Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 02:10 PM

1,475 posts, read 4,148,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohanna View Post
Looks like it's half that price there.
if it is, it's a dump

and the low salaries make it much harder

i really can't stress enough about the terrible condition of the apartments. i've lived a lot of places and have never seen anything like this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 06:37 PM

3 posts, read 2,537 times
My daughter also graduated from UVM, in '10 with a B.A. (Theatre). She's been working 2 part-time jobs just to afford their (yeah, crummy) micro-apt, but she does like the fact that a car isn't necessary for life in B-town. She and her boyfriend are moving out to Seattle in mid-May since they feel they'll have a better shot at 'making it', more opportunity overall while he goes for his master's.
Maybe Seattle might be worth considering for you as well, since from what my daughter's raved about, it would seem to have almost all of what you're searching for in a location.
Now I've just got to figure out how to deal with never seeing her again!
(vtallison, how are you doing it with your daughter so far away in S.KOREA, yikes!?? and yes, I hear ya about the taxes in this state too!)

Old 04-08-2013, 07:58 PM

2 posts, read 3,482 times
Burlington is definitely a YOUNG town. There are 4 schools in the area. There's UVM, Champlain College, Burlington College, and St. Mike's (which is technically in Colchester, but the kids party in Burlington). People tend to look at you strangely if you're over 30. If you're in Burlington and you're over 30, you're basically one of the following...

-Professor @ UVM
-Fletcher Allen Staff
-Tourist
-A Bum

The Good:

-There are lovely shops are church st, many of which are one-off boutiques. It's kinda the touristy part of the city, but it is very well kept. The waterfront is also pretty breathtaking, too.

-You can get to pretty much anywhere in the city by walking. If walking isn't your cup of tea, there is a very well set up bus system CCTA - Chittenden County Transportation Authority that will get you anywhere you need to go. There are also many, many bikes around here, so watch for 'em in traffic.

-People are incredibly open-minded.

-There is nothing better than Vermont beer. No way, no how.

The Bad:

-Rent is wicked expensive, mostly due to the damn college kids.

-The homeless problem is out of control as the city prefers to give the bums handouts instead of hands up to employment. Bums rolling down the street at 8am with a cart full of bottles and cans is referred to as the 'Burlington Alarm Clock'.

-The drug problem in the NNE (New North End) is pretty bad. Take a drive down North St. at any given time and you'll see a deal going down.

-Make no mistake about it...Burlington is *NOT* Vermont. Pretty much everyone in this town is from somewhere else. If you're looking for a real Vermonter, you'll have to go about 1/2 hour outside of Burlington, as the Flatlanders have taken it over.

Old 04-09-2013, 10:04 AM

2 posts, read 3,482 times
CORRECTION: I had indicated that the drug problem is in the New North End when I meant to say the Old North End (ONE)

Old 04-09-2013, 11:43 PM

487 posts, read 898,115 times
wow sounds terrible. i am fully convinced not to move there.

Old 04-17-2013, 04:56 AM

5,558 posts, read 3,972,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djohanna View Post
wow sounds terrible. i am fully convinced not to move there.
Lol, Burlington's pretty cool. Not sure I'd want to live there, but it's definitely worth a visit. I'm going to head there sometime this summer; had a fun time the last time I was there, in 2010. Definitely a more appealing place than it's been made out to be in this thread

Old 04-17-2013, 10:20 AM

1,792 posts, read 4,668,598 times
Burlington is a nice small city. I wouldn't say it's better than about 10 years ago, but most people would be safe. You just need to know the areas to avoid. People don't have worries of being shot or stabbed, it's the petty crimes that go with drug addiction like robbery and theft. There is a growing drug problem and it's not just pot. The crystal meth and heroin problem is getting out of control. This is a reason why they have to open another methadone clinic in South Burlington.

Old 04-17-2013, 06:05 PM

177 posts, read 408,830 times
Go to Portland, ME. Ask this question in the Maine forum...

Old 05-08-2013, 04:16 AM

81 posts, read 106,712 times
Here are some plus's for you.

1.)VT is arguably the Bluest state in our great nation, individuals head to the polls prepared to check the first ballot name with a (D) beside it, regardless of whether they know that individual or his take on the issues.

2.)2nd Lowest crime rate for a 'Big City' in the nation(all categories), and if Wyoming wasn't such a large state i would say VT would have ranked 1st. This is 2012 national statistics.

3.)Religion and a fervently religious individual is far and few in between.

Some truths for you that may shatter perception.

1.) In 2012 we had four days that reached 100degrees, and another 6 or so in the 94-98 range. Mid to late June expect high eighties everyday(bad humidity).

2.)For such a 'Progressive' state, VT never changes and in our next 15 yrs. it will only go downhill(just Burlington).

Good day to you and God bless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT