Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-07-2016, 07:14 PM

26 posts, read 51,727 times

Advertisements

Hi all-

I've been lurking here for a while, browsing the forums and whatnot. Forgive me if this subject has been covered - I searched around a bit but didn't quite find the answer I was looking for.

I have a career move opportunity to work in Burlington VT. My only holdback is the (from what I can tell) crazy high cost of living. I'm relatively young and currently reside in the Midwest. Prior to this job, I traveled the country (and world) so I'm familiar with many different areas - but VT was never somewhere I ended up for any amount of time.

The Burlington area seems to be an expensive area to live - apartment rent sores into the 2000 range fast and a single family home seems to be well above the national average for price per square foot and property.

However - there are also many desirable aspects to Burlington that I've noticed.

My main question is - are there other suburbs or metro areas of Burlington that are more affordable and do not sacrifice the quality of structure and life (no major increase in crime, etc)? Ideally - I'd be looking for a single family home around the 200k price point - built in the last 30 years. Just curious if anyone has any compelling reasons before I make a decision!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2016, 02:22 AM

1,752 posts, read 3,755,512 times
Vermont is very expensive.

Old 08-08-2016, 01:13 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
Having lived in the Midwest, I can tell you a place like Madison WI, which is culturally similar to Burlington VT (where I've also lived) is far less expensive than Burlington without a big difference in wages.

Burlington is just expensive, no way to get around that. I've tried to move back a few times from both the Midwest and Boston area and the salaries vs cost of living ratio just has made it impossible.

Old 08-09-2016, 09:45 AM

23,602 posts, read 70,446,439 times
"My main question is - are there other suburbs or metro areas of Burlington that are more affordable and do not sacrifice the quality of structure and life (no major increase in crime, etc)? Ideally - I'd be looking for a single family home around the 200k price point - built in the last 30 years. Just curious if anyone has any compelling reasons before I make a decision!"

Skip the idea of a house for at least a year, to see if the area works for you in general. Just slice anything south of the old K-Mart shopping center off your list for "affordable." Likewise for anything on the hill. If you can find a rent in Ft. Ethan Allen or Lakeside, those can be convenient and fairly quiet. Both are older buildings though.

To live in Vermont, you have to compromise unless you have more money than sense.

Old 08-09-2016, 01:18 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,275,306 times
By left coast/right coast standards, Vermont is not a wildly high cost of living area. Nationally, it's exactly average because housing prices are quite moderate. Here is the Department of Commerce data on it and a state-by-state comparison graphic:

BEA: News Release: Real Personal Income for States and Metropolitan Areas, 2014

Burlington has expensive rental housing stock by Vermont standards because you're competing with all the college students for a limited number of units. Energy costs are high. The overall tax burden is fairly high. It all looks dirt cheap when you compare it to a true high cost area like the Bay Area, Southern California, Seattle, NYC tri-state, metro-DC, or metro-Boston.

Old 08-09-2016, 01:38 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,981,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Burlington has expensive rental housing stock by Vermont standards because you're competing with all the college students for a limited number of units. Energy costs are high. The overall tax burden is fairly high. It all looks dirt cheap when you compare it to a true high cost area like the Bay Area, Southern California, Seattle, NYC tri-state, metro-DC, or metro-Boston.
Cost of living is only helpful when comparing it to salaries. This is where VT has it hard. Rents/real estate are fairly high, and wages very low.

Old 08-10-2016, 04:04 AM

4 posts, read 5,136 times
Cost of living is only helpful when comparing it to salaries.

Old 08-15-2016, 12:54 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,866,474 times
200k - depends on the requirements of the home but i'm sure you can find something for 200k within 45 min drive of burlington. under 30 years old - maybe, maybe not.

Old 08-18-2016, 06:14 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,275,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Cost of living is only helpful when comparing it to salaries. This is where VT has it hard. Rents/real estate are fairly high, and wages very low.
A prof at UVM or a nurse at Mary Fletcher or the engineer at the GlobalFoundries plant in Essex Junction make pretty much the same as anywhere. The Vermont median household income is a bit more than the national average. What are you comparing it to? New York City and Boston where a single family home in a non-failing school system suburban town is $750K?

If you don't have 21st century job skills and you're working a service sector job, the pay is lousy anywhere. It pays more in the high cost of living regions but it gets eaten up by rents that blow away anything Vermont sees. Chittenden County rental housing is expensive because affluent out-of-state college students can out-pay local service sector people for the rental housing stock. That is certainly not true anywhere else in the state other than the resort towns which also have out-of-state money that can out-pay what the locals can afford. Vermont is average in pretty much everything except for the very progressive tax burden. If you're at the median, you escape the high state income tax brackets and the nasty Act 68 state school property tax is means tested so your tax burden is average by regional standards (but not New Hampshire, of course). If you're a physician or a tenured prof at UVM or an engineer at GlobalFoundries, you're getting crushed in all directions on your taxes. You're paying 100% of that Act 68 school tax on your house. You're in a high state income tax bracket. Plus you're paying the hefty sales tax and high energy costs everyone in Vermont pays.

So regionally, Vermont is a lower cost state with a bit lower median income. Nationally, it's pretty much average. The people here are making the mistake of comparing income to massively high cost of living places but not considering what the housing costs look like in those places.

Old 10-10-2016, 12:10 PM

8 posts, read 18,022 times
As a rule, Chittenden County costs way more to live in than the rest of the state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont > Burlington, VT