-upscale"-and I mean that in a good way. Love Portsmouth. We're actually planning on heading there for a night or 2 in July.
Like I said early, you really can't go wrong on either. If I had to move to NH for whatever reason Portsmouth would be #1 on my list!

Old 05-30-2012, 02:57 PM

2,257 posts, read 8,173,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vter View Post
Verseau-funny how people have different perspective on things! Burlington just seems more "hippy-outdoorsy" to me and Portsmouth more "yuppy-upscale"-and I mean that in a good way.
Oh, I agree 100%. I also think that both types of people like to call themselves "cosmopolitan"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
View detailed profiles of: