Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2011, 03:57 PM

117 posts, read 255,368 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I have a cleaning business and am thinking of hiring an answering service to answer my calls.

Who are you using?

I'd appreciate your recommendations on opinions on service levels, pricing, etc...

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 04:09 PM

7,214 posts, read 9,390,397 times
Unless it's a very large cleaning service, I don't see why you would need one. Just seems like an unnecessary expense. If you don't want calls going to your personal phone, you could buy a prepaid cell phone or something like that.

Just an idea.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:40 PM

117 posts, read 255,368 times
You don't need to be "large" to need an answering service. With that being said, I've got some advertising out thats netting alot of calls and ENDLESS leads, so I would like a live person to answer rather than voicemail. I am starting to outsource some aspects of my business and focusing on the "sales" side/bringing in the business.

After working in real estate for many years, I've found that folks will many times call someone else if they're not able to get someone directly, even if it is just to leave a message.

Personal service still goes along way, even in this age of technology. That's how I differentiate myself from the competition in whatever I do.

Thanks for your thoughts though!

Old 05-02-2012, 09:13 AM

8,048 posts, read 12,761,708 times
I would think that an answering service would be a good move. As was mentioned, an unanswered phone will turn customers off. It might be a good short term solution while you lack staff to answer phones.

I remember a while back trying to get a quote on a fence. I called five businesses and NONE of them ever answered the phone. Worse, the ones that had an answering machine never called back. I ended up doing it myself but had ONE of the companies had a way to contact them I might have hired them.

As the business grows you might be able to hire office help for accounting/HR and answering the phone. Right now I think one of the most important things you can do is HAVE SOMEONE ANSWER YOUR PHONE!

Old 05-03-2012, 03:34 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,758,001 times
Or do like me and have my business phone forwarded into my cell phone. It will be answered by me or call returned shortly afterwords. It takes an extra step out of chain that customers will value.

I don't care to deal with answering services when I call. Granted it is better than an unanswered phone or leaving a message.

Old 12-16-2012, 04:40 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,719,480 times
You might try Onebox® Virtual PBX | Call Routing | Voicemail To Email | Online Fax| Toll Free

You might not be able to afford a full service answering service but if you are after a more professional image look at Onebox.com does not have someone answering for you but gives you a professional image. You pay a professional to do the voice recording. There are lots of other options you might find helpful.

Old 12-17-2012, 06:16 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,200,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
Or do like me and have my business phone forwarded into my cell phone. It will be answered by me or call returned shortly afterwords. It takes an extra step out of chain that customers will value.

I don't care to deal with answering services when I call. Granted it is better than an unanswered phone or leaving a message.
BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GREAT POST!!! why allow someone at a service-you dont even know be the image of you and your company?????

with the owner returning phone calls, you can answer the questions...

if I were inquiring about a cleaning service....id want to talk to the owner,,,to have a service, would tell me they charge too much to be able to afford an answering service

Old 12-18-2012, 07:19 AM

673 posts, read 2,716,390 times
When prompted to leave a message, I'm surprised at how many times my call is never returned. I speak clearly and leave my number twice. Now I don't bother.

A human response is normally better than voice mail. However, here are some cautions on using an answering service based on our experience:

1. Do your research on answering services.
2. Constantly check on the level of service (ask customers; call yourself) because #1 doesn't guarantee good service.
3. Return calls the same day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business