Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2012, 11:58 AM

1,503 posts, read 1,856,822 times

Advertisements

I was the executor of my very troubled cousin's estate in 2010. We thought we had found all her property and sold and/or distributed as per her wishes in her will.

However, we always assumed she had some valuables that we never were able to locate (some family heirloom jewelry mostly, worth per family estimates at about $15,000). She was a bit of a recluse, had some mental health problems (she committed suicide at 38 years old), drug use problems, and also had a hoarding problem. So we figured, well, she must have lost it, sold it, etc. to pay for her latest fix

Fast forward to last week...we moved to Ohio recently, and I was unpacking the last few boxes of paperwork, some of which was my cousin's documents that I still retained from her estate. While organizing and going through some of her papers, we found a rental agreement for a self-storage unit back in California (where she lived, and I lived until a few months ago) that she had rented in 2007, buried. We never saw it before, probably because it was stapled on behind the last page of her condo association agreement and we never thought to look in there.

I made a couple calls, and found that this unit was siezed due to non-payment in April, 2010, a month after she died. The rental agreement clearly states they have a right to do this, so I assume we're dead in the water, right?

Does her estate (which still exists as a legal entity) have any rights to the value of the items that the storage facility auctioned off? The family was never aware of the existence of this unit until now. I'm guessing no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 12:20 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrueRulz View Post
...so I assume we're dead in the water, right?

Yuuup! Dave Hester - Storage Wars - YouTube

Old 09-18-2012, 07:26 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Yep. Otherwise, every Self-Storage place on the planet would be filled with the stuff of people who didn't pay their bills. I realize that your cousin was not a deadbeat, but lots of people who use those things and don't pay their bills are.

Old 09-19-2012, 11:04 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,785,719 times
Consult with an attorney. Preferrably one handling the estate. I am guessing it depends on locale, but some storage lien sales have to be publicly posted like the legal section of a newpaper or other place with public access.

Old 09-19-2012, 12:36 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,705,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrueRulz View Post
The rental agreement clearly states they have a right to do this, so I assume we're dead in the water, right?
looks like you answered your own question. her property now belongs to dave hester.

Old 09-23-2012, 09:50 AM

1,667 posts, read 9,383,205 times
Not only did you loose it, you could be charged for back-rent. The storage property owners probably have an air-tight contract discussing what happens with non-payment. You're involved with an unfortunate chain of events and I hope you're doing OK.

Old 09-23-2012, 06:45 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,501,704 times
Self-storage rivals the reputation of used car salespeople. It's sad. There should be some more notice involved in seizures (IMO).

Very sorry about your circumstance.

Old 09-23-2012, 07:48 PM

3,515 posts, read 7,784,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelva View Post
Self-storage rivals the reputation of used car salespeople. It's sad. There should be some more notice involved in seizures (IMO).

Very sorry about your circumstance.
More notice? You have to be 90 overdue, before they publicly list your name in the paper that they are going to auction off your belonging. Then you could still pay as late as 1 minute before the auction to retain your belongings. There have been storage unit auctions, where after the unit was auctioned, the winner goes to the office to pay for the unit they won, only to find out the owner paid in full sometime between when the auction started to when there unit was auctioned off. The auction winner bid is ruled invalid and the original owner gets to keep there stuff.

Believe me there more than enough notice to inform people there stuff is getting auctioned off. It's the stick your head in the sand mentality these people have. The same kind people have when they ignore eviction notices and are surprised the day the sheriff shows up at the door to throw them out.

Old 09-25-2012, 11:17 AM

2,420 posts, read 3,850,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Dave Hester is such an arrogant jerk. I bet he got bullied when he was young and now that he has a little bit of money its his way of payback. Total jerk. Sore loser and sore winner.

-Cheers.

Old 12-05-2013, 08:06 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,656,809 times
The law on storage units and disposal of property can vary tremendously from state to state. You never know if this particular storage sale was conducted in conformity with the requirements of the law without looking into it, but I suspect the people who run those things know how to do it right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business