Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 07:14 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,531,299 times

Advertisements

This is a major pet peeve of mine. I google a business, say a restaurant, music venue, to get information and when I get to the website it is a blank page instructing me to view them on FACEBOOK or Twitter. I don't subscribe to social networks, never have, never will. But to view a menu, make a reservation or obtain other information, many businesses are only offering information on a social network. Why? If I can't access the information online from the businesses own website, I chose another business. I refuse to join facebook or some other social network simply to have access to information that should be readily available online.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 08:39 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,154,196 times
It's "Business 2.0". Low cost way to reach the masses. Studies show that facebook and twitter users are among the higher earning class, thus making it a win/win situation.

Old 12-02-2010, 09:35 AM

673 posts, read 2,717,611 times
Facebook and Twitter are just different ways to communicate online. More specifically, they allow 2 way communication in real-time. They are not suited for conveying large amounts of information. Web 2.0 technologies may or may not be suited for your business. Ex. Do you have dynamic topics? Will your visitors engage you? Do you have time to respond? Will you or your visitors benefit from public online communication?

Old 12-02-2010, 09:55 AM

1,236 posts, read 3,919,101 times
If the company doesn't have a business website. I wouldn't do business with them. But thats me.

It will be a cold day in hell before I have to register on facebook or twitter to view the businesses detail.

Old 12-02-2010, 05:57 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,625,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
It's "Business 2.0". Low cost way to reach the masses. Studies show that facebook and twitter users are among the higher earning class, thus making it a win/win situation.
interesting.... it's been my experience that their demographic skews toward those under 30... ppl who've been hit particularly hard during the current recession. None of the professionals I personally know use FB or twitter for their jobs and check it only sporadically during the week.

I think the main reason businesses use FB instead of stand-alone websites is that their un-tech savvy proprietors are better able to update info with a few taps from their smartphones, instead of logging on to a laptop & dealing with HTML code.

Old 12-02-2010, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
interesting.... it's been my experience that their demographic skews toward those under 30... ppl who've been hit particularly hard during the current recession. None of the professionals I personally know use FB or twitter for their jobs and check it only sporadically during the week.

I think the main reason businesses use FB instead of stand-alone websites is that their un-tech savvy proprietors are better able to update info with a few taps from their smartphones, instead of logging on to a laptop & dealing with HTML code.
Creating/updating a website no longer requires the knowledge of html. Although all my clients have stand-alone sites (being fortune 500 companies), there has been a strong push to advertise to the high-income gadget loaded yuppies on their iphones and blackberries. Facebook and twitter are the most popular avenues to do so. Usually through the use of games, jokes and promotions.

Old 12-02-2010, 11:58 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,869,787 times
They're just lazy. Probably don't know how to set up a complex website and probably don't want to hire someone to do it for them.

Old 12-03-2010, 08:00 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,528,026 times
I generally don't go out of my way to go to a restaurant without a menu online and a website.

If I'm going out of my way to go there I'd like to see a menu, pricing and maybe a few pics online.

As for why they don't I think its just they aren't tech saavy or are too cheap to put up a website. Twitter & Myspace give them a web presence, doesn't cost anything and doesn't take any special skills, html, money to put it up. It also allows quite a bit of customization and allows you to frequently update info.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:14 PM

Some businesses warrant a website while others it doesn't really matter. Restaurants don't require websites as much as other businesses. I don't really pick restaurants based on what's available on their website.

I primarily choose restaurants by recommendations. Otherwise by convenience or whatever coupons they have available. But that's just me.

Old 12-03-2010, 11:11 PM

1,096 posts, read 4,528,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Some businesses warrant a website while others it doesn't really matter. Restaurants don't require websites as much as other businesses. I don't really pick restaurants based on what's available on their website.

I primarily choose restaurants by recommendations. Otherwise by convenience or whatever coupons they have available. But that's just me.
I agree to a point, many of my fav restaurants are little mom and pop places that don't have websites.

Just seems like everyone has websites these days, its very low cost to just put up a simple website with your menu, a pic of your place, maybe a review or newspaper write up.

If its a place down the st website isnt a big deal but if its a place I heard of and is a drive, I'd like to see a website before I make the drive. Also, as far as takeout goes, if you dont have a menu online I'm not ordering.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business