Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 01:18 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,728,787 times

Advertisements

In three years, Alberta will surpass Quebec in GDP despite having less than half the population.

In Canada

I am just surprised that not more people are moving to Alberta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2014, 07:08 AM

1,217 posts, read 2,599,838 times
Sounds like people are moving there in droves but they still probably don't have enough labour to meet demand - hence higher salaries. I think one problem is that most people don't want to move because of lifestyle. Calgary is not an exciting or hip enough place to attract people. I wouldn't be interesting in going to make 25% more. 100% more, then I'd think about it. Secondly, I would think a lot of these jobs are in the oil fields and I've heard those places are not only huge cess pools of pollution but in the middle of nowhere with all dudes. I've read that drug use, gambling, alcoholism and prostitution are not uncommon in these areas.

Old 07-25-2014, 07:29 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnathanc View Post
Sounds like people are moving there in droves but they still probably don't have enough labour to meet demand - hence higher salaries. I think one problem is that most people don't want to move because of lifestyle. Calgary is not an exciting or hip enough place to attract people. I wouldn't be interesting in going to make 25% more. 100% more, then I'd think about it. Secondly, I would think a lot of these jobs are in the oil fields and I've heard those places are not only huge cess pools of pollution but in the middle of nowhere with all dudes. I've read that drug use, gambling, alcoholism and prostitution are not uncommon in these areas.
You've never actually been, have you?

Old 07-25-2014, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
You've never actually been, have you?
No I haven't. I admit that. My sister and several coworkers/friends have been to Calgary for business and I'm going with their commentary. They are well traveled people who have seen the world and I generally trust their opinion. The oil field comments are based articles I've read in reputable newspapers over the past years.

I'd love to hear more about it from a local if you care to share.

Old 07-25-2014, 11:41 PM

30 posts, read 74,649 times
I moved from Montreal two weeks ago and absolutely love it here. How one province can have so much natural beauty is beyond me. The people are friendlier the air is cleaner and NO TAX. Maybe it's not as "hip" as Montreal but if your prefer hiking, biking, canoeing, more than clubbing. Calgary is where it's at.

Old 07-26-2014, 08:25 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,883,952 times
Wow great for Alberta! I think it will take time for a city like Calgary to rise in prominence as being like the top 3 from a cosmopolitan perspective, but the rise of Alberta is still new and they are on the move! Interesting to see how Calgary will rank in 20 years - pretty exciting and happy for them.

Old 07-26-2014, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Bizarre to relate drug use, gambling, alcoholism, prostitution to the growing success of Alberta. If Alberta were in your new found land of the good ole U.S it would be the greatest thing since sliced bread for you.

Last edited by fusion2; 07-26-2014 at 08:49 AM..

Old 07-26-2014, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Bizarre to relate drug use, gambling, alcoholism, prostitution to the growing success of Alberta. If Alberta were in your new found land of the good ole U.S it would be the greatest thing since sliced bread for you.
Odd and off topic comment. Not quite sure what the US has to do with this. Perhaps there are similar issues happening in high growth places like North Dakota as well, not sure. I'm bringing up some working condition issues that are happening in the oil fields that I've read about that generally don't make the main steam media or fit with the government agenda. Many people would not want to move and work in places with problems as was brought up by the OP.

For the record, I think both Canada and the US are both major world polluters, that's reality and I would never deny the objective truth. Although Alberta is the only high growth province that is helping keep this country going. It is no wonder the government and industry never publicize the pollutive and negative social aspects, they just want the general population to say yah and shut up.

I think you should grow up dude. Look around. People move to and live in other cities all the around the world. There's nothing wrong with it. All countries have good and no so good aspects.

Last edited by johnathanc; 07-26-2014 at 02:10 PM..

Old 07-26-2014, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Odd and off topic comment. Not quite sure what the US has to do with this. Perhaps there are similar issues happening in high growth places like North Dakota as well, not sure. I'm bringing up some working condition issues that are happening in the oil fields that I've read about that generally don't make the main steam media or fit with the government agenda. Many people would not want to move and work in places with problems as was brought up by the OP.

For the record, I think both Canada and the US are both major world polluters, that's reality and I would never deny the objective truth. Although Alberta is the only high growth province that is helping keep this country going. It is no wonder the government and industry never publicize the pollutive and negative social aspects, they just want the general population to say yah and shut up.

I think you should grow up dude. Look around. People move to and live in other cities all the around the world. There's nothing wrong with it. All countries have good and no so good aspects.
As I said earlier - dude, bizzare that you would mention things like gambling, alcohol, prostitution etc when this thread is about Alberta becoming the second largest economy in Canada over the next few years. You can discuss that if you wish but more benefical to all if you just stay on topic. As for people moving to other countries I actually encourage this - it means those who stick with it are aligned with its values and what it represents - they have skin in the game, but yeah that is another topic

Last edited by fusion2; 07-26-2014 at 05:27 PM..

Old 07-27-2014, 09:25 AM

681 posts, read 1,560,881 times
Quote:
So you have a large population of single men aged 18-35 with lots of disposable income aggregrated in a small area - think it goes without saying that drug use, gambling and alcoholism would not be "uncommon". That's called demographics. If these are activities that you don't care to engage in then that is your perogative... they aren't foisted upon you.

On the flip side there are also many upscale "dry" workcamps and a good proportion that perform mandatory drug/alcohol testing. Fail and you're fired.

Yes there are lots of jobs in the field, but an equal amount of employment opportunities are in the cities that support the field... Edmonton, Red Deer, Medicine Hat and Calgary. Calgary has the highest concentration of head offices in the country. As for higher salaries - the main drivers of employment in Calgary are energy, transportation, finance, technology, health care and to a growing extent, Film and television. Many of the jobs, especially in energy, require specialized post secondary education. I can't walk down the street without bumping into an engineer - it's a city filled with iron pinky rings and the salaries that go with them.

I'm always amazed by people who make a claim based on something that they have "heard" or something that they have "read". So if someone logs on to city data and happens upon this thread and reads your post... they could now go on to spread the mis-belief that AB is a cesspool and Calgary is a boring city. Charming.

Making a claim that Calgary is not exciting or hip is sad when you admit that you have never been here. What makes a city exciting or hip anyway? Do you have a specific formula?

Calgary has "hip" districts: 4th street, 17th ave and Kensington for example. Calgary has an extensive network of paved trails for biking, rollerblading, jogging, etc as well as 150 off leash areas for dog owners. Calgary hosts 2 world renowned events: The Calgary Stampede and the Global Petroleum Show as well as numerous small festivals (Lilac festival, Sun and Salsa Festival, Folk Fest, Calgary International Children's festival.... etc.) Calgary has Canada Olympic Park, The Glenbow Museum and, the under construction, National Music Centre. Calgary has enviable proximity to the Rocky Mountains - I can get to the centre of Banff from my house in an hour.

You know I could go on... and on... and on... but why? You have heard something, so it must be true and worth repeating.

Last edited by TiredOfyycCold; 07-27-2014 at 09:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Calgary