Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2008, 03:40 PM

216 posts, read 698,116 times

Advertisements

i am looking to start up a dog sitting service. i live in arizona. what do i need to do to get started?
thanx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 03:45 PM

4,696 posts, read 7,890,766 times
There's an organization called Score which will guide you step by step in setting up your business. It is free. Look it up where you live and find out when and where they have counselling. Go see one of the counsellors or ask by email at SCORE.org.

Old 05-19-2008, 06:41 PM

216 posts, read 698,116 times
very positive reply, thank you, i love animals and want them and their humans to be comfortable

Old 05-20-2008, 04:58 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,754,704 times
You probably need a business license from the state and city you are based in and you need an IRS tax ID number. Remember that as a business owner, you must pay your taxes every quarter and your SS tax will be the full 15% because there is no employer to pay the other half. You may also need to be bonded and insured if you are working in other people's homes in case you get hurt on their property or bit by their animal. Liability will cover you should an animal die or get injured while in your care.

Old 05-20-2008, 02:42 PM

303 posts, read 1,385,602 times
I set one up in Alabama and all I needed was a city license which was very easy to obtain. Google Pet Setting Insurance. There are only a few companies offering it. Sorry but I forgot the names.

Good luck with your business! I don't have more info because it was hard to get started in my area and I did not renew the license.

Old 05-20-2008, 04:37 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,332,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
You probably need a business license from the state and city you are based in and you need an IRS tax ID number. Remember that as a business owner, you must pay your taxes every quarter and your SS tax will be the full 15% because there is no employer to pay the other half. You may also need to be bonded and insured if you are working in other people's homes in case you get hurt on their property or bit by their animal. Liability will cover you should an animal die or get injured while in your care.
I have been in business 12 years. I use my SS number. No tax ID. I file a schedule C with a 1040 once a year. I do not pay into SS.
I was just audited for 05/06. There was no change. I am not bonded, I do not handle money for others. I do have liability.

Old 05-22-2008, 02:18 PM

1,914 posts, read 7,147,586 times
In Texas all you need is a DBA from the county clerk's office. It might help to be insured. You do not need a TAX Id from the IRS unless you will have employees. You don't have to file every quarter, unless you have employees. My husband has a home based business and he only files his taxes once a year. You may look into your state comptroller's office to see if you will need to pay a franchise fee or sales taxes for your services.
It's really not complicated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business