Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 10:32 PM

2 posts, read 2,920 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all the informative replies so far. I am not familiar with either LA or Orange county. I've only been to California a couple times but never stayed long enough to make an assessment. If I move to Santa Monica I will have to get a job to help my parents pay rent. If I move to Fullerton I will be living with my aunt. Although I'm eager to grow up and live on my own, I do not want to waste their money for the sake of having fun. Despite my concern they are willing to help finance me for the time being. I will also be bringing my car down. I probably won't be driving it as much if I go to SM or am I mistaken.

In the meantime I will also be attending a community college. I'm a year behind my peers because I took a year off. I've already enrolled at both Fullerton College and Santa Monica College. The problem is at FC I'm unable to register for any classes that interest me. Supposedly their funding was cut short and being the last to pick doesn't really help either. At SMC I was able to get into all the classes that I wanted. For some reason being at a school with 40,000 other kids in my age group really appeals to me.
Until spots open up at FC I will have to overlook it. I am not interested in paying out of state tuition for a community college to take classes I don't even care about. My end goal is to hopefully transfer to either UCLA or USC. I am city person so I would like to stay in the confines of urban life.

My whole life I've lived in Illinois. I am going to California with no friends. Which is why my main concern is networking and meeting new people. I don't mean to sound arrogant but I grew up in a predominately wealthy neighborhood. I've been living in a huge bubble and pretty much all my friends are white. I don't want to come off as naive but usually people fit in best with other kids who grew up in the same environment. Since I've never spent any time in Fullerton I have no idea how it is. For the most part I can get along with anyone who is talented, humorous and chill. Do you think it would be better for me to go down near Huntington Beach or will I be okay. A person I know recommended either Golden West College or Orange Coast College.

Next what kind of lifestyle am I looking at if I go to Orange County. Are their legit clubs in Anaheim or is the night life mostly just house parties. I'm not really that interested in playing beer pong. I'd rather go to clubs and raves. Lastly I do have hopes to be in the entertainment industry. I'm not really looking to jump start my career right away but don't just want to pass up opportunity. For the time being I think it will be fun to chase around stars and be in the scene while I'm young and reckless. Would you say their are a lot of major venues in OC or do most performers just stay up in LA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 10:45 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,391,849 times
If economic concerns are tantamount than I would move in with relatives in Fullerton. You can take the Amtrak train from Fullerton to downtown LA in about 15 minutes and then get on the local light rail\ subway into Hollywood. Or just drive into Los Angeles for fun since it is no more than an hour's drive. Fullerton is a college town with some fun things to do. Huntington Beach\ Long Beach\ Laguna Beach would be so much more fun though. Part of living in California is getting accustom to people outside your experience\ comfort zone. A mid-westerner would feel safe and at home in Fullerton. But to really enjoy life [night clubs, beach, women] than Santa Monica is a world of difference. Being around different cultures\ mindsets in a very progressive community would be very stimulating, in my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California