Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 11:59 AM

4,932 posts, read 12,761,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
How do we know what you know? You asked a question and people are responding with their knowledge. Maybe be a little less snappy in response.

Second, it sounds like you have it figured out. Why ask?

My opinion is that teaching is the better profession. I have a Bachelors degree in City Planning and am aware of the specifics of that field and market. Unless you rise to the highest ranks of planning, in which there aren't many positions, then teaching is the better career. Especially if you want to help people and don't care about NCLB, as you claim.
Oh well I didn't mean to be snippy. I am truly sorry. I talk with Highnlite quite often and he lives where I am looking to work. He keeps trying to get me into firefighting.

Now I am looking into Special education teaching. Not enough jobs in ESL.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 02:26 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,073,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
Now I am looking into Special education teaching.
Special ed is tough, but someone with that specialty has a little more job opportunity versus a general teaching credential. I know an experienced teacher from Arizona with a special ed background who just got hired to start at a California district this fall.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoFacts View Post
Special ed is tough, but someone with that specialty has a little more job opportunity versus a general teaching credential. I know an experienced teacher from Arizona with a special ed background who just got hired to start at a California district this fall.
Yeah there are alot of openings for teacher's aid and special ed teachers in SLO county.

I guess first I need my BA in English, then have to take the CBEST, then get into the special ed teacher credential program at Cal Poly SLO, and then get a job.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:05 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,086,413 times
There's a reason there are a lot of openings for special ed teachers. It's a very tough job that takes a certain kind of person. You have to be that person in order to succeed.

By the way, to the comment about ESL being necessary, I went to a district that had a high number of non-English speakers. They weren't put into ESL, and they happened to learn the language just fine most of the time.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:42 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,474,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the city View Post
Don't worry about a place to live for me, that is taken care of.

And yeah I know the pay isn't good I am just asking if there would be an opening when the economy is better. And HighNLite, like you said I should get into a major where my strengths are, and planning has math which is my weakness. I know teaching is what you didn't have in mind instead of planning. But that is what I want to do and I want to teach English or ESL.

I don't care if I don't get the best pay and all that. It is the joy of helping out the younger generation and hope students are more prepared after high school than I was.
Planning does not require a lot of math. The highest math required for the degree was statistics when I was in school (10 years ago) and the highest math you will use on the job is basic math. Maybe trigonometry - maybe and very rarely.

[stick with Planning]

Old 04-22-2011, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
Planning does not require a lot of math. The highest math required for the degree was statistics when I was in school (10 years ago) and the highest math you will use on the job is basic math. Maybe trigonometry - maybe and very rarely.

[stick with Planning]

That was a very kind post. Some schools only require statistics, but Cal Poly SLO requires College Algebra and then finance type classes. And I have no desire to leave to go to college in the bigger city or get a job in the city.

Old 04-23-2011, 08:03 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,684,265 times
Special Ed well, lets take a look at it. You can probably get a job tomorrow as an instructional assistant with San Luis County Department of Education.
San Luis Obispo County Office of Education

Try it, or observe in a classroom, before you commit. Remember I said something about working long hours as a teacher? If you are going into Sped add two hours onto the 8-10, for paperwork and meetings with parents, you will be expected to be the lead in those sometimes heated meetings.

Parents will want you to "fix" their child, you can't, and now the sparks can fly, and you can drown in the paperwork.

Now, I recommend firefighting because of the good pay and the time to do other stuff, like run rivers, or ski, or rock climb, but, here are a couple of options.
Like I mentioned before I think.
My son is a Junior at UC Davis, thinking about GIS.com |
Daughter 1 is earth sciences, a tremendous need for that and hydrology in the private sector
Daughter 2 Anthro and Geography, will likely get a doctorate and teach at the college level.

These are all things you too can do, don't "settle". If you have a passion for something, chase it, you only get one shot in this life, you best do it right.

Old 04-23-2011, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Special Ed well, lets take a look at it. You can probably get a job tomorrow as an instructional assistant with San Luis County Department of Education.
San Luis Obispo County Office of Education

Try it, or observe in a classroom, before you commit. Remember I said something about working long hours as a teacher? If you are going into Sped add two hours onto the 8-10, for paperwork and meetings with parents, you will be expected to be the lead in those sometimes heated meetings.

Parents will want you to "fix" their child, you can't, and now the sparks can fly, and you can drown in the paperwork.

Now, I recommend firefighting because of the good pay and the time to do other stuff, like run rivers, or ski, or rock climb, but, here are a couple of options.
Like I mentioned before I think.
My son is a Junior at UC Davis, thinking about GIS.com |
Daughter 1 is earth sciences, a tremendous need for that and hydrology in the private sector
Daughter 2 Anthro and Geography, will likely get a doctorate and teach at the college level.

These are all things you too can do, don't "settle". If you have a passion for something, chase it, you only get one shot in this life, you best do it right.
I still like the idea of teaching. But tomorrow I am going to talk to some one with an English major and see what else I can do.

Unfortunately, planning died with math and I would have to live in a city to find work. It's possible I could find something else I like besides city planning and teaching.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:05 PM

6,390 posts, read 9,684,265 times
Every town has planners, small and large, AG has had a vacancy.
Teaching sucks (didn't used to, does now)

English majors are highly mentally organized, they make great employees in nearly any field.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .highnlite View Post
Every town has planners, small and large, AG has had a vacancy.
Teaching sucks (didn't used to, does now)

English majors are highly mentally organized, they make great employees in nearly any field.
Yeah, but you have to be well-qualified to become a planner in this area because everyone wants to live and work here. It used to be though any Cal Poly planning grad could get a job, but no so much now.

Besides teaching becoming a manager of some store is a idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California