Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 08:05 PM

7 posts, read 23,694 times

Advertisements

I am going to college in CA and i want to change my license from an Illinois to a California license. is this possible with me living in a dorm room to change my id, what do i need to do at the dmv or what do i need to bring?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 10:10 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,622,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tindell View Post
I am going to college in CA and i want to change my license from an Illinois to a California license. is this possible with me living in a dorm room to change my id, what do i need to do at the dmv or what do i need to bring?
Bring proof of address, birth certificate and old license. Address can be from phone bill or any utility.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:37 PM

134 posts, read 525,893 times
you will have to take a written test, pay a license fee. Housing contract should be enough proof as well.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freezer41 View Post
you will have to take a written test, pay a license fee. Housing contract should be enough proof as well.
even if my parents live out of state and i have an Illinois license

Old 04-27-2011, 02:23 AM

315 posts, read 366,879 times
I think so, but I also think it's just the same test teens take to get their permit. They have handbooks available at the DMV and probably online. Just read through it for a few days and you'll be fine.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:25 AM

6,390 posts, read 9,688,564 times
Are you paying in state or out of state tuition? If you are paying out of state, you probably cannot get a CA license.
Quote:
How to apply for a driver license if you are over 18

If you are a visitor in California over 18 and have a valid driver license from your home state or country, you may drive in this state without getting a California driver license as long as your home state license remains valid.

If you become a California resident, you must get a California driver license within 10 days. Residency is established by voting in a California election, paying resident tuition, filing for a homeowner’s property tax exemption, or any other privilege or benefit not ordinarily extended to nonresidents.
If you have declared residency but do not have a CA license, you are already in trouble.
If you declare residency you will be subject to CA income tax, if your parents claim you as a dependent in Illinois you may have a tax problem or you may create a tax problem for your parents.

Driver License and Identification (ID) Card Information

Old 04-27-2011, 09:12 AM

1,687 posts, read 6,075,361 times
You should be able to obtain the CA license even if you are living in the dorm.

However if your intent is to establish residency to try to reduce your tuition costs, be aware in your situation that a CA license will not be enough to help you establish tuition residency.

The University of California system has a summary of its requirements for California resident status to obtain in-state tuition at:
http://www.ucop.edu/ogc/documents/ten-things.pdf
The CSU system and California Community Colleges have similiar requirements.

Old 04-27-2011, 09:35 AM

yea i dont want it to establish residency or to pay instate tuition i want it for other reasons

Old 04-27-2011, 10:12 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,541,466 times
Just be prepared to wait at LEAST 2 months to get your California license, even after you sign up for it. I just had to renew my driver's license (as did several other people I know), and CA is rolling out new Drivers Licenses. And of course the result is a complete (and usual) CA government cluster****.

I sent in my check and renewal notice in the first week of February, and I got my license last week. (Of course, they cashed my check the first week of February).

Old 04-27-2011, 04:41 PM

315 posts, read 366,879 times
I got my new license earlier this year, I think it only took three weeks. And it's not like they don't issue you a temp. one in the meantime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California