Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2013, 12:35 AM

2 posts, read 3,818 times

Advertisements

Hello CD,

I would like advice for my career. First I will tell you about myself. I just graduated with a finance degree. 2.70 GPA about 2.95 in major. I have a job in the mortgage industry that pays $40,000 right now, but I do not see much growth potential with this job. I am interested in analysts jobs, as I enjoy doing work in excel, finding trends, and making predictions. I expect I won't qualify for a better job, that pays $60k starting until I've at least put in 2 solid years of work due to my low GPA. I would like to be in financial service/banking, but I don't want to do sales.

Based on this information, what jobs do you think I can shoot for in a couple years? In the San Francisco area btw.

Thank you in advance for your advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2013, 12:55 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,964,842 times
Most businesses don't care about your GPA. Your GPA matters when you are applying for internships or grad school. Most businesses only want to see your work experience, internships, major, and university. You can try to get hired as a personal banker at a major bank and work your way up from there. Most financial services jobs will be sales related, at least in the beginning of your career.

Old 05-12-2013, 08:33 AM

21,738 posts, read 16,356,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGrad13 View Post
I enjoy ______ making predictions.
Then you have certainly come to the right place for advice. Most everybody posting on this board is all about making predictions.

Good luck in your search. (And making sense of what you will read here)

Old 05-12-2013, 09:21 AM

919 posts, read 1,782,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGrad13 View Post
Hello CD,

I would like advice for my career. First I will tell you about myself. I just graduated with a finance degree. 2.70 GPA about 2.95 in major. I have a job in the mortgage industry that pays $40,000 right now, but I do not see much growth potential with this job. I am interested in analysts jobs, as I enjoy doing work in excel, finding trends, and making predictions. I expect I won't qualify for a better job, that pays $60k starting until I've at least put in 2 solid years of work due to my low GPA. I would like to be in financial service/banking, but I don't want to do sales.

Based on this information, what jobs do you think I can shoot for in a couple years? In the San Francisco area btw.

Thank you in advance for your advice!
Go to the career center at your university, find out who is actively recruiting and who is not. Next, go to the US Department of Commerce and find the Bureau of Labor Statistics, look up what they predict will be the jobs going forward. Just a heads up, most won't need a college degree. Then go and find current jobs created, a list also created by the BLS. That will tell you what jobs are currently available. Heads up, most don't need a college degree also.

If you want to be an analyst, the most important factor is finding out source data. For jobs, that's mostly the provence of the BLS. Next would be industry journals, some of which post job solicitations. I wouldn't take those at face value, many times employers will post phony job openings, in order to give the impression that no Americans qualify for the position, and therefore, they'll need to go overseas, in order to find someone who will work for a lot less.

CD is not source data. You probably will be wasting your time asking for anyone to predict what's going to happen or for job career prospects. Best advice, be damn happy that you have a job in the finance industry that pays you any salary, forget about coming to a part of the country that is the most expensive in the nation, that is saturated with MBA's/CPA's/quants, and just do the best you can. The finance industry is downsizing, that includes RE financing. Stick with what's you gots, forget the rest...

Old 05-12-2013, 11:44 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Op might do better posting his question in the Business forum.

Old 05-12-2013, 11:46 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Then you have certainly come to the right place for advice. Most everybody posting on this board is all about making predictions.

Good luck in your search. (And making sense of what you will read here)
and we love to give advise, we are usually not right, but we still continue to give it, right? Now Op, what made you decide to post this on the California thread. Do you think we have more knowledge about the future and your future here than on another forum.

Old 05-12-2013, 01:23 PM

2 posts, read 3,818 times
Thank you all for your advice! I am definitely not giving up my current job unless I get a better one lined up. As for being a personal banker, I think that would kind of be a demotion from my current position and I don't want to work up in another company just to get to where I am now.

I apologize for not posting in the business section, this was my first post! Still getting used to this site, but I stumbled across this forum and wanted to join in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business