Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 01:42 PM

1 posts, read 11,018 times

Advertisements

I'm planning on moving to California within the next couple years and was wondering what the dating scene is like for a heterosexual male in these 3 cities. I am a 20, and will be registered nurse making about $40,000 to $50,000 a year once I'm done will college. I am currently interested in Santa Monica, Santa Barbara and San Francisco Bay Area. If anyone has any information on the pros and cons of these cities such as cost of living, housing, crime and social life, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 02:35 PM

936 posts, read 3,190,345 times
san francisco and santa monica are gay havens. choose santa barbara!

Old 02-15-2008, 02:48 PM

48,121 posts, read 21,999,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCali4LifeSD View Post
san francisco and santa monica are gay havens. choose santa barbara!
Who knows maybe you'd find you were in demand, there are hundreds of thousands of straight women in San Francisco; if this quote is correct, you might find yourself a prized commodity.

Really I don't think there is any city where a straight or a gay guy can't have a social life! Perhaps a bit more difficult for a gay guy some places, but believe me, not impossible.

Old 02-15-2008, 05:14 PM

36,655 posts, read 67,506,468 times
San Francisco.

There are lots of attractive straight people there-maybe too many. LOL

Old 02-16-2008, 06:40 PM

5,717 posts, read 16,347,216 times
SF is hardly gay-only.

Old 02-17-2008, 10:25 AM

10 posts, read 68,442 times
Coming from a straight female living in San Francisco - myself and work colleagues I've chatted with agree that it's pretty difficult to build a good social life in SF. The people are nice but most have already found there cliques and aren't looking to make new friends. However, could be different for a 20 year-old; younger sometimes equals more laid back. Worthy of note: most SF women really have it together so make sure you do too to level the playing field!

Old 02-17-2008, 10:54 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,366,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by troupermca View Post
Worthy of note: most SF women really have it together so make sure you do too to level the playing field!
What exactly does that mean...have it really together? That they are a rigid, accomplished, and tough biotch? C'mon. I think that a lot of accomplished urban women are their own worst enemies and that's why men don't gravitate toward them...arrrgh...they've lost touch with the fact that they can be an intelligent career woman and still be feminine. Le'ts not derail but I couldn't resist sniping at your arrogance.

BACK TO THE QUESTION AT HAND:

San Francisco - you have the sheer numbers there. I'm sure you would find your niche. Why not consider somewhere else in the Bay Area that isn't as congested? I think that QOL in SF isn't the best.

Santa Barbara - small and pretentious, it's a haven for the wealthy and those who cater to them, for the most part. I think the social scene would be small.

Santa Monica - it's a suburb of LA but its own jurisdiction. It has been basking in the glow of trendiness for about 10+ years, taking that distinction from Westwood Village which I have always liked more. I am an LA native. Personally, I would opt for the South Bay in LA if I were you (that is, Manhattan / Hermosa / Redondo Beach). The vibe is better. You can always go to SM for what you need. Santa Monica = gay, as one post said? I doubt it. You are probably thinking Santa Monica Boulevard as it runs through West Hollywood. Now that's a different story. Santa Monica, the city of, is "Gen X - Gen Y - post collegiate" urban professionals, for the most part.

For a nicer California existence, try the South Bay of LA, maybe Long Beach or even San Diego. I think those would be better choices for easier living for the new arrival. And welcome to Cali.

Old 02-17-2008, 10:31 PM

110 posts, read 752,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
Santa Barbara - small and pretentious, it's a haven for the wealthy and those who cater to them, for the most part. I think the social scene would be small..
that is a stereotype & not true at all

yes there are many wealthy in santa barbara & there are many who are not

for someone who is 20, it could be a great place to live- there are many ucsb & sbcc students in santa barbara

when it comes to buying a home however, the prices may be out of reach for most people

Old 02-18-2008, 10:09 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,482,904 times
$40,000-$50,000 in So Cal? Good luck! Something isnt right with that pay range. i am a retired RN who worked most of his career on the central coast of California and my last year of work I made $104,000. It takes alot of $ to live a halfway decent life in California. Dont settle for that amount. There are plenty of hospitals that will pay you more. Even just starting out. Although it may make a difference that i have an MSN. Good luck!

Old 02-18-2008, 08:45 PM

45 posts, read 295,323 times
If you are good looking (be honest now) and not a preppy jock kind of person Santa Monica all the way
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California