Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2011, 09:29 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,248,190 times

Advertisements

Arriving in LA!

Basically what I want to do is visit LA and surrounding areas, San Diego and area and then have a road trip to San Francisco traveling through Highway 1.

I put together what I would do the first few days. I was hoping some people would give me some tips on places to see and eat.

Any help would be greatly appreciated .

Thanks!

http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/3379/day1k.th.jpg (broken link)
http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/4775/day2x.th.jpg (broken link)
http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/6681/day3l.th.jpg (broken link)
http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/9508/day4.th.jpg (broken link)
http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/8195/day5g.th.jpg (broken link)
http://img855.imageshack.us/img855/9508/day4.th.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2011, 11:24 AM

7,372 posts, read 16,019,677 times
It really depends on what your interests are. I'm always amazed at people who don't know CA expecting to find something interesting in L.A. I've always done my best to avoid the place.
Not that there aren't some nice things there, but it's not what I consider the best of CA. For a lot of Californians (me included), some of the best of CA is on the Central Coast. Between Santa Barbara and Monterey, you'll find some some beautiful coastline, nice towns, wineries, hiking trails, etc...
Yosemite National Park is another highlight not to miss, although summer is the worst time, due to the crowds. Gold Country, San Francisco, the redwoods....
If you want to hang out with the 20-something crowd and SoCal surf, then go explore the San Diego coast, especially Ocean Beach and Mission Beach.
What are your interests?

Old 06-11-2011, 11:35 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,955,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
I'm always amazed at people who don't know CA expecting to find something interesting in L.A.
This is the first time I've seen you make a retarded statement.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:47 AM

5,381 posts, read 8,691,467 times
Since you plan to visit both LA and San Diego before making a trip to San Francisco, why not stay somewhere midway between the two, like in Laguna Beach or Dana Point?

Laguna Beach
YouTube - ‪Laguna Beach Scenery‬‏

Laguna Beach, another perspective:
YouTube - ‪Laguna Beach‬‏

Stop off at San Juan Capistrano, Orange County on your way down to San Diego:
YouTube - ‪Mission San Juan Capistrano‬‏

Mission San Juan Capistrano:
YouTube - Mission San Juan Capistrano California

While in Capistrano, walk down the street from the Mission and visit the Old Barn Antiques Mall. It’s a huge funky collection of antique stalls and parlors (Pandora’s is just one of many) guaranteed to take you back in time.
YouTube - ‪Pandora's Parlor‬‏

Last edited by pacific2; 06-11-2011 at 12:23 PM..

Old 06-11-2011, 12:12 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,019,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
This is the first time I've seen you make a retarded statement.
OK, I'll clarify, but I won't deny my retardedness. I've met people who only come to CA to see L.A., as if the rest of the state didn't merit any time at all.
Of course there are lots of things to see and do in L.A., but, if I were showing somebody around the area, there's a lot of ugly to be filtered out.
Getting from point A to point B has always been such a pain in the ass because of traffic problems, that seeing the sights involves two hours of hassle for every half hour of fun. OK, for L.A. touring: J. Paul Getty Museum, Olvera Street, Griffith Observatory, Venice (for the weirdness), La Brea Tar Pits, a walk along Rodeo, Rancho Palos Verdes drive....among other places.
For me though, a two-week tour would emphasize the less developed parts of the state.

Old 06-11-2011, 12:42 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,955,069 times
Yeah, but most people from elsewhere have to get the "Hollywood" thing out of their system before they venture into the hinterlands where the real beauty is.

Old 06-11-2011, 12:46 PM

5,381 posts, read 8,691,467 times
Quote:
Yeah, but most people from elsewhere have to get the "Hollywood" thing out of their system before they venture into the hinterlands where the real beauty is.
So true, and then you hear, That’s Hollywood !!!???”

Old 06-11-2011, 02:00 PM

43,674 posts, read 44,416,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snort View Post
Not that there aren't some nice things there, but it's not what I consider the best of CA. For a lot of Californians (me included), some of the best of CA is on the Central Coast. Between Santa Barbara and Monterey, you'll find some some beautiful coastline, nice towns, wineries, hiking trails, etc...
Yosemite National Park is another highlight not to miss, although summer is the worst time, due to the crowds. Gold Country, San Francisco, the redwoods....
When traveling up the coast, I would suggest visiting the Hearst Castle, Carmel (with its beautiful white sandy beach/coastline), the Monterey Aquarium & the Santa Cruz boardwalk.

When you are in the San Francisco Bay Area, I would also visit Sausalito.

Old 06-11-2011, 08:12 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,805,860 times
Quote:
Not me, Fontucky.

I hain't never beeeeeen in no Holly-wooood.

I've been to L.A. twice. I noticed enough "Hollywood attitude," as I've read about on this forum, just in Burbank. I'm not a huge TV or movie buff and don't see the need to go, "I'm from Kentucky, ya'll, and I'm a-gawna be on the tay-vay. Whoo-hoo!"

Entertainment might be the third largest industry in California and important to L.A., but L.A. is really a working class, blue collar city at its roots. (Although I'm sure there as in many places across the country that is gradually fading away. Sad.)

What have I done that I like? Just from memory, in SoCal:
Getty Center (may not be advisable this trip b/c of 405 reconstruction)
Newport Beach, including Balboa Peninsula and Balboa Island
Topanga Canyon Boulevard drive from the 101 to PCH
Downtown Burbank
Old Town Pasadena
Reagan Library and Museum

Otherwise, I've done and like:
Yosemite National Park
Bodie
Jamestown
St. Helena, Calistoga and some of the small wine country towns
Golden Gate Bridge
SF-Oakland Bay Bridge
Embarcadero (San Francisco)
Just walking throughout San Francisco neighborhoods like the Presidio, Fillmore, etc.
Big Sur
San Luis Obispo
Solvang

Old 06-12-2011, 06:10 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,248,190 times
thanks for the replies everyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California