Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 04:36 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,780,981 times

Advertisements

In a weird sort of way $10 a gallon gas may be the best thing that ever happens to us. It will force people to more seriously consider alternate transportation solutions and renewable energy.

I mean, let's face it, the only reason we need Israel is because of oil (once you get past the Jewish vote, we need a friend in the Middle East who can act as our surrogates there, especially with regard to intelligence). If we no longer need foreign oil that changes our whole relationship with the Middle East (let those mofos kill each other, who cares?) and makes us far less of a target for terrorist groups on the make.

However, the economy will take a big hit in the short term. That won't be fun. But then again, no pain, no gain, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 09:49 AM

5,113 posts, read 5,969,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahthatguy View Post
I'm African American... and Obama is an idiot. Get over your delusions of grandeur.. Let me guess.. you're white.
As for 'Setsuko'.. SLV/IAG/GLD/MCP .. chart the year on those.. My clarity on reality not only helps me argue points better.. It's quite profitable..
Maybe you should spend less time w/ the personal attacks and more time understanding the reality others are familiar w/. I'm doing just great. It's just the people perpetually lost that worry me.. because you seem to be growing in number and influence ... dumb influence on this country... and I wonder what kind of country my kids will be brought up in when it consist of a bunch of people who make excuses for failure .. who don't like to hold people accountable for failure .. and who berate those who dare point it out.

Grown arse adults who give up and say there is nothing that can be changed or done by them .. who not only give up on themselves but urge others w/ the spirit and hope to do so to give up as well.. So yeah, I'm doing fine just thanks ... Financially and success wise... But unlike the other selfish people in the world.. I get that all the money in the world wont do a thing if this country is filled w/ idiots...
Idiots who sit around trying to make other people idiots .. Idiots that don't care to try to put an ounce of energy to problems beyond their pay checks... Idiots who couldn't give a dam. So excuse me sir for trying to bring information/knowledge to the clouded debate...

If you have been paying to anything I have been saying, you'd understand that I pointed to a group of folks who have worked under bush and both Obama... Pointed to an entity of government that has had its hand in every bubble ... every penny of inflation ... and as it relates to this discussion on gas, tremendously impacted not only the price of oil.. but the price of sugar.. the price of cocoa.. the price of wheat .. titanium, thorium.. you name it.. and they are the true problem. Knowing of this problem you can tell others about it .. and you can understand that when they print $2 trillion dollars under to consecutive quantitative easing events that it will cause inflation.. and lots of it.. so you can tell others to prepare.. you can invest/trade this understanding and you can accurately inform people of the true mechanism that is causing the pain.. Else, yeah.. people will run around believe sock puppets .. scream.. my Republican president was better than your democratic president .. and visa versa... and miss out on the true and big picture. So yeah, sorry this makes you want to attack me on a personal level .. Sorry this makes you want to call me an angry little kid.. Sorry that life has been so tough on you grown adult that you don't care anymore.
The federal reserve is a big problem ... and it's supposed to prevent asset bubbles ....

When you have a revolving door between Wall Street, big banks, government and the fed ... you have a recipe for disaster.

Old 04-09-2011, 09:57 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,221,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
If and when it ever does, the nation will be in a such a disastrous situation that it would make the recent problems look like the good old days. Runaway inflation coupled with an economic collapse would create chaos. Ten bucks a gallon? Would not take that, five bucks would send us into sharp stagflation. Four dollars a gallon, which we have now, has already contributed to inflation. Higher fuel costs translates to higher transfortation costs, which then means higher prices for everything. The USA is not Europe. Our cities are much farther apart, our infrastructure is much different, and we drive much, much farther on a per capita basis than do the Euros. We could not endure their higher gasoline costs.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
If and when it ever does, the nation will be in a such a disastrous situation that it would make the recent problems look like the good old days. Runaway inflation coupled with an economic collapse would create chaos. Ten bucks a gallon? Would not take that, five bucks would send us into sharp stagflation. Four dollars a gallon, which we have now, has already contributed to inflation. Higher fuel costs translates to higher transfortation costs, which then means higher prices for everything. The USA is not Europe. Our cities are much farther apart, our infrastructure is much different, and we drive much, much farther on a per capita basis than do the Euros. We could not endure their higher gasoline costs.
$10 a gallon would have a significant impact but then again gas prices is just one of many major problems our country is facing. We also see food prices skyrocketing, healthcare/insurance, taxes, and so on. At the same time the housing market continues to implode, more foreclosures, more bankruptcies, more companies closing down, more unemployment, and more people living below the poverty line. I have not even mentioned the decimation of our military and our countries aerospace and high technology infrastructure and the loss of our countries research and development programs. Other than that life is great!

Old 04-10-2011, 09:03 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,858,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don9 View Post
Gas does not need to be expensive. It's only expensive because of corrupt politicians and big business. ...
Someone's been watching too much Rachel Maddow.

Old 04-10-2011, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Someone's been watching too much Rachel Maddow.
I don't even know who Rachel Maddow is ... maybe you can tell us ...

I research the issues and base my opinions on the results. I always stay away from political biased content and I try to find multiple sources and look for consensus.

Old 04-10-2011, 01:50 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,027,811 times
I'm waiting for $20/gallon ...... bring it on!

Old 04-10-2011, 02:38 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,546,775 times
Good, I hope it happens sooner rather than later. I'll admit I'm feeling the pinch but I can make do. I'll walk to work & school (~45 min), take the bus/rail elsewhere. It's so annoying hearing people whining about rising gas prices. This is what you get for working in Oakland...but living in Marin. Getting a job in Santa Clara...then buying a house in San Leandro 'coz it's cheaper. Moving to San Francisco...then finding a job in Morgan Hill (or vice versa).

Maybe demand for public transit will finally increase & gridlock will cease & they'll start improving every city's crappy systems. Gas has hit $4 before & we could've shown them in fare revenue, but we blew it. I guess it'll need to be a few bucks higher.

In an ideal world, all the gas stations of the US would get together and raise prices to $10 before another mess in the middle east causes the price oil to skyrocket & forces them to raise it to that much. If the price of gas is going to go up, I'd much rather the money stay here than go to the middle east.

Old 04-10-2011, 03:36 PM

13 posts, read 24,604 times
Nothing..

Old 04-10-2011, 06:10 PM

9,894 posts, read 22,017,573 times
Gas is up to $4.06 a gal here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California