Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2023, 09:29 AM

9,850 posts, read 7,716,018 times

Advertisements

I hired a junk hauler a few months ago. I googled it. Make sure you have a simple website set up so people can find you if they need you. Include what cities you will service and your phone number.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2023, 09:42 AM

50,344 posts, read 63,918,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Business license? Insurance? Contractor's license needed in your area? Equipment? Cleaning supplies? Good phone service? Knowledge about bookkeeping, or hire a bookkeeping firm?

At first, advertise in cheap places like Craigslist where it doesn't cost you for advertising. Make up a handsome flyer and distribute to every real estate agency in your county and to every property management company.. Get some business cards printed up in case anyone asks how to get in touch with you. Set up a simple website.

Is it just you or do you have employees. If you have employees, you have to know about payroll, payroll taxes, laws regarding employees...

Be 100% on time when you make an appointment, do the job that you contract to do, do it well, and do it on budget. If you are unreliable, you are pretty much done. You need your repeat customers and they won't call you again if you are not trustworthy.
Good advice. Under promise and over deliver. Leave your customer feeling like he got his moneys worth.

Also, a good accountant is worth it. Once you enter the muck and mire of business related taxes, they are worth every penny.

You do, what you do, and hire others to do what you don’t do.

Old 06-26-2023, 10:58 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,467,480 times
first what kind of junk will you be hauling???????
are you the only hauler?
Do you have any background and expertise in hauling junk?

Old 06-27-2023, 11:48 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,154,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helpmeout1 View Post
I got my LLC formed through the state of MD by the business express website but now what’s the next step? I tried googling and YouTubing but that’s not really any help.

im trying to open a junk hauling business and like I said I got my LLC but I don’t know what’s the next step.

im not sure what forum this goes in but I just need help in starting up a business.

Can I start advertising and making signs.

I also got my EIN.
I predict your business will fail.

You're googling and looking at Useless Tube which tells me you're not willing to put any effort into the business.

Here's a new word for your vocabulary: Library.

Use it.

You need to talk to an attorney. You'll probably need a retainer of at least $1,500 to get started.

The attorney will pull all of the case law related to junk businesses and summarize them for you in written format and then explain them to you, and also pull all relevant statutes, rules, and regulations pertaining to your business of hauling junk.

There may be restrictions on when you (as a business and not as an individual) may collect/haul junk, e.g. as a business you may not be able to collect/haul after 6:00 PM, or maybe 8:00 PM.

You may need permits from the federal or State EPA (or both) to haul and/or store and/or dispose of junk.

You may need permits expressly for store/disposing.

You will need business and casualty insurance in the event a piece of junk falls off your truck and injures or kills another. You may need special riders to haul junk and/or to haul hazardous material, and you may need to obtain a CDL with appropriate certifications.

Even though you are organized as an LLC, if you commit a crime, your personal assets are not protected so you could lose your home and other assets.

Old 06-27-2023, 02:07 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,634,374 times
At least you don't need to rent a space for your business. That's a huge financial help.

We started our printing business in our garage and a spare bedroom as a darkroom. Didn't advertise ever. I walked around to various businesses and dropped off business cards. For a week. After that it was word-of-mouth which is your best advertising. You probably won't have many repeat customers but word will get out if you do a good job.

Try not to hire employees if you can get away with doing it all yourself. Employees make everything exponentially harder. We found that the amount of work we could do with our own 4 hands was plenty of profit and no headache, even if some machines sat idle.

Watch out for SCORE. They gave us some really bad financial advice.

Agree a good accountant is a must.

Having your own biz is great satisfaction. But you'll never be content as an employee after that! We loved running our own show. I wish I could go back to building houses. No greater satisfaction.

Old 06-27-2023, 09:47 PM

155 posts, read 204,816 times
I’m trying to get a business hauling any kind of jack like 1800 got junk and so on. I just need some pointer because I call the business of commerce and it goes straight to voicemail.

All I know that I need next step is a us DOT number on my truck but what’s next after that? I will have geico do my business truck insurance and I have my pick up with a trailer that can do the job.

I would get a dumpster rented so that I can do after hours dump haul without going to the landfill. I live in MD(MARYLAND)

I’m only 29 and I’m interested in figuring out this whole thing so I can start a company.

Old 06-28-2023, 08:00 AM

2,024 posts, read 979,083 times
Quote:
I’m trying to get a business hauling any kind of jack like 1800 got junk and so on. I just need some pointer because I call the business of commerce and it goes straight to voicemail.

All I know that I need next step is a us DOT number on my truck but what’s next after that? I will have geico do my business truck insurance and I have my pick up with a trailer that can do the job.

I would get a dumpster rented so that I can do after hours dump haul without going to the landfill. I live in MD(MARYLAND)

I’m only 29 and I’m interested in figuring out this whole thing so I can start a company.
You might benefit by going to work for one of these companies for maybe 6 months or so.

Old 06-28-2023, 12:17 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,694 posts, read 58,004,579 times
Scrap business can be highly regulated due to stolen goods, (catalytic converter s/ bikes / cars / industrial waste....). Be sure you have buyers lined up.

Get the straight scoop.
I haven't met a state dept of revenue staff unwilling to talk and share details for small business.

Old 07-03-2023, 06:13 AM

17,285 posts, read 22,006,628 times
Quote:
I got my LLC formed through the state of MD by the business express website but now what’s the next step? I tried googling and YouTubing but that’s not really any help.

im trying to open a junk hauling business and like I said I got my LLC but I don’t know what’s the next step.

im not sure what forum this goes in but I just need help in starting up a business.

Can I start advertising and making signs.

I also got my EIN.
Got liability insurance?
Workers comp for any employees?

Old 07-06-2023, 07:48 PM

45,337 posts, read 60,512,994 times
What's your business plan? One year, five years, ten years. You'll need one if you try to get any of the seed money loans/grants.

https://www.sba.gov/district/baltimore

I know it says Baltimore but that office covers everywhere but Montgomery and Prince George's.

https://montcosba.com/maryland-small...opment-center/
https://www.pgcedc.com/small-business-servicesscore
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics > Business