Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 05:50 PM

22 posts, read 76,155 times

Advertisements

Make sure you get a taste of California by checking out the salsa clubs in L.A.!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2007, 10:26 PM

9 posts, read 73,188 times
Default things to see

In San Fran you will find plenty of clubs, fisherman's wharf, china town, huge asian arts museum, umm the Ghiradelli center for ice cream and chocolate, then there is alcatraz, drive down the windiest street ever then head out and check out Santa Cruz like others mentioned, great fun party beach and boardwalk with lots of college kids. Are you coming alone?

Big Sur State Park is pretty neat it has the largest redwood trees I think in the world or U.S. It's near Santa Cruz so maybe you could find a place to stay around there. Monterey is pretty but to me it's more a city for romantic dates or family town during the day for the huge aquarium. Laguna Beach is nice and LA for obvious things..Hollywood, Disneyland, famous clubs (almost impossible to get into) and down into San Diego for more beach, clubs, famous San Diego Zoo, SeaWorld and such. In a week that basically leaves about a day per city and San Fran, LA and San Diego probably require a few days each to make it worth it depending what you do.

Oh yeah bring plenty of money, a drink in a club can be close to $10 or more, hotels in each of these cities will be over $100 per night and if you are renting a car and driving the cost of gas will kill you. For a week of traveling I'd say at least $1000 for the basics unless you sleep in the car or pitch a tent somewhere (illegal on the beaches).

Someone mentioned Yosemite but it's a few hours out of the way and you will have to drive northeast to get there. Worth it but not a day trip and the opposite of the way you are headed. I think I wrote too much. Good luck and have fun.

Old 08-01-2007, 07:28 AM

1,904 posts, read 2,441,758 times
Consider your mileage. Distances are great. From SF to LA is somewhere around 450 miles. Which will eat up a day.

If you are flying into SF, there is more than enough to keep you busy in the Bay area. Santa Cruz and Monterey down into Big Sur, a coffee at Nepenthe is a world class experience. Yosemite is a few hours east, Yosemite Valley is spectacular, but pretty urban.

North CA beaches have cold water, South CA beaches have warmer water and lots of people.

It can be lonely traveling solo, I have found that staying in youth hostels is a great way to find companions. The Fort Mason Hostel in SF is a great place. In my younger single days I would leave the mountains to visit SF (easily the finest city in America to spend time in). I would stay at Fort Mason where I would often meet travelers (read, young women) to hang out with. If you have a car, the international backpacker crowd will be your friends.

Old 08-01-2007, 07:37 AM

69 posts, read 448,718 times
[quote=jennb;1184370] Are you coming alone?

Yes I am coming alone and I have $1000 dollars saved for the trip though im gonna sleep in the car mostly to save money. I'm hoping to have some fun and meet some nice people (lol by this I mean women of course). Yosemite was recommended for me to see though I'm going to be going from San Francisco down to L.A so I probably will not get around to that. Are there any specific places to go to meet some people? Thanks again everyone

Old 08-01-2007, 07:45 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times
My recommendations (going north to south) would be San Francisco itself, Santa Cruz, Carmel, Santa Barbara, Santa Monica and Laguna Beach.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:14 AM

1 posts, read 2,478 times
hey i am going on a trip to california for 3 weeks what are the sites to see and where do you find tours around california ?

Old 08-26-2009, 09:04 AM

43,669 posts, read 44,406,521 times
[quote=Michigan_Man;1185604]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennb View Post
Are you coming alone?

Yes I am coming alone and I have $1000 dollars saved for the trip though im gonna sleep in the car mostly to save money. I'm hoping to have some fun and meet some nice people (lol by this I mean women of course). Yosemite was recommended for me to see though I'm going to be going from San Francisco down to L.A so I probably will not get around to that. Are there any specific places to go to meet some people? Thanks again everyone
I read on the L.A. forum that in L.A. it is illegal to sleep in one's car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California