Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 11:55 AM

85 posts, read 627,966 times

Advertisements

I have been to California many times, and since I am considering moving out of New York, it is one of my possibilities. Here's the thing though, I have read so many negative posts on this forum about the state, I am thinking that maybe it isn't such a good idea. Here's what people are saying...

1. over crowded (40 million people soon!)
2. dangerous (lot's of gang crime, robberies, etc.)
3. over priced (Which is obvious)
4. lot's of illegal immigrants (I'm very open minded and accepting of basically everybody, but I don't speak Spanish, & have no desire to learn)
5. pollution (I'm from NY, I grew up in pollution)

We have all of these problems in New York, it is the safest city in the country, but it all depends on which neighborhood you're in. I want to move to Northern California (Sacramento & Bay Area Regions) and I want to know what some California residents think. Just so you know, I can only afford a small house (1,000 square ft. at $350,000) but I'm okay with that.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2007, 12:18 PM

788 posts, read 4,068,234 times
I live in Sacramento, but I desperately want to move out of the state. I don't like the sprawl, the outrageous housing and cost of living, and personally, the Sacramento landscape doesn't do it for me. Also, I just need a big change.

Crime is supposed to be a problem here, but I usually feel pretty safe. So, I am not sure if I would let that deter you. Pollution is a problem--if you drive out of Sacramento up into the hills, like Placerville, on your way back you can actually see the smog sitting over the city. Pretty gross. We have a lot of "spare the air" days here. Additionally, this valley is supposed to be one of the worst places for allergy sufferers. My husband and I both take medication for allergies, as do most people I know who live here. Also, it gets really hot in my opinion. Temps in the lower 100s are typical in the summer.

On the brighter side, you might be able to find a very small home for $350,000. You can definitely buy a nice townhome or condo for this price. In fact, I'll sell you mine--we are going to put it on the market. And, Sacramento is within a couple hours driving distance to some beautiful places. i.e. San Francisco and Lake Tahoe. But, honestly, how often are you going to be able to travel to these places? Plus, when you return to Sacramento after being in a place like Lake Tahoe, Sacramento seems pretty crummy in my opinion. I think whether or not you move out here boils down to what your intentions are. If you are looking to move and stay put, and put down roots, then CA might not be a good place for that. However, if you just want to experience what it's like in this state for awhile, and it won't be the end of the world if you need to move out of the state a few years later, then I say go for it.

Old 06-20-2007, 05:08 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,216,682 times
Like anywhere else, it depends upon where you go. The state has a lot of open spaces, the drive from Sacramento to LA is a little less than 400 miles, and 350 of these miles are wide open spaces as far as the eye can see. The crowding is in the large metro areas, but statistically it sounds a lot worse than it feels to me. Sacramento has good and bad areas, you just need to find the one that works for you. It is not a dangerous area overall, nor are much of the other big cities and jobs are plentiful (and the pay is better than most of the country).

Old 06-20-2007, 05:56 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,449,173 times
I'd only move here if I could afford to live in one of the nice areas within 2 miles of the coast. And with a budget of $350k for a house, it doesn't sound like you fit that category any better than I do.

Old 06-20-2007, 06:08 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,605,751 times
Quote:
1,000 square ft. at $350,000
Won't even buy you a home in wonderful Compton,CA

$480,000 can get you this wonderful home in that great Area!

http://cdn-817.homes.com/c1/imgsrv/d7/81/193730817.jpg (broken link)

Old 06-21-2007, 07:44 AM

433 posts, read 2,356,364 times
Don't let the replies discourage you.

California is not overcrowded unless you choose to live in the sprawling cities like LA or the Bay Area. It's easy to drive a little and be out in the country.

You will be able to buy a decent (small) home in the Sac suburbs for 350k. That is about the low end of the range for getting into some of the nicer areas.

Crime is not a problem unless you live in the (obviously) high crime areas. Actually, many of the safest cities in America are in California.

California has the best and worst of everything. You really can't generalize. One thing common to most of the state, however, is nice weather.

Old 06-21-2007, 10:06 AM

3,176 posts, read 14,700,878 times
I lived in Sacramento for 10 years and adored every single moment.

It's a far cry from the urban lifestyle of New York too, so I don't know if you still want that.

You can easily afford a small home or condo for $350K in Sac - but it won't get you jack squat in the Bay Area

I never felt like there was crime in Sacramento, maybe in South Sac - but doesn't every city have the "bad area" that you avoid?

All those issues you listed reminded me of Los Angeles NOT Northern California

Old 06-21-2007, 10:36 AM

18 posts, read 87,600 times
Smile You could do it

You could move to CA in the Northstate Red Bluff, at $350,000 or even $260,000. for a brand new home if you like incredibly 100 plus days for 2 to 3 months in Summers, and fog and rain from approx. November through March/April and down to teens sometimes, very little to occassional snow, like 1 or 2 days, not much to do, but some nice swimming, fishing and boating, if you can afford that, with kids, its a toss up, if you really were "in " here, it might not be the best, however it could be for those who really know people, i don't know, not many jobs, or you'd have to commute to Chico or Redding for anything, however there will be a Supercenter Wal Mart here, that has taken over the place, and since it has no competition is not all that Low priced as they purport to be...the utilities are outrageous PG&E is bad bad bad, and if you have a newer home, it'll be better, but be careful, as if you move outside of town, you'll be on LPG which is a lot more expensive, or well/pump electric! Wowie Zowie, and the AC bill and Heating in Summer and Winter, will just about kill you if you haven't had this kind of weather, but if you have, perhaps you'll understand...and you'll have to drive all over, as the public transportation is negligable...well, sorry to sound so pessimistic, but it's getting harder and harder for me to keep my home up here, due to all the regs and utilities in CA it is really a lot more expensive than many other states..

Old 06-21-2007, 01:13 PM

62 posts, read 291,631 times
I essentially asked the same questions about CA that you did in numbers 1 thru 5, then made my desicion to move out here.

I should have added number 6, because that proved my undoing and if I had asked about it (& gotten a straight answer) I probably would have never come out here;

Question # 6: No social life?.

Old 06-21-2007, 01:17 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
I find Social Life tends to revolve around family/kids, church and hobbies... lucky for me I have the last one...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California