U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 06-14-2018, 07:34 AM
 
Location: All Over
3,971 posts, read 4,209,965 times
Reputation: 2999

Advertisements

I've read a few articles recently that state that 30% of people are participating in the gig economy. I was curious how many of you guys are?

The gig economy could include things like Uber, Upwork, Task Rabbit, Fiverr etc. Now technically that is what the gig economy is, is being a part of a platform like that as opposed to running your own business, however I notice the media also seems to lump in freelancers working independently ie graphic designers, web desginers, some consultants, etc.

Curious how many of you participate? What you do? And how important the income is to you. Is it beer money or is it money you rely on?
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-17-2018, 01:08 PM
 
178 posts, read 69,886 times
Reputation: 165
I can only do job/gig that is health permitted. I like it. It pay higher than an hourly job but the down side is income is not steady, no benefits, and is not a career choice. I think my career is dead because I can't go back to school or go back to my field.

The upside is flexibility. Although my income is not steady however, I make more than my friends per month and able to set aside my own retirement funds. I have the freedom that I need to go see Dr., travel, and work whenever I want without anyone looking over my shoulder. With more time to spare, I have more than 1 gig going on and always looking for more things to do to make more money. I love the freedom!

My gigs are translation, giving out free stuffs, walking to earn sweatcoin, snapping receipts, recruiting, online posting, LED, ..anything that I can do. My friends said I'm a hustler but in a very slow motion. My daily goal is to make $200 a day. it is not much since work is according to health.

When I did LED, I was shocked to see I made $1000 a day! But that gig is seasonal so I'm looking for something similar.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-19-2018, 09:46 AM
 
Location: All Over
3,971 posts, read 4,209,965 times
Reputation: 2999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sreysrey View Post
I can only do job/gig that is health permitted. I like it. It pay higher than an hourly job but the down side is income is not steady, no benefits, and is not a career choice. I think my career is dead because I can't go back to school or go back to my field.

The upside is flexibility. Although my income is not steady however, I make more than my friends per month and able to set aside my own retirement funds. I have the freedom that I need to go see Dr., travel, and work whenever I want without anyone looking over my shoulder. With more time to spare, I have more than 1 gig going on and always looking for more things to do to make more money. I love the freedom!

My gigs are translation, giving out free stuffs, walking to earn sweatcoin, snapping receipts, recruiting, online posting, LED, ..anything that I can do. My friends said I'm a hustler but in a very slow motion. My daily goal is to make $200 a day. it is not much since work is according to health.

When I did LED, I was shocked to see I made $1000 a day! But that gig is seasonal so I'm looking for something similar.
Not sure if your into graphic design or are creative but checkout Amazon Merch. All you do is upload designs to amazon and when they sell you get paid. You dont have to have a website, dont need to stock inventory, dont need to spend any money. You don't even need photo shop you can use free design programs like luna pic or pic monkey.

Keep hustling man
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2018, 05:02 PM
 
Location: Union City, NJ
1,202 posts, read 687,900 times
Reputation: 1746
I use Thumbtack to book photo booth and DJ gigs. The income helps a lot. But it's mostly a temporary side gig to pay for an expensive purchase that I would rather not finance.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2018, 05:03 PM
 
Location: Union City, NJ
1,202 posts, read 687,900 times
Reputation: 1746
Quote:
Originally Posted by doodlemagic View Post
Not sure if your into graphic design or are creative but checkout Amazon Merch. All you do is upload designs to amazon and when they sell you get paid. You dont have to have a website, dont need to stock inventory, dont need to spend any money. You don't even need photo shop you can use free design programs like luna pic or pic monkey.

Keep hustling man

This is pretty cool. Have you used it personally? Curious how many units someone is likely to move this way.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2018, 06:50 PM
 
1,937 posts, read 1,164,620 times
Reputation: 9180
I'm a freelance writer full-time. My entire income comes from my own personal business platform and gig sites... mostly the former, though. Gig site competition grows all the time and you have to be able to market yourself well.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2018, 09:20 PM
 
Location: The Berk in Denver, CO USA
13,144 posts, read 18,773,201 times
Reputation: 20491
Webmaster and marketeer since 1996.
Some day I will retire.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-21-2018, 10:42 AM
 
Location: Florida
4,120 posts, read 3,077,308 times
Reputation: 8665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murk View Post
I'm a freelance writer full-time. My entire income comes from my own personal business platform and gig sites... mostly the former, though. Gig site competition grows all the time and you have to be able to market yourself well.
I'm also a freelance writer. I rarely work with gig sites because I'm usually busy enough with my own personal clients, but occasionally I will use them to fill in.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2018, 09:25 AM
 
Location: All Over
3,971 posts, read 4,209,965 times
Reputation: 2999
Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
I use Thumbtack to book photo booth and DJ gigs. The income helps a lot. But it's mostly a temporary side gig to pay for an expensive purchase that I would rather not finance.
How is thumbtack for you? I used it years ago and it was amazing at building up a handyman and lawncare business for me. Most other people I talk to rant about how horrible it is, they say they pay all this money and Thumbtack has bots making fake jobs, claim they never get jobs, etc.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-02-2018, 08:49 PM
 
Location: Paranoid State
12,697 posts, read 9,466,900 times
Reputation: 14953
I'm formally retired, so I'm not sure if I count.

About 4 times a year I'll get a call on behalf of a hedge fund to get my view on a general topic in a specific industry (e.g., CapEx in Semiconductor Manufacturing); I'll spend a day preparing and an hour on the telephone addressing the issue & answering questions.
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top