Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 12:44 PM

10 posts, read 12,513 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I have been thinking about moving to CA for a while now, but aren't quite sure where to start looking. Our lease runs out next summer so we still have a while, but I'm trying to get an idea of what areas might be good for us. We're both 22, so cost is definitely the most important issue. I've been doing some research and Riverside seems to be a decent place and reasonably priced. We're trying to find somewhere in the southern ca area, close to a city, but I know that might bring the cost up too. Please let me know if you have any recommendations
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2011, 12:50 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Why do you want to move to CA?

Old 07-12-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Why do you want to move to CA?
We have both lived in Pennsylvania our entire lives and are looking for a change. We really want to get away from the cold winter weather. My dad used to live in Arizona so we were looking there and New Mexico a little too, but they just weren't quite what we were looking for. We don't want to live somewhere very rural, and a friend of mine lived in CA for a while and absolutely loved it.

Old 07-12-2011, 02:47 PM

805 posts, read 1,559,003 times
Where will your jobs be located?

Old 07-12-2011, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckodeirish View Post
Where will your jobs be located?
Right now I waitress and do freelance makeup, and my boyfriend is a manager at a Goodwill, so I don't think it will be too hard to find a job in any specific location.

Old 07-12-2011, 03:25 PM

3,735 posts, read 8,069,183 times
Britany12, CA is VERY expensive place to live. Do you have family here? I don't suggest anyone moving in this economy unless they have a job lined up. Why not just plan small vacations here instead? Have you looked at what you can make here for what you and your boyfriend do, what your monthly expenses would be (mainly rent, utilities, food, and gas prices), do you have money saved up in case you don't find a job and or get laid off, do you have money in case you want to move back? Then you are moving with a boyfriend can you support yourself if things don't work out between the two of you? Please take a close look at what you want to do. Am not trying to down your dreams, just giving you things to think about.

Old 07-12-2011, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayarea-girl View Post
Britany12, CA is VERY expensive place to live. Do you have family here? I don't suggest anyone moving in this economy unless they have a job lined up. Why not just plan small vacations here instead? Have you looked at what you can make here for what you and your boyfriend do, what your monthly expenses would be (mainly rent, utilities, food, and gas prices), do you have money saved up in case you don't find a job and or get laid off, do you have money in case you want to move back? Then you are moving with a boyfriend can you support yourself if things don't work out between the two of you? Please take a close look at what you want to do. Am not trying to down your dreams, just giving you things to think about.
I understand it's very expensive to live there. I've been living with my boyfriend for 4 years, so I'm not worried about that, but we do have some money saved up so we don't have to worry about finding a job right away, or if we do have to move back. I have thought about just taking vacations, but I have nothing keeping me in Pennsylvania, so why not move now while I still have time to find a place I really love. I know that there is a chance that it won't work out, or we won't be able to afford it and I've planned for that. Like I said, this is something we have been discussing for a few years, not just a spur of the moment decision. There are a lot of people living in California so it's obviously possible. Right now I'm just looking for a place with reasonable rent prices that isn't a complete dump. Again, i've been looking into Riverside, and also San Luis Obispo seems like it might be a nice area. Please let me know if you have any info on these areas, or any places I may have overlooked.

Old 07-12-2011, 03:55 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,852,200 times
Can you afford a visit so that you can explore the parts of California that you're drawn to?
I'd actually recommend San Luis Obispo (which is actually considered the central coast) over SoCal but that's just me.
I'd explore the central coast all the way up to Santa Cruz county.
Unless you're really attached to Southern California (and i'd ask why?) and you want to be on the coast, then i'd explore the central coast.
And never let anyone discourage you from your dream ... no matter how crazy it may seem.
California is a wonderful place but it may challenge you for a variety of reasons.
If it's worth it to you and your partner, you'll find your way.

Old 07-12-2011, 04:01 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
The problem with the "california dream" is that nobody seems to be able to idenitfy it what the dream is. I can see moving someplace for better weather but then that can be a lot of places besides CA. I guess I don't get the point of moving somewhere for no good reason except that it sounds good. For me, there would have to be something specific. CA is just a place, it's really not going to change anyones life any more than a move to any new place would.

In this case I think getting jobs would be hard. I suspect no college degrees? But find an apartment you can afford with some savings and give it a go. You probably won't land in your dream spot right away so don't worry about it, check out wherever your freinds used to live if they liked it there. You can't know anything about the best place to live until you really live somewhere and find a job.

Old 07-12-2011, 04:06 PM

2,190 posts, read 6,852,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
The problem with the "california dream" is that nobody seems to be able to idenitfy it what the dream is. I can see moving someplace for better weather but then that can be a lot of places besides CA. I guess I don't get the point of moving somewhere for no good reason except that it sounds good. For me, there would have to be something specific.
You cannot assume what motivates people's dreams and you cannot assume what is best for another or others.
The woman wants advice about California ... not about her life choices which are her business.
Not everyone moves through life from a solely left brain, logical place.
And they're young and still flexible and able to handle the chaos of California.
There are many reasons to move to California.
It's a special place ... it's just crazy and over populated.
Maybe they "belong" here ... maybe you don't.
Who's to say, right?
Not you, not me.
It doesn't matter if you don't "get the point".
It's not about you.
I always encourage people to move from their own inner promptings and to follow their heart and their dreams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California