Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which broadband type do you recommend for a SOHO and why?
DSL 1 33.33%
Fractional/T1 0 0%
Business DSL with residential broadband via multiport router. 2 66.67%
Other: Please explain 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 10:37 AM

783 posts, read 2,587,550 times

Advertisements

I am seriously looking into running a SOHO from my home to save some money on office space.

I have a spare room but would love to rum a small website from an xserve which I have already purchased. The idea of collocating my server is interesting but I want to wait for the business to pick up first. I would rather share the business broadband with the other personal stations to save some pennies/month than collocating. I understand I would be paying for dedicated bandwidth--you're right as if there is anyone to reliably verifying it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2007, 06:07 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by npumcrisz View Post
I am seriously looking into running a SOHO from my home to save some money on office space.

I have a spare room but would love to rum a small website from an xserve which I have already purchased. The idea of collocating my server is interesting but I want to wait for the business to pick up first. I would rather share the business broadband with the other personal stations to save some pennies/month than collocating. I understand I would be paying for dedicated bandwidth--you're right as if there is anyone to reliably verifying it.
I run a home based business, use DSL. One thing to consider, webserver space is cheap, you can get a web host for $10 a month, so outsourcing this, might be worth the $10 a month, vs the work needed to setup your own server. I host my own webservers, but there are various sites involved.

Old 10-19-2007, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I run a home based business, use DSL. One thing to consider, webserver space is cheap, you can get a web host for $10 a month, so outsourcing this, might be worth the $10 a month, vs the work needed to setup your own server. I host my own webservers, but there are various sites involved.
How do you host a server(s) behind only one DSL line; don't you need at least 2 static addresses to register a domain name?

Old 10-19-2007, 08:10 PM

Quote:
How do you host a server(s) behind only one DSL line; don't you need at least 2 static addresses to register a domain name?
I run 12 servers behind 1 static IP address.. I also have several dozen websites, (some I host for myself, some for others) all registered under that 1 single IP address.

You would need a router to seperate them all. Externally you have one ip.. but behind the router, you can have I think 254 internal ip's. If you get more pc's or networks then your router will handle, then you would need a hub, or a switch..

If your just starting out, register a domain name and spend $5-$10 a month outsourcing the website hosting.. Once you start to make money, then consider hosting it on your own.

It took me a little to figure it all out, now that I did.. Its all pretty clear..

Old 10-24-2007, 07:52 AM

Which DSL provider are you using...COVAD?

Old 10-24-2007, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Which DSL provider are you using...COVAD?
Nauticom.net

Old 10-25-2007, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Nauticom.net
I check it out. You guys have it good. We are been charged an arm and a leg at NYC for mediocre services.

PS
I still can't believe you are hosting multiple servers behind only one static address. There only way I see it is if you are out-sourcing you domain name hosting or utilizing a DDNS provider. In other to self host, domain name registrars require 2 different static addresses.

Old 10-25-2007, 12:53 AM

Quote:
I check it out. You guys have it good. We are been charged an arm and a leg at NYC for mediocre services.

PS
I still can't believe you are hosting multiple servers behind only one static address. There only way I see it is if you are out-sourcing you domain name hosting or utilizing a DDNS provider. In other to self host, domain name registrars require 2 different static addresses.
Nope.. only required one static IP address to host domain names using a windows server.. (one benefit to using windows over linux)..

I use godaddy to register most of my domains, they control everything. I just have to give godaddy my ip address for all of my websites and wham.. they are live..

I can put hundreds, even thousands of websites all on one single IP address..

Old 10-25-2007, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Nope.. only required one static IP address to host domain names using a windows server.. (one benefit to using windows over linux)..

I use godaddy to register most of my domains, they control everything. I just have to give godaddy my ip address for all of my websites and wham.. they are live..

I can put hundreds, even thousands of websites all on one single IP address..
Okay, if you say so.

PS I checked out godaddy, how are they compared to others.

Old 10-25-2007, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Okay, if you say so.

PS I checked out godaddy, how are they compared to others.
When it comes down to domain registration, they are all pretty much the same. I've used small ones who people have never heard of, and the larger ones.

Only thing I dont like about godaddy is when I want to make a change, I usually have to call them because navigating their website is tough.. You can tell that they put a lot of effort into making it easy.. but its nearly impossible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business