Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2018, 07:58 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,166,453 times

Advertisements

A co-worker from 5 years ago has called several times and asked if I would be a reference. I told him yes because I thought he was an adequate worker with so-so people skills, and have done approximately three references for him over the years.

About a week ago, I received an email request to go to a certain website, create an account, log in, and answer questions there for a written reference for the same person (that person never called to inform me this was coming). To me that is a bit too intrusive, I don't like the "written in stone" aspect, and frankly feel it is asking me to do too much "work." I couldn't stand doing paperwork for myself when I used to search for jobs.

Has anyone else encountered this kind of request?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2018, 08:28 AM

4,029 posts, read 3,639,406 times
Any references I've given have been just a brief phone conversation. I don't think your former co-worker could have anticipated what their process for obtaining references would be. If you choose not to do the "work" after agreeing to being a reference, it will probably put him in a bad spot. I guess it comes down to how much you like the guy.

Old 09-13-2018, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HudsonCoNJ View Post
Any references I've given have been just a brief phone conversation. I don't think your former co-worker could have anticipated what their process for obtaining references would be. If you choose not to do the "work" after agreeing to being a reference, it will probably put him in a bad spot. I guess it comes down to how much you like the guy.
True, to be clear... the last time he asked for a reference was in June, and I took the call for that reference that week.

I hadn't heard from the FCo-Worker since - even after I wrote to tell him how the reference interview went.

When I got this latest "written" request it went into my junk folder - apparently it was sent out about a month ago and today I got a phone call asking that I find the old mail and complete the reference. I informed the caller and have written to the FCo-Worker telling him what I received and informing him I am not interested in filling forms - they they are welcome to call me.

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 09-13-2018 at 09:06 AM..

Old 09-13-2018, 10:27 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,206,701 times
I think you did the right thing. I would also ignore it, no way would I ever put a reference in writing for someone "adequate" and "so-so".

Old 09-14-2018, 08:32 AM

32,650 posts, read 48,053,996 times
Businesses want references from co-workers? Are you sure he isn't misrepresenting you as his manager?

A business that wants references to sign into a website and give a written appraisal is going to have problems gathering references for their applicants.

Old 09-14-2018, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Businesses want references from co-workers? Are you sure he isn't misrepresenting you as his manager?

A business that wants references to sign into a website and give a written appraisal is going to have problems gathering references for their applicants.
No. References from co-workers is very common - at least in contracting.

Old 09-15-2018, 12:17 AM

2,762 posts, read 3,186,661 times
Forget that, the employer can pick up the phone and call me.

Employers have no shame.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business