Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 08:30 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,484,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
You need to find out what you enjoy doing that provides a product or service that others will pay for, then get a mentor to help you plan your business goals. There are plenty of opportunities for that. Find a friend or family member that knows a successful entrepreneur, find one at The U.S. Small Business Administration | SBA.gov or
Free Small Business Advice | How-to Resources | Tools | Templates | SCOREmentors
Score looked really good, I wish I would have looked into it more years back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2014, 11:57 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,556,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmb501 View Post
I'm obsessed with being successful, but that does include making money.
Then you need to *get to work* because we have already offered you many options for someone with your training. Have you started doing online training yet? Have you posted your courses online yet? Have you started marketing what you offer yet?

???

Old 05-09-2014, 01:53 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
The nice thing now is there is a 'solution' or platform for pretty much everything.
And with the internet new markets have opened up where you can target niche areas.
All types of people or businesses have problems or issues they need solved.

A lot of the best business ideas are actually pretty simple, and make you wonder "how come nobody thought of that before"
Oftentimes someone did think of it before, but the idea was a little different.

For example AIRBNB, we know people were renting out their places to strangers long before it, but they made it easy to do this.
UBER is another example, people were taking taxis forever , but their utilized GPS technology and smartphone technology to do it better and more efficiently.

These are considered disruptive business..because they disrupt the status quo.

Here are some resources for creating online courses

Pathwright: everything you need to create your own online school.

https://ruzuku.com/

Old 05-09-2014, 06:24 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,581,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_CD View Post
Then you need to *get to work* because we have already offered you many options for someone with your training. Have you started doing online training yet? Have you posted your courses online yet? Have you started marketing what you offer yet?

???
I don't know a lot about advertising this day and age, and I think people are reluctant to buy things off of the internet, especially if they don't recognize the seller as reputable. How do I set up an online system? How do I advertise? How do I compete with the multitude of skilled online tutors already rendering services?

Old 05-09-2014, 07:22 PM

Quote:
How do I set up an online system?

How do I advertise?

How do I compete with the multitude of skilled online tutors already rendering services?
There are web systems already set up for offering training courses. Do a search!

You advertise by getting online at websites where your target market hangs out and you talk with them.

You need to get some courses put together and uploaded first. Then come back and we'll try to help you understand how to compete.

Old 05-09-2014, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_CD View Post
There are web systems already set up for offering training courses. Do a search!

You advertise by getting online at websites where your target market hangs out and you talk with them.

You need to get some courses put together and uploaded first. Then come back and we'll try to help you understand how to compete.
Okay, I think I'll try to brainstorm and come up with a list of ideas. I think it would be easier if I had programming knowledge or knew of a program that could handle most of the teaching part for me. I guess I could just post narrated Power Points or video lectures, but those seem dated. I think I'll continue to brainstorm, though, and see what I come up with.

Old 05-10-2014, 09:57 AM

Quote:
I think it would be easier if I had programming knowledge or knew of a program that could handle most of the teaching part for me. I guess I could just post narrated Power Points or video lectures, but those seem dated.
You don't need to know anything at all about programming.

Find websites that provide education platforms and see what formats they want you to use.

I think you've done enough brainstorming! It's time you did some work.

Old 05-10-2014, 04:03 PM

I've met some of the teachers who would probably be my competition, and I can't keep up with them. To be honest, I don't feel qualified to be a tutor. I know I have a degree, but so what? Too many people have degrees these days and still aren't qualified to do the job. I wish I felt like I knew something. Right now, though, I really don't feel qualified. I didn't graduate from a top tier university; I didn't major in a STEM field. I haven't been working as a teacher; I've only been subbing. Really, I doubt my ability to actually teach. Yes, I have tutored people, but it's really work the students could do on their own. I don't feel like I provide anything special. I've tried and failed. Plus, people just don't have confidence in me. I don't come off as a professional. I'm just a depressed graduate student who is probably not really worth very much in modern society anyway.

Old 05-10-2014, 04:11 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,737,395 times
I agree with the above. In whatever field you are in, you should show up, dress up, and WORK to be your best. Try to advance. If you are eager to be financially successful work outside of your normal job to try to make more, but be realistic with what you do. Find your talents and use them to your ability. Everyone wants to make more money, but sometimes sacrifices are not worth it. Good luck

Old 05-10-2014, 11:28 PM

638 posts, read 2,244,369 times
To the OP, I know you are shy, but have you ever considered sales?

I followed in my fathers footsteps and went into sales. He's had a great career. Keep in mind this guy is not a people person at all! I have a freaking theatre degree, certainly a step below an education degree, and I wanted to become a designer. When the reality hit home that I was not going to make much money doing that, I got a job with theatrical goods company and worked up the ladder. I learned the industry and then got into the sales department.

I took what most people think is a useless art degree and turned it into a stable career. I am very happy doing what I do. I know you say you are shy and so am I and my father. We are not people oriented. But if you can find a way to sell a product you find interesting and a passion, then you will be a natural sales person. I must admit that through the years, and as commissions started coming in, I have become certainly less shy!

You sound passionate enough about your background and desire to make some money that you should find some way to parlay it into a sales job. You just need to find an aspect of your education that you could use to sell a product. What product? I'm not sure...

My dad had a special education degree. He taught for a while, but was stressed with the job and low pay so he ended up selling liquid nails and paint as a start. He had a wife and kid and needed to make some additional money. He took something he found interesting, home improvement, DYI stuff, and built a career out of it. He ended up getting out of education completely and started selling something he thought was interesting to him. He liked that kind of stuff, so he got a job selling it. Before he retired, he was running a chain of hardware stores. That's just where his career took him. Certainly not what he expected when he was studying Special Education.

I'm not saying that you should get out of education, but if you want to make some extra money for yourself, find a hobby or activity you love and find a way to sell that product or idea to other people. You might find it more gratifying and prosperous. Never think you are throwing your degree away by going into a different field. Most of the people I know are not working in the same field as the degree they have..

Last edited by MR77; 05-10-2014 at 11:37 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business