Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2010, 10:34 AM

7,411 posts, read 10,401,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calisnuffy View Post
When the NAACP endorse things, sane people tend to run in the opposite direction.
Really? So endorsing civil rights for Black people was insane? Are you sure you don't live in Mississippi? Maybe you ought to return.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2010, 11:11 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,212,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCal Dude View Post
Its a shame the naacp has endorsed this. I would figure they would endorse young black men being law abiding and being productive vs selling dope or smoking blunts and still living and gramdma's.

What a pity

- A black male
maybe it's because they figure their young people are better off at grandma's than in jail???? last i heard there is not much productivity coming out of our state's prisons.

Old 07-08-2010, 11:53 AM

68 posts, read 167,516 times
Quote:
Its a shame the naacp has endorsed this. I would figure they would endorse young black men being law abiding and being productive vs selling dope or smoking blunts and still living and gramdma's.

What a pity

- A black male
after prop 19 goes into effect they will be "law abiding"

Old 07-08-2010, 11:59 AM

1,262 posts, read 1,303,284 times
Default Slavery is still legal in America, in prison

The 13th amendment exempts prisoners from anti-slavery laws. The drug laws have become the new Jim Crow laws, the prison has become the new plantation, and the warden has become the new overseer. America’s newest slaves aren’t picking cotton. They’re assembling computers (Dell), making women’s lingerie (Victoria's real Secret), booking airline flights over the phone, and doing all kinds of tasks that free Americans used to be employed at doing, and at a fraction of the cost. And since minorities are in prison more than whites, we're still enslaving the same people. Of course the NAACP should endorse a halt to the drug war, and so should our President.

Old 07-12-2010, 03:31 PM

1,500 posts, read 2,802,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
good point, I am not sure what NAACP and pot have to do with one another.

Nita
The NAACP is engaged in nationally advancing the image and stature of "colored" people. I think that their stance is poised to advance the "colored"
race and perhaps they have arrived at the logic that advancement just might mean that there is an element of unfairness in a system of government
that tends to continue to denegrate the black race by statistically highlighting the black man as irresponsible and sociologically below par. I'm 65 now,
and for all of my life I have seen more negative stereotyping of blacks than any other racial group. I read Newsday the very day that Emmet Till was
found hanging in a tree, I was there when Gov. George Wallace sicked dogs on those looking for parity with whites in Birmingham. I found much joy in
Rosa Parks and her valiant stand for racial equality.

My point is this: Black leaders are growing more and more disenchanted with the association of marijuana to black crime. Somehow, the picture here in
America has become overly darkened through the connoting label of crime when statisticating use of the weed. if America criminalized country clubs,
which class of people would be called the criminals? I love coffee and if my love for coffee doesn't impinge upon your right to drink tea, why would I
accept being labeled a criminal for drinking it? It has been hard enough for me to accept the gross misinterpretation of the black race but to use marijuana
as an example of the causative factor to make that determination, is ludicrous. In supporting the decriminalization of marijuana, I laud the NAACP but not
as much for their effort to discontinue the myth of the black man's usage of pot but more so of their desire to disassociate that link between crime
and the black man and the recreational use of pot, racial status notwithstanding.

Old 07-12-2010, 06:38 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,169,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilushka View Post
after prop 19 goes into effect they will be "law abiding"

So what? Does that make it okay? I see tons of black woman selling themselves on the street. If prostitution is legalized does that make it okay?

The liquor store has replaced the church as the gathering place and focal point of every lower income black community in the country. Its all legal, but does that make it some how better?

Black men who do nothing but sit around and smoke weed are not only a waste to our race, they are a waste to this country and to the world in general. If half these dudes put as much effort into getting an education as they do getting high and selling dope to pay for rims on their cars, we'd be having a neo harlem renissance on our hands. But of course no body wants that, not the esatblishment and certainly not alot of black folks, unfortunatly.

Old 07-12-2010, 10:45 PM

8,704 posts, read 11,133,513 times
There are plenty of black people doing well, and at no time in our history has it been better, but its not great.....the message has to be sent over and over. Its a very touchy subject. Young people in general including black males dont take to being called out very well. The net result of legalizing marijuana for young black men may be less jail time, but for the NAACP to come out with that as a reason to support it just defies logic.
Alot less people would be in jail if we decriminalized DWI's, armed robbery, and child molestation too.

Old 07-13-2010, 05:12 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,851,258 times
Quote:
So what? Does that make it okay? I see tons of black woman selling themselves on the street. If prostitution is legalized does that make it okay?

The liquor store has replaced the church as the gathering place and focal point of every lower income black community in the country. Its all legal, but does that make it some how better?

Black men who do nothing but sit around and smoke weed are not only a waste to our race, they are a waste to this country and to the world in general. If half these dudes put as much effort into getting an education as they do getting high and selling dope to pay for rims on their cars, we'd be having a neo harlem renissance on our hands. But of course no body wants that, not the esatblishment and certainly not alot of black folks, unfortunatly.
I love your attitude and style!!!

Nita

Old 07-16-2010, 11:35 AM

1,262 posts, read 1,303,284 times
Default Are you living in make believe land?

Quote:

Prostitution has been around since biblical times, it is not going away, no matter how many poor women you put in jail. It is not OK, but it also is not OK to keep doing what we are doing to these women. What legalizing prostitution would do would be to make these women safe. Right now they are the victums of every sickko out there and they put their lives in danger every time they get in to a car or go in to a motel room. Prison does NOTHING for these women. Legalizing their work would give them more money, better health care (stopping the spread of disease) and some stability in their lives. By keeping the status quo failed policies you offer these women NOTHING but pain, disease and death. Thanks for that. You can now go to church, look down on these poor women and tell God how righteous you are. Did you ever notice how the alcohol companies market some products specifically to black areas? The NAACP has and has fought against it. Alcohol causes more violence, death and poor health than all the illegal drugs combined. Do the research. If education were valued as much in the black community as it should be than "those dudes" would be in school. Instead cool rims and designer clothes are what gets the attention. If they were not "smoking weed" than they would be wasting time doing something else because unemployment ALWAYS hits the black man harder than anyone else. He is the last hired and the first let go. You are right about one thing, for over 200 years the "establishment" has not wanted black men to succeed, and they have done a good job making that a reality, but until the black community stands up and says that they are not going to allow the government to incarcerate its people at a higher rate than any other group for longer than other groups, even for comparable crimes, nothing will change. That change can start by saying no to the continued criminalization of cannabis, which, if you do the research, began in racism and fear of the Mexican immigrant and the Southern black musicians. The NAACP understands this. THey know the history. You should too.

Old 07-16-2010, 11:40 AM

205 posts, read 211,607 times
Quote:

The uncle tom speaks again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California