Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2011, 11:28 AM

2,093 posts, read 4,696,977 times

Advertisements

As always, Derek, nice photos. Keep 'em coming. Maybe I missed it, but do you have any photos of Carmel or Cannery Row?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2011, 11:52 AM

8,214 posts, read 16,695,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
As always, Derek, nice photos. Keep 'em coming. Maybe I missed it, but do you have any photos of Carmel or Cannery Row?
Thanks Tim, I don't normally photograph Cannery Row itself, although I do have some shots of the coast in that area.

And I like Asilomar Beach in PG where I take more photos:

As Far as Carmel I normally shoot at Point Lobos which is between Carmel and Carmel Highlands for those who aren't familiar with the area. Its also great place to hike and whale watch.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 02-10-2011 at 12:02 PM..

Old 02-10-2011, 12:08 PM

Cool shots, Derek. The only thing I have that is close to a landscape photo of Monterey is the one below taken back in 2004. It was taken from the Seaside beach, next to the Best Western. I'll have to head out there with my 5D on my next trip to update my portfolio.

Old 02-10-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimC2462 View Post
Cool shots, Derek. The only thing I have that is close to a landscape photo of Monterey is the one below taken back in 2004. It was taken from the Seaside beach, next to the Best Western. I'll have to head out there with my 5D on my next trip to update my portfolio.
Nice shot Tim. That's funny that you shoot with a 5D. My current camera is the 5DII. As far as places to shoot, well you know there are endless opportunties. I like to do a lot of hiking and photography at Point Lobos and in Big Sur - Garrapata in particular.

Derek

Old 02-10-2011, 12:37 PM

The weather is a funny thing here even for ppl living in the area. Generally it is mild year round. But for some its on the cooler side of mild, especially for those living in a cooler pocket such as Marina, Pacific Grove or Pebble Beach where the fog is heaviest and tends to settle for longer periods. While some living in sun belt have a different experience. We found that to be true for our family as well. We moved from PG to the sunbelt and do notice a significant difference. There are times in the summer when I would drive home from work in the fog fom Seaside and then out into the sun to watch the sunset. Monterey County is truely the land of micro climates. So there are many options for ppl.

Derek

Old 02-10-2011, 12:38 PM

Last two shots are great. In all honestly, I can't recall how often we'd get nice weather in Monterey like the ones in your photo. But then again, I did live in Marina which earned the nickname Fog Town.

Yeah, I have had the 5D since 2008. The reason why I didn't do landscape photography back in 2004 was because I had the 1D classic at the time, which was used to take the photo I just posted. A CCD sensor that outputs 4MP isn't going to cut it.

Here's a recent one that I took with my 5D with the 24-70 f/2.8. 580ex II attached to shoot through umbrella.

Old 02-10-2011, 12:56 PM

wow Tim,

The detail and natural look in that shot are amazing. So now you just need to set one of those up along the Monterey Coast or in the Sierra Foothills just east of you for a killer landscape portrait. A friend of mine did one with his dog at Sunset near San Francisco (Rodeo Beach) - http://photo.net/photodb/photo?photo_id=7820514. It was one of the best animal protraits I've seen.

You know its funny you mentioned not remembering the sun. Yeah Marina is on the recieving side of the maximum fog for the Penninsula.

This Winter it has been sunny for so long I can't remember the last time we had fog or overcast. Basically we have had the Winter rains come with normal storm clouds and go which led way to longer periods of sunshine and Indian Summer weather. This last weekend for example was actually so warm it was hot inside our house. I was running around opening every door and window. The previous weekend our kids were playing at the beach in bathing suits and going in the water (partially of course).

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 02-10-2011 at 01:05 PM..

Old 02-10-2011, 06:05 PM

1,077 posts, read 3,236,883 times
I have never been to San Diego, so I'll put that disclaimer out there. But considering Monterey is my favorite place on earth, I doubt it would get displaced from that spot. Although Torry Pines did look stunning on TV a few weeks ago.

I guess it is a matter of preference, I like wearing pants and a light sweatshirt, some people want to wear shorts, flip flops and a tank top.

Old 02-11-2011, 10:32 AM

75 posts, read 319,477 times
To be honest Monterey sounds perfect for me. My ideal weather is 60 degrees. So if the average annual temp was 62 that would be great. When I spent time in San Diego (the place said to have the best weather year round) I kept thinking, "whats wrong with me? Why do I feel like this is too hot?". I know some people love warmer weather, Im just not one of them. Overcast, rain, ocean breeze? Yup thats what I love. I looked into OR and WA because I love cooler weather. But I really am starting to think Monterey is an area we would love to call home. I just cant believe the only place to find apartments would be craigs list. Thats pretty shocking.
Derek, I have to say, you take some amazing pictures. It looks like a wonderful place. How do you find the cost of living, say compared to SoCal?

Old 02-11-2011, 12:20 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,546,044 times
San Diego is a great city and I love it, but its a little too geographically isolated from the rest of the state to suit me. Monterey is closer to things I enjoy (in addition to being less hectic and prettier).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California