Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 10:35 PM

238 posts, read 696,154 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I will be heading to California for 2 weeks in May. We are planning to relocate to California from DC in January 2012 and want to scout the state to determine where to live in addition to checking out a few tourist areas. We've both been to parts of CA but never all of the major cities and hope the trip will help us decide whether to live in either San Fran or San Diego - our top two choices.

We plan on driving the entire state, probably spending a lot of the drive on the coastal highway, and stopping in Sacramento, San Fran, San Jose, LA, and San Diego in addition to the nearby towns. My question for the locals is where must we absolutely stop and what should we see?

A little about us... We're in our mid-twenties, working as a technology consultant and an architectural engineer, so we live a fairly comfortable life. We do not plan on buying a house for a few years nor having children, period. (Maybe a dog once we move in and get settled though!) One of us will be relocating with our current employer while another will be getting a new job once we've moved. Debt is very minimal. We're both very active people who love the outdoors, beaches, and sunshine.

Thanks for all of your help! Hope I wasn't too vague!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 08:36 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,682,084 times
focus on an area you are interested in. It would be really tough to
Quote:
We plan on driving the entire state
The state is a thousand miles long and three hundred miles wide.

Old 11-18-2010, 09:10 AM

We're only looking at places near/somewhat near the water - not interested in the inland areas. We want to focus mainly on the major cities but are looking to the locals (you guys!) to see what smaller cities/towns we should look into.

Old 11-18-2010, 05:05 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,682,084 times
Okay, by "near the water" I imagine you mean the ocean. That narrows it down. California has 1,200 miles of coastline, from Hawaii like beaches, to frigid rockbound coast abutting true rain forests.
It has wide sweeping beaches that run for miles, and mountains that rise 6,000 feet right off the ocean.

It has sprawling cities of millions of people and tiny fishing villages, it has harbors full of boats and bays destructive of boats.

It has fog, and it has fog.

There are two things consistent about the coast of California, fog and incredibly high priced real estate. Are you up for paying $400,000 for a trailer in a trailer park?

Old 11-18-2010, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Are you up for paying $400,000 for a trailer in a trailer park?
I'm from DC, there's no sticker shock when looking at ANY of your real estate as it's comparable. Here's a 1.6 million dollar townhome in the middle of the city, for example, Home for Sale at 1642 21st St Nw Washington DC - Real Estate Listings and Details - MLS #DC7446499 - Realtor.com® .

Can anyone offer up some helpful information in regards to the trip? What are some local places we should check out in Sacramento, San Fran, San Jose, LA, and San Diego?

Old 11-18-2010, 05:54 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,722,363 times
One of my favorite areas is San Luis Obispo and the surrounding area including Morro Bay, Cayucos and Pismo Beach.

www.sanluisobispocounty.com

Old 11-18-2010, 06:14 PM

1,651 posts, read 3,697,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequeño_Bonsai View Post
I'm from DC, there's no sticker shock when looking at ANY of your real estate as it's comparable. Here's a 1.6 million dollar townhome in the middle of the city, for example, Home for Sale at 1642 21st St Nw Washington DC - Real Estate Listings and Details - MLS #DC7446499 - Realtor.com® .
?

That's a $1.6 mil 2600 square foot completely renovated house right off Dupont Circle! You may not get sticker shock, but just wait until you see the neighbourhood/house condition/sq footage you get for your money in California

Old 11-19-2010, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gone down south View Post
That's a $1.6 mil 2600 square foot completely renovated house right off Dupont Circle! You may not get sticker shock, but just wait until you see the neighbourhood/house condition/sq footage you get for your money in California
Totally understand this. We've been to CA before I know the Bay area is outrageously expensive, for example. I just see a lot of posters on various CA forums highlight the high cost of living... This is an example to show that we have very similar COLs (even though the details of the living arrangements vary) so I'm not really concerned with that information. I'd like to focus on where to visit for the trip...

Old 11-19-2010, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by humboldtrat View Post
One of my favorite areas is San Luis Obispo and the surrounding area including Morro Bay, Cayucos and Pismo Beach.

www.sanluisobispocounty.com
Thank you for the information, humboldtrat!

Old 11-19-2010, 09:37 AM

559 posts, read 1,379,412 times
There have been many, many threads about must-see sights in California. Do an advanced search for keywords such as as "itinerary" or "sights" or "road trip." You'll want to restrict the search to the California forum and maybe select "Search Titles Only" to yield a manageable list. This will give you way more things to check out than you could possibly get from this single thread.

Is your employer relocating to only San Francisco or San Diego (i.e. excluding Los Angeles)? Is access to outdoor activities your primary criterion? Is ocean temperature important (California's water might be a lot colder than you are imagining and Bay Area is frostier than SD)? What about proximity to restaurants, music, museums, bars, etc.? Is public transportation important to you?

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California