Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 12:44 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,041,502 times

Advertisements

What the heck kind of an alarm system doesn't cover ALL the rooms?

Yes, you need to be calm. Don't worry about people just because they are Mexicans. Your first priority is to fix your front door and get an alarm system that covers ALL the rooms. Not sure I'd go knocking on doors, but if you happen to see your neighbors outside, I'd walk over and introduce myself, or at least a friendly "hello" and a nod or a wave. I understand if you're not really a "hello", just walk over kind of person, but at least some friendly gesture is nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2010, 03:22 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,172,833 times
The pitbulls worry me more than the neighbors. I'd be extremely cautious if the dogs don't look friendly, particularly if you have kids.

Hispanic neighbors, undershirts, etc. None of that spells out "bad neighbors." They could be the nicest people you ever will meet. Are there any women in the household? I'd go over and say hello.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:15 AM

1,298 posts, read 1,823,403 times
I see you have a dog, a gun and an alarm system which are all a good start for your security. I believe someone has already suggested a metal front door which I second.
I do not agree you should be going over to the house with all the people and introducing yourself. Let introductions occur slowly when the opportunity comes up, in the meantime be cordial and wave etc. but I would steer away from going to their house.
The Pit Bull dogs are not a good sign - I know some will say I'm dealing in stereotypes but I stand my ground on my statement . If they are letting those dogs run loose then absolutely call animal control and tell them. It is not only irresponsible it can be (I didn't say is) a sign the people that live there don't have them just for security but have an intense reason for keeping others away from their property. If they park their cars illegally or block your driveway call parking control out there. Some people just have to be treated that way, again that's based on experience and you have to stand up for yourself.
Also, if they have loud parties with a lot of people coming over, call the police to shut them down. I've done that many times here in the part of LA I live in as no one needs to endure that kind of crap and noise - oh do not go to a party there alone even if invited as you will be sending all the wrong messages - drunk males of any race/ethnic backround forget how to behave properly!
You mentioned being able to wear a mini skirt any time at night back home and feel safe. Dial down your wardrobe and don't be seen out in front of your house in skimpy outfits. Go over to the beach if you want to tan as it sounds like you already stand out in your neighborhood so don't give them any more to look at.
Do you have any friends that can visit you regularly? That would help reduce the perception you are alone when your husband is away and make you more comfortable as well. Have any family or friends from Germany that might want to visit you and stay for awhile? Also, if you don't have a job you might want to volunteer at the base or something just to get you away from the house so you don't feel like you're in a bunker or under seige.
Be confident but wary and you will be fine. I also want to thank your husband for his duty and your support of him too. Best wishes!

Old 06-10-2010, 09:21 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
Thanks for all the tips!!

I do not want to install bars in front of the windows since we will move in 3 years and rent the place. Nobody wants to rent a place with bars on the windows.

We get a new front door next week in a metal frame.

I do not dare calling the animal control or tell them to not park in front of our house.

And - again - I do not care what race they are. Yes, I am talking about the wifebeaters

I don't wear miniskirts anymore.

No friends who visit me, but I am thinking of getting a room mate. Has to be female though.

You guys helped me alot, thanks again.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:44 AM

1,298 posts, read 1,823,403 times
A roommate is an excellent idea! No one has to know you called animal control and no way should those dogs be allowed to run in the street - you most likely won't have your gun with you in case they attack so better safe than sorry.
The same for parking issues, do not confront them, let parking control do that and again no one knows who called them - and if they do too bad.. People need to learn they don't live out in the country and adapt to their surroundings and have some consideration for those around them. A couple of vists by the police etc. will get the message through to them.
As for renters not liking bars on the windows I wouldn't worry about that. I don't like then because they are ugly. My house had them when we bought it but I would not have instralled them myself. Our next door neighbor (now a 70 year old widow living alone) doen't have bars on her window but does have a good alarm system.
Good luck, I'm confident you will enjoy your time there.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:48 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,701,448 times
Hey chica I just read your post eh. Come on over and have a cervehza. Is all right. Sounds like you are having a leetle culture shock. We like de white wemons. HAHA. Welcome to California guerita.

If you are not a troll trying to stir things up, sounds like you have some adjusting to do. You really need to get some Latino friends who know the area and can survey the situation for you. Lots of great Mexican food joints around 5th st and Oxnard blvd.

Old 06-10-2010, 04:57 PM

152 posts, read 335,370 times
people that live in "questionable areas' love bars, they really do help.

Old 06-10-2010, 05:26 PM

491 posts, read 1,261,669 times
The best indicator of your safety is your own instincts, what are generally called "gut feelings". If you feel unsafe living there, take the loss, move and don't make the same mistake again. Life is too short to lay in bed at night and wonder if every creak is someone trying to break in and every look from a neighbor is a threat.

Although not politically correct, first impressions are usually dead on. There aren't enough exceptions to first impressions to warrant not trusting your instincts.

Old 06-10-2010, 07:34 PM
rah

3,314 posts, read 9,239,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post

I do not want to install bars in front of the windows since we will move in 3 years and rent the place. Nobody wants to rent a place with bars on the windows.
This is not necessarily true. Maybe it's a difference between Germany and the US, and how bars on the window are viewed, but here in San Francisco for example you'll see some barred windows even in very nice neighborhoods. Of course the higher crime areas will have more houses and businesses that have bars, but bars in and of themselves don't have to mean something bad. Some will see bars as a stigma, and others will not think twice about their presence. I doubt you'd have trouble renting the place just becuase of bars on the windows (if EVERY nearby building is loaded up with bars however, or if you go crazy and do a full doorway cage, plus bars on the second story as well as the first...well that would set off alarms for many people i think ..but even then someone would come along who could care less and would be happy to rent it).

Also, if the area you're in is indeed "questionable," bars might actually be a good thing to have in the eyes of prospective renters. just a thought.

As for the neighbors, i recommend what others have said and give a little smile and wave/nod and say hello next time you walk by and you guys see each other. Taking the initiative and knocking on the door just to say hi has more potential to be awkward/go wrong if your neighbors are truly people to be avoided. In addition, don't be scared of people just becuase they look/act different than what you're used to.

Unleashed pit-bulls who chase kids on bikes does sound like a problem though. I have nothing agaisnt pits, they can be great pets...but a badly socialized/abused pit bull or one that has been trained to fight can be very dangerous, especially if there are multiples of them.

Finally, tank tops do not mean anything except:

a. it is hot
b. someone likes to show of their muscles/tattoos/flabby arms

Old 06-10-2010, 07:37 PM

17,635 posts, read 22,643,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post

We get a new front door next week in a metal frame.

I do not dare calling the animal control or tell them to not park in front of our house.

And - again - I do not care what race they are. Yes, I am talking about the wifebeaters

I don't wear miniskirts anymore.

No friends who visit me, but I am thinking of getting a room mate. Has to be female though.

You guys helped me alot, thanks again.

Howdy oh-eve...

Some lustrums back i lived in the Monterey area. The Leyva family treated me as a son. I was going with the youngest daughter. They are a big very loving family. They did love to party.

There as good folks in this world. & there are some folks not so good.

If you really feel afraid & unsafe at night especially, i probably would bring another Big dog into your family. Maybe a Rottweiler or German Shepherd.

Take your gun to a good instructor or range. Practice, practice, practice until it feels lke an extension of your hand & you are very proficient in its use. Including gun safety & cleaning.

For home safety, a good shotgun is a benificial weapon to have, pistol grip.

Best of Good Health to you, Sis.
Be Safe.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California