Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 12:26 PM

893 posts, read 886,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
Nope... You are SOL.

His debts were discharged and you approaching him is in violation of the order of the court.

He has no legal obligation to pay you. You need to accept that and move on.

Give me a break. Bankruptcy can be for any number of reasons and it doesn't make a person a deadbeat.

I filed Chapter 13 in 2009. I had been laid off and couldn't find a job for many months. Notice I didn't liquidate with a Chapter 7... I filed a 13 and paid back roughly half of my $20k worth of debt.

Do I feel bad? Nope. Did I at least pay back some of my debt? Yep. Do I sleep well at night? Yep.

My bankruptcy was discharged 1 year ago... I've rebuilt my credit to a 690 score and have a 3.99% auto loan and $20k in MasterCard/Visa. I guess the banks have forgiven me?

When my 13 drops off my credit report in April 2016 my scores should break 800. Good thing credit can be rebuilt.

Life happens.... Doesn't make me a deadbeat. Get over yourself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
You are still a dead beat to the people left holding the bag.

That won't change despite how high of a credit score you brag about.
Yep. LOL at the deadbeat lecturing someone to "get over themself"

Sounds like he didn't learn his lesson on debt either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 12:26 PM

23,601 posts, read 70,412,676 times
Frankly, when I was hit with an outrageous $60,000 hospital bill that my insurance company refused to pay, along with surgeon, radiology, and anesthesiologist bills and I was current with every other creditor, I went into negotiations with the hospital that if they didn't get reasonable fast, I would be more than happy to file bankruptcy and they wouldn't get a dime.

Me? Deadbeat? No how, no way. Unwilling to be trampled in the greed of others stampeding to what they see as easy money from me, oh yeah.

The asinine stereotype assumption that EVERYONE who uses bankruptcy is a deadbeat simply shows to me how judgmentally evil some people are. My comment to that is that karma is a female dog.

Old 05-15-2014, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Phillips View Post
How did your wife "find out" about the bankruptcy? And how do you know you were "put on the list"? Who told you that you are "SOL"? If the erstwhile pool repairman actually filed bankruptcy, you should have received a notice of the filing from the bankruptcy court and an order for his discharge. Was this person who took your money a "licensed contractor"? Although the amount of your claim is relatively small, it may well be worth your while to do some fact checking.
Thanks Wendell, my wife found out about it after doing some sleuth work behind the scenes through work connections.

I saw the paperwork listing the debts and we had advice from a lawyer that reviewed it and were told we would not get a dime.

I actually checked on it again before I made the OP just to make sure.

I guess I was hoping if I contacted the guy nicely and appealed to his morality that he might do the right thing and at least make an attempt to rectify the situation.

Obviously there are a couple on here who think like the slime ball who kept my money.

Thanks again Wendell

Old 05-15-2014, 12:41 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,429,546 times
Doesn't mean you can't post negative reviews about the pool guy on Angie's List, yelp and any other forum so he never works as a pool guy again.

Old 05-15-2014, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Frankly, when I was hit with an outrageous $60,000 hospital bill that my insurance company refused to pay, along with surgeon, radiology, and anesthesiologist bills and I was current with every other creditor, I went into negotiations with the hospital that if they didn't get reasonable fast, I would be more than happy to file bankruptcy and they wouldn't get a dime.

Me? Deadbeat? No how, no way. Unwilling to be trampled in the greed of others stampeding to what they see as easy money from me, oh yeah.

The asinine stereotype assumption that EVERYONE who uses bankruptcy is a deadbeat simply shows to me how judgmentally evil some people are. My comment to that is that karma is a female dog.
LOL. based on your comments, you are the victim. Right?

"Outrageous $60,000 hospital bill" Says you. Sure, you can negotiate to get some fees and charges reduced but you went to them for a service. Is it a fair price? Probably not but those hospitals don't build themselves and doctors are to be compensated for their services. I suppose I could have done the procedure for you and charged a great deal less. Would that be ok?

"insurance company refused to pay" You do realize that your insurance policy is a CONTRACT, right? They are obligated to pay your bills based on the contract. Sounds like you didn't read your contract.

I hear uneducated folk complain about that all the time. You can't have it both ways. You generally get what you pay for.

"The greed of others stampeding to what they see as easy money"

I have to laugh at chuckle heads that will lecture someone for being stiffed $ by someone who didn't provide the service promised but then go on to Bit#@ about having to pay for a service that they AGREED TO and received.

That's rich.

Maybe THAT was Karma as you say?

Old 05-15-2014, 12:51 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,756,246 times
Quote:
...the butcher shop owner asked if he could pay at least a little back on that beef.

Within a week the butcher shop owner got a letter from an attorney threatening the butcher shop for penalties of " harassment "
Quote:

His debts were discharged and you approaching him is in violation of the order of the court.
There are some pretty specific regulations / laws regarding your rights as a creditor in a bankruptcy scenario. If you were included in his bankruptcy, you are bound by those laws. Approaching him in any manner (no matter how nicely) regarding repayment, could get you in some serious trouble.

Frustrating for you, but it really is going to end up being one of those things that you have to try and find peace with because you aren't going to get the satisfaction of being paid back or even getting anything personal (an apology comes to mind) from the pool guy.

Old 05-15-2014, 01:08 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,603,588 times
Quote:
You are still a dead beat to the people left holding the bag.

That won't change despite how high of a credit score you brag about.
Banks charge off bad debts. Capital One was listed as one of my creditors and ironically were the first to give me a new account... Literally 3 days after my discharge they gave me a $1000 MasterCard.

You obviously care more than they did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowa4430 View Post
Yep. LOL at the deadbeat lecturing someone to "get over themself"

Sounds like he didn't learn his lesson on debt either.
I've always paid my debts except for when I lost my job in "The Great Recession."

I am jealous of you though... I've never given away $5000 that I have no chance of ever seeing again.

You can call me a deadbeat... But one thing I am not is naive or stupid. Hang on a sec while I count out this $5000 will ya?

Last edited by Kees; 05-15-2014 at 01:19 PM.. Reason: ... Added quote

Old 05-15-2014, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Banks charge off bad debts. Capital One was listed as one of my creditors and ironically were the first to give me a new account... Literally 3 days after my discharge they gave me a $1000 MasterCard.

You obviously care more than they did.

That isn't surprising at all. With the fees they collect for every purchase you make plus the high interest rate on balances that people like you pay them each month, they would be foolish not to give you another card so you can pay them outrages interest rates.

They know it might be years before you file bankruptcy again but in the meantime, they've made up all the money you stiffed them on the first time and then some.

they aren't dumb. but most Americans are when it comes to finances.

Old 05-15-2014, 01:27 PM

Quote:
I've always paid my debts except for when I lost my job in "The Great Recession."

I am jealous of you though... I've never given away $5000 that I have no chance of ever seeing again.

You can call me a deadbeat... But one thing I am not is naive or stupid. Hang on a sec while I count out this $5000 will ya?
So you admit that you still haven't paid off your debts from Obama's recession? Why wouldn't you go back and pay those folks that YOU stiffed?

I couldn't sleep at night knowing I did that. I'm sure the response would be something to the effect of it being a "faceless victim". Yeah, sure.

I am sure you aren't naive. Stupid? Who knows. Unethical?.............BAU

Old 05-15-2014, 01:36 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,603,588 times
Quote:
That isn't surprising at all. With the fees they collect for every purchase you make plus the high interest rate on balances that people like you pay them each month, they would be foolish not to give you another card so you can pay them outrages interest rates.

They know it might be years before you file bankruptcy again but in the meantime, they've made up all the money you stiffed them on the first time and then some.

they aren't dumb. but most Americans are when it comes to finances.
So are people like you that assume that people with credit cards are over there heads in debt.

I have $22,000 in cards... And my total debt across all combined is about $2700... If I am going to carry a balance it wouldn't be on my Capital One card anyway... It would be on my 8.9% Visa from my credit union. I have paid an astonishing $13 this year in interest.

$13.

Now please enlighten me with more of your brilliant financial genius. PM me and I'll give you an address to send $5000 to as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post

Good post.

Quote:
So you admit that you still haven't paid off your debts from Obama's recession? Why wouldn't you go back and pay those folks that YOU stiffed?
Because I don't have to.

I paid back the required amount the court said I had to pay (roughly 50%) and after 4 years of payments my remaining debt was discharged.

Educate yourself on how bankruptcy works... And don't bother contacting the pool guy. You can get in trouble with the court if you do.

Last edited by Kees; 05-15-2014 at 01:45 PM.. Reason: ... Added quote
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business