Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 08:37 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,021,443 times

Advertisements

I went shopping a short while ago at staters & all i can say is DAMN. Their prices sure have gone up big time. Fruits & vegtables are over priced as well as mostly everything else. Even the stater bros brand is high. Food 4 less & walmart is better priced then crater bros. I bought a marked down german chocolate cake for 3.50 (half off) & 2 cans of staters tuna for .69 ea. Walmart & food 4 less are in banning which is 11 miles away (22 miles round trip). My gas guzzler car gets only 15 mpg. So at 3.00 a gal it cost me about 5 bucks round trip. Overall i will save money. I rate staters a 3 out of 10 (10 is best). Vons, trader joes, albertsons & fresh n easy are worse then staters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2010, 08:51 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
There may be a light at the end of the tunnel

Tom Petruno: Skating closer to deflation - latimes.com

Old 07-17-2010, 10:51 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,021,443 times
Its just getting tougher & tougher for me to keep my head above water here. My rent just increased for the 11th time in 11 yrs & the dmv/ftb is threating to levy my bank account if i dont pay for the registration on my car that i havent driven in nearly a yr. They want 134.00 & they can kiss a fat ladys ass. Someday someone is going to go "postal" on the legislature, dmv & ftb. Its amazing how they get away with treating us like crap. State workers....UGH!!!!

Old 07-17-2010, 11:01 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,938,866 times
Ralphs is worse.

Old 07-17-2010, 11:03 AM

For the record, this is the 4th topic you've started about Stater Bros.

Old 07-17-2010, 11:38 AM

6,987 posts, read 21,925,882 times
After being in the Grocery trade for 23 yrs I could tear the OP post into shreds with his/her misunderstanding of the COST of a Grocery operation.

Staters is not to blame because the OP lives 11 miles from a mkt. Maybe the OP would like them to build a store across the street from the residence.

As to fruits/veggies is concerned...availability from the grower to a mkt determines some cost. Local could be cheaper then some things from South America...shipping is a factor.

As to can goods...here again price depends on the amount (cases) purchased and from where.

Every store has a overhead and COST of operation...payroll/rent being the two biggest costs. I could list all the costs involved but will save the space allowed here.

Sure...mkts are doing a lot of business with people buying all the groceries etc...just wait a minute...all that stuff has to be paid for after initial delivery...the stocking of shelves...wages of employees...now after all the expenses are paid what does a person think the profit margin is?...I will tell you for a fact it's VERY little.

As to the DMV... a small fee to show the car is a NON OP vehicle is the answer.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:01 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle7 View Post
I went shopping a short while ago at staters & all i can say is DAMN. Their prices sure have gone up big time. Fruits & vegtables are over priced as well as mostly everything else. Even the stater bros brand is high. Food 4 less & walmart is better priced then crater bros. I bought a marked down german chocolate cake for 3.50 (half off) & 2 cans of staters tuna for .69 ea. Walmart & food 4 less are in banning which is 11 miles away (22 miles round trip). My gas guzzler car gets only 15 mpg. So at 3.00 a gal it cost me about 5 bucks round trip. Overall i will save money. I rate staters a 3 out of 10 (10 is best). Vons, trader joes, albertsons & fresh n easy are worse then staters.
I don't think they are overpriced as much as the market demand. We see the same thing here. Yesterday I went into Wal-Mart mind you, for a couple of things cause I needed wine and they do have the best prices usually (I rarely actually shop there) Long story short, I could not beleive the prices and the quality is BAD!!! Our small local store is actually cheaper on many things, but it too has shot up like crazy in the past month or so.

Nita

Old 07-17-2010, 12:03 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
For the record, this is the 4th topic you've started about Stater Bros.
would rep you if I could. There are some people who just have problems seeing anything but the other side.

Nita

Old 07-17-2010, 12:15 PM

WinCo is easier on my wallet compared to Staters/Ralphs. Last week, Ralphs priced yellow onions at $1.89 a pound, compared to .89 a pound at Winco. Coffee Mate creamer in the bottle was $4.49, WinCo was $2.50. Hormel chili was $1.69, WinCo was .98. The WinCo prices are everyday prices, not sale items.

Guess where I shop...

Old 07-17-2010, 12:31 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,032,900 times
I was at WinCo last night. That place is DA BOMB!!! I swear ... that place is the Disneyland of grocery stores. If they'd let me live in there, I would. It's an understatement to say I LOVE that damn place!!!!! I don't think we've ever loaded up on snacks and good stuff like we did last night - EVER!!! k:

Now, I have so many good things to choose from, it's hard to make a decision. I'm going to stand in front of the pantry with the light on and the door open, and the fridge and freezer with both doors open for like an hour before I decide what I want!

Fontucky, my man ... check this out! Last night it was 109 at about 8pm when we went to Winco, and when we got out at about 9pm it was 107. I could be wrong, but I think that is the hottest it's ever been around here at night ... that I can recall, anyway.

Last edited by Twinkle Toes; 07-17-2010 at 12:32 PM.. Reason: I don't know how that "extra" face got put in the first paragraph with my "thumbs up" faces. Can't get rid of it either!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California