Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2011, 05:45 PM

2,209 posts, read 4,223,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
While I see the point you are making I don't find it relavant to the forum model at all. I belong to many forums covering a wide range of topics such as photography, autos, software engineering (which is my field), computers, mobile devices and many other areas of interest. In none of these forums does it or would it make sense simply to lump all things together in one big mush pot bucket. Forum members **never** complain about too many sub groupings. Without them its like walking into a messy house, department store, garage, etc... vs. an organized one. It's so much easier to find things when they are organized into logical groupings and sub areas within those groupings. Imagine walking into a hardware store looking for specific things like gloves and nails. But it turns out they are scattered throughout the store. Are they still there? Sure. But are they easy to find? No way! Its a mess.

This is especially the case with a location based forum in a state as large, highly populated and diverse as California. Do you want to know something about Monterey or Frenso when you are a newbee? Well good luck because right now the threads are buried many pages deep under political or other general complaint threads which have nothing to do with the area data one is interested in. Its a jumbled, disorganized mess IMO. And I try to help as many ppl as I can with Central Coast questions. But as I've tried in past to explain to Mods a logical grouping for places like the Central Coast or the Central Valley would prove very beneficial for people looking for things specific to these areas. Having them thrown in with everything else is like looking for a pair of socks in a big messy pile of clothes. You might get lucky, but probably not. And yes, of course ppl can use search. But thats still no excuse to not organize the data more logically based on primary areas/regions of interest.

If you or the other mods don't have time to work on these things why not bring in more mods who can help? I'd volunteer to help organize some of this California city/area data. Heck, I don't even need or care about the title. Its not like you or anyone gets paid to do the work or anything. I understand that.

Derek
What he said. Political/Social threads flood the California Forum from disgruntled Ex-Californians to California Cheerleaders. How many earthquake related threads do we have now?

Population growth in the Central Valley has grown, it needs its own sub-forum. There's been just as many inquiries to the Central Valley as there are of Ventura County, San Jose, and even Orange County. Florida has how many sub-forums again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2011, 07:40 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,072,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVitamin View Post
What he said. Political/Social threads flood the California Forum from disgruntled Ex-Californians to California Cheerleaders. How many earthquake related threads do we have now?
I agree.

Personally I'd like to see a "California Politics" subforum to move those discussions out of the general forum. The political threads degrade so fast anyway into bashing from both the left and right.

I always thought it was "City-Data.com Forum: Relocation, Moving, Local City Discussions", at least that is what the web site scripting says. I don't see state politics listed in there.

Quote:
Population growth in the Central Valley has grown, it needs its own sub-forum. There's been just as many inquiries to the Central Valley as there are of Ventura County, San Jose, and even Orange County. Florida has how many sub-forums again?
And Central Valley growth will rapidly continue. The region will be a major center of the state's growth over the next few decades.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:34 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,383,240 times
Quote:
While I see the point you are making I don't find it relavant to the forum model at all. I belong to many forums covering a wide range of topics such as photography, autos, software engineering (which is my field), computers, mobile devices and many other areas of interest. In none of these forums does it or would it make sense simply to lump all things together in one big mush pot bucket. Forum members **never** complain about too many sub groupings. Without them its like walking into a messy house, department store, garage, etc... vs. an organized one. It's so much easier to find things when they are organized into logical groupings and sub areas within those groupings. Imagine walking into a hardware store looking for specific things like gloves and nails. But it turns out they are scattered throughout the store. Are they still there? Sure. But are they easy to find? No way! Its a mess.

This is especially the case with a location based forum in a state as large, highly populated and diverse as California. Do you want to know something about Monterey or Frenso when you are a newbee? Well good luck because right now the threads are buried many pages deep under political or other general complaint threads which have nothing to do with the area data one is interested in. Its a jumbled, disorganized mess IMO. And I try to help as many ppl as I can with Central Coast questions. But as I've tried in past to explain to Mods a logical grouping for places like the Central Coast or the Central Valley would prove very beneficial for people looking for things specific to these areas. Having them thrown in with everything else is like looking for a pair of socks in a big messy pile of clothes. You might get lucky, but probably not. And yes, of course ppl can use search. But thats still no excuse to not organize the data more logically based on primary areas/regions of interest.

If you or the other mods don't have time to work on these things why not bring in more mods who can help? I'd volunteer to help organize some of this California city/area data. Heck, I don't even need or care about the title. Its not like you or anyone gets paid to do the work or anything. I understand that.

Derek
Totally agree with this. I've been a mod on forums and have admin-ed a few as well and if things are jumbled together, it's like shopping at Ross

Old 04-02-2011, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoFacts View Post
I agree.

Personally I'd like to see a "California Politics" subforum to move those discussions out of the general forum. The political threads degrade so fast anyway into bashing from both the left and right.

I always thought it was "City-Data.com Forum: Relocation, Moving, Local City Discussions", at least that is what the web site scripting says. I don't see state politics listed in there.

And Central Valley growth will rapidly continue. The region will be a major center of the state's growth over the next few decades.
Florida has a million forums. I agree we should have a Ca. politics sub-forum. It's not always possible to discuss Ca. without getting political at some point but shoving them over into cyber hell (politics forum) is never a good thing.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:38 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,693,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Totally agree with this. I've been a mod on forums and have admin-ed a few as well and if things are jumbled together, it's like shopping at Ross

Hahaaa, Exactly like shopping at Ross during the day after Christmas sale. Now try finding some shoes in your size. You can do that, but why?

Old 04-02-2011, 08:48 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,072,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Florida has a million forums. I agree we should have a Ca. politics sub-forum. It's not always possible to discuss Ca. without getting political at some point but shoving them over into cyber hell (politics forum) is never a good thing.
I agree. Many of the Calif Political threads would not be good for the full political forum. And yes talking about California does bring up politics in many ways.

But putting them in a California Politics subforum would make them available for those interested in California without getting lost in that mess that is the current political forum.

Since the number of California political posts on the general forum would seem to match the magic number needed for a state subforum here it would seem to make sense to have it.

That would leave the general forum for lots of other more useful discussions about California life, relocation, etc.

Old 04-02-2011, 08:55 PM

2,209 posts, read 4,223,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoFacts View Post
I agree. Many of the Calif Political threads would not be good for the full political forum. And yes talking about California does bring up politics in many ways.

But putting them in a California Politics subforum would make them available for those interested in California without getting lost in that mess that is the current political forum.

Since the number of California political posts on the general forum would seem to match the magic number needed for a state subforum here it would seem to make sense to have it.

That would leave the general forum for lots of other more useful discussions about California life, relocation, etc.
Or, leave the California forum open to whatever threads and have sub-forums covering the regions of California.

Something like this, more or less

http://www.labor.ca.gov/cedp/images/cedpregionsmap2.jpg (broken link)

Which would be still less than how many Florida has.

Last edited by BVitamin; 04-02-2011 at 09:05 PM..

Old 04-02-2011, 09:27 PM

8,214 posts, read 16,693,408 times
Quote:
Or, leave the California forum open to whatever threads and have sub-forums covering the regions of California.

Something like this, more or less

Which would be still less than how many Florida has.
Yes, I like this. It at least gives some representation to significant California regions which are currently ignored.

So far SoCal has the majority of coverage and is fine left as it is: San Diego, Orange County, LA, San Bernardino & Riverside and Ventura. Yet that leaves both Central and Northern Cal with nothing more than the Bay area and Sac. forums. Huge swaths of land and cities which are larger than many states are simply ignored and jumbled together in a hodgepodge mess in the general forum. That is not very functional for those living in these regions along with many others asking for city/region specific data about them.

Derek

Old 04-02-2011, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Yes, I like this. It at least gives some representation to significant California regions which are currently ignored.

So far SoCal has the majority of coverage and is fine left as it is: San Diego, Orange County, LA, San Bernardino & Riverside and Ventura. Yet that leaves both Central and Northern Cal with nothing more than the Bay area and Sac. forums. Huge swaths of land and cities which are larger than many states are simply ignored and jumbled together in a hodgepodge mess in the general forum. That is not very functional for those living in these regions along with many others asking for city/region specific data about them.

Derek
I'd put San Benito and Santa Cruz Counties with central coast and leave SD and Imperial with SoCal but otherwise, makes sense to me.

Old 04-02-2011, 10:12 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,943,651 times
If we had sub forums for every area/city...there would be very little discussion on City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California